Truenas keeps freezing and becomes unresponsive

btross89

Cadet
As the title stated, I am having issues with my installation. Every couple of hours, it becomes non
responsive, no longer responds to ping, cannot be accessed by the browser, breaks smb shares and 1
lose my plex server as well. If I try and use the console via keyboard, mouse and monitor, it is
completely unresponsive. I then have to do a forced reboot (hold down the power button) and then
things start working as needed again, but only for a couple of hours, and then its rinse and repeat.
So far I have tried using only one stick of ram at a time and tried all 4 ram slots on the board, reseated
the CPU and reapplied thermal compound, and made sure all of my system fans are working to see if I can isolate the issue but nothing has worked.

System specs are as follows,

i5 6500 Processor

2x 16gb ddr4 memory modules (also tried 8gb sticks in single and paired configuration for sanity
check)

Was using a 500gb Crucial SSD as the boot drive, but reinstalled the OS onto a 256GB Kingston drive
and then imported my disks afterwards, with no change

2 4TB Seagate Iron wolf Drives

integrated GPU for video out

Dual Intel Gig NIC pcie card (also tried running it off of the Gig nic on the motherboard, also for sanity
check.)

OS Version - TrueNAS-13.0-U4 (recently updated from 12 but only AFTER these problems arose, in an
attempt to fix this issue)

I have never really had any issues with this machine that ran for 5 months before these problems
started, nor with any other deployment of truenas on assorted hardware, so I am not super familiar
with checking error logs within the system. If anyone knows of something I need to be looking for or
can point me in the right direction, I would be eternally grateful!

This is my first time posting and I think I have not violated any rules with this but if I have please let me know and I will rectify the error

Arwen

MVP
Since this happens within hours, have you tried a recent Linux distro?

If it does not happens on a recent Linux distro, then it would likely be drivers of TrueNAS. However, if it DOES happen with a recent Linux distro, then more likely hardware or firmware. And yes, even 5 month old hardware can fail :-(.

You also don't list your system board. That can make a difference. Many gaming system boards support over-clocking, which is not recommended for servers or NASes. And those gaming system boards might default to over-clocking or under volting.

But, you can try defaulting your BIOS and making sure over-clocking of everything, CPU, memory, graphics is disabled.

btross89

Cadet
Since this happens within hours, have you tried a recent Linux distro?

If it does not happens on a recent Linux distro, then it would likely be drivers of TrueNAS. However, if it DOES happen with a recent Linux distro, then more likely hardware or firmware. And yes, even 5 month old hardware can fail :-(.

You also don't list your system board. That can make a difference. Many gaming system boards support over-clocking, which is not recommended for servers or NASes. And those gaming system boards might default to over-clocking or under volting.

But, you can try defaulting your BIOS and making sure over-clocking of everything, CPU, memory, graphics is disabled.
This seems like it did it thank you! I appreciate your help, I went into the bios and seen that XMP was enabled (I am not sure how, I don't remember turning it on lol) and the system has been working rock solid for 14 hours straight with absolutely no issues at all. Fingers crossed! :smile:

Arwen

MVP
Great. You are welcome. Hopefully that will have solved the problem.

Dice

Wizard