TrueNAS 12.0-u6 and Plex Plugin

revv

Cadet
Alright, updating. I was able to install it and I'm not sure how. I tried at least 9-10 times to install it, failing every time, and on the 11th try it succeeded. I'm not sure what allowed it to complete successfully, but I do think that disabling IPv6 was involved.

If you find this post down the line, good luck my friend.

Cant get the plugin to install. Iave no idea what global settings should be. I have tried manual Vnet0 IPV4 24 and still get the github error message. NAT does not work either. Please any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• global.png
    global.png
    106.9 KB · Views: 133
  • netwrk-summary.png
    netwrk-summary.png
    79.7 KB · Views: 113

victort

Guru
You might want to try this alternative method which is much better.

danb35

Hall of Famer
And plugins are a dead feature walking; you shouldn't be using them at all:

Further down the rabbit hole we go. I will assume this is the same for all plugins and I'm going to need something for next cloud as well?

danb35

Hall of Famer
I will assume this is the same for all plugins
I can't imagine how you might have read the references above to say anything else.
I'm going to need something for next cloud as well?
Interestingly, the same user who did the Plex script did a Nextcloud script:

Since I really have no idea what I'm doing I will explain my situation and how far I've come and where I'm trying to go. I haven't used command Lines since the 90's when we got our 386dx with a whooping 25mb Hdd. So we really don't know what we are doing. I had a couple 3TB Hdd on NTFS file systems that I managed to import data into ZFS files on my "new" 8TB mirrored drives. This data is mostly movies and music. The end game here is to get the library added to Plex ( I had done this using windows) and also use some of the drive space as a cloud storage for mobile devices and computers in the house. I have gotten as far as mapping the drive to one of my desktops and now we are hung up with all of this. I'm not even sure that this is even the right platform for what I am trying t o achieve..

On your FreeNAS server, change to a convenient directory, and download this script using git clone https://github.com/danb35/freenas-iocage-plex. Then create a configuration file called plex-config using your preferred text editor. In its simplest form, the file would look like this:

Is this done in a Command shell?

How do I change directory if so?

Sorry for all the dumb questions... TIA for any assistance.

Where do input these parameters listed below?

JAIL_IP="192.168.1.75"
DEFAULT_GW_IP="192.168.1.1"
POOL_PATH="/mnt/tank"
These values must be set. They correspond to:

• JAIL_IP and DEFAULT_GW_IP are the IP addresses of the jail and your router, respectively.
  • POOL_PATH is the path for your main data pool's root directory.
Optional configuration values include:

• PLEX_MEDIA_PATH - The path your Plex media files are located in. If set, this script will mount this directory on /media inside the jail. Specify a full path, for example "/mnt/tank/Media".
  • USE_HW_TRANSCODE - If set to 1, the script will attempt to configure your system for hardware transcode in Plex. Defaults to 0. Please note that your hardware has to support hardware transcode, and that setting this variable will create a startup script and load a driver. Please see the bottom of this README file for a link to hardware requirements and instructions for Plex hardware transcode on FreeNAS.
  • PLEX_CONFIG_PATH - The path to store your Plex metadata and configuration. Defaults to $POOL_PATH/plex_data.
  • NETMASK - The netmask, in bits, for the network the Plex jail will be on. Defaults to 24, which is 255.255.255.0.
  • USE_BETA - If set to 1, the script will download and install the beta version of Plex Media Server. Defaults to 0.
$PLEX_CONFIG_PATH need not exist before running this script; if it doesn't, the script will create it. The script will also set ownership of that directory to the user/group IDs for Plex Media Server. If this directory already exists, it must not be using Windows permissions.

Note that if the script creates $PLEX_CONFIG_PATH, it will create it as a directory, not as a dataset. This means that it will not appear in, e.g., the Storage section of the FreeNAS GUI, where you could easily see how much space it's using, compression ratio, etc. If you want these capabilities, you should create the dataset before running the script, and then ensure that $PLEX_CONFIG_PATH is set appropriately.

Once you've prepared the configuration file, run the script by running ./plex-jail.sh. It should run for a few minutes and report completion. You can then add storage to your jail as desired (see Uncle Fester's Guide for one example), and log in to configure your media server.

Note that if you are interested in hardware transcode, instructions for setting this up in FreeNAS 11.3 can be found at https://github.com/kern2011/Freenas-Quicksync .

danb35

Hall of Famer
There's a support thread for that script, and this isn't it:

But in short,
  • Yes, you do all that at the command line
  • You change directories with the cd command.
  • You input those parameters into the config file you created using your preferred text editor--if you don't have a preferred text editor, ee and nano are both pretty easy to use.

So I actually got the Plugins to work after some tinkering. I've been doing this off of you tube videos and all of the videos I have watched the content makers have inadvertently omitted information. i set the IP in interfaces and did the install. It installed but to the wrong IP showing an IP starting with 172. I went into the install and changed the IP manually to a new IP 192.168.50.149 and BAM! in business. Thank you all of the assistance. I will be saving my configuration and will do more tinkering with script. This has been a fun and interesting project to say the least....