Truenas becomes inaccessible

bryn32

Dabbler
Hi guys. I'm very new to all this, however I have had my Truenas set up for a few months now and have recently moved houses.

Currently using an old HP Elitedesk 800 with 2 4tb hdds.
It has an I5 6500 and 8gbs of ram. Booting off a brand new 240gb ssd.

I simply unplugged it at the old house and plugged it back in at the new house and it came back up. However, for some reason now after about half an hour or so, I can no longer access it thru the Web gui. If I reset the computer it comes back and I can access it again and use Plex on it. But no matter what after a short period it becomes inaccessible.

I have removed and reseated the ram, replaced the SATA cables to all drives with new and still having the problem. I connected a monitor and keyboard to it and for the short period it works the keyboard is responsive. Once i can no longer access the web gui, the system no longer responds to the keyboard connected directly to it.

Currently running version 13.0-u5.1. I thought id try and roll back to an earlier version as i only recently updated it after i moved but when i got into the boot section of the web page, i only have that version available to me.

Is there a way to go back to a previous version without losing anything or having to re setup the data pools or Plex?

Cheers

bryn32

Dabbler
So if i export the configs, then do a fresh install of TrueNas, then import the config file, itll all go back to how it was setup before?

The pools, Plex and Windows share will all be back? Or will i have to set some of it back up again?

Davvo

MVP
So if i export the configs, then do a fresh install of TrueNas, then import the config file, itll all go back to how it was setup before?

The pools, Plex and Windows share will all be back? Or will i have to set some of it back up again?
All as it was before, because you are not touching the data pools but only the boot pool.

If you use encryption or similar, make sure to save the passkeys/passwords as well by follow the guided procedure.

bryn32

Dabbler
That worked perfectly. Did a fresh install and everything is as it should be.

The system stayed up for quite some time too, however it still became unresponsive at some point this morning.
Im now not sure where to go.

Any tips on what to try next?

Davvo

MVP
Is the system unresponsive while this happens (like can't access the SMB share)?
I'd look into the DHCP side of the things...
Generally I'd say reseating the CPU and increasing your RAM could help, but I don't think that's the case here.

Last edited:

bryn32

Dabbler
The whole thing becomes inaccessible.

The Web gui doesn't load, the keyboard connected directly to it doesn't work. It still lights up and the monitor stays showing the console but pressing stuff does nothing. The SMB share on Windows becomes inaccessible. I reset it last night and it only stayed up for about half an hour again.

It has a static IP address set up in my router so it shouldn't be affected by the DHCP.

I've reseated the ram but not the CPU. I don't know how much it'll help but I can always do that.

bryn32

Dabbler
Well an update.

Removed and reseated the CPU.

Replaced the ram with a brand new stick of 16gb ram

Still having the same issue. Itll stay up for a bit but then just becomes unresponsive. Nothing makes sense anymore. It worked so well for the 2 or 3 months before the move and all i did was move houses.

bryn32

Dabbler
Does anyone have any other ideas? Im still not able to use it for much longer than an hour or 2

Davvo

MVP
Locate the logs and see what's happening.
Make sure to have any overclock function disabled (XMP and the likes).

bryn32

Dabbler
Where would i find the logs? Still learning my way around it.

I had a look in the bios and im not even sure i can set any overclocking. Ill double check tho. Thanks

bryn32

Dabbler
No overclocking settings in the BIOS. Its a pretty basic BIOS from HP. There was an Idle power setting that i turned off just in case.

bryn32

Dabbler
S__106078236.jpg

I turned off the Extended Idle Power States

bryn32

Dabbler
It is now Thursday and the system has been up for 3 days so far. Thats the longest its been up since we moved. I can only assume turning that setting off in the BIOS worked? Ill keep an eye on it.

Thanks for all the help.

Davvo

MVP
It doesn't really explain why it didn't happen in the old house, but if it works don't break it.