Unable to create a Plex Plugin

I managed to hose up my plex instance, so I decided to just remove and install from scratch (using the Plex Plugin from the Plugins list in the GUI.
I am getting this error:
Error: plex had a failure Exception: RuntimeError Message: + Acquiring DHCP address: FAILED, address received: 0.0.0.0/8 Stopped plex due to DHCP failure Partial plugin destroyed
CLOSE

In addition to hosing up the plex, I upgraded my network to a Google Wifi First Gen, so there's that too :-/
I am able to ping into and out of the truenas server (connecting via ssh).

Perhaps this is related... I am able to ping by host (yahoo.com) from the Truenas screen, but unable to ping by local host name (but I can by local ip address). Note that I can ping to local hosts by name on my Windows laptop.

Here is my /etc/resolv/conf:
# Generated by resolvconf
search mydomain.com lan
nameserver 1.1.1.1
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 10.13.0.1

Here are my Network -> Summary, Network -> Global Configuration, Network -> Interfaces, Network -> Static Routes pages

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-23 180059.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-07-23 180059.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 318
  • Screenshot 2022-07-23 180219.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-07-23 180219.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 301
  • Screenshot 2022-07-23 180611.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-07-23 180611.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 294
  • Screenshot 2022-07-23 180805.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-07-23 180805.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 436
If I change the order of the nameservers to be:
# Generated by resolvconf
search mydomain.com lan
nameserver 10.13.0.1
nameserver 1.1.1.1
nameserver 8.8.8.8
I can ping my local devices as well as devices outside of my network by hostname (and domain in the case of hosts outside of my network.)
Unfortunately, when I reboot, the /etc/resolv/conf is overwritten and I am unable to ping local hosts by name

I think I got it... I added my router IP address to be the first in the list of nameservers on the Network -> Global Configuration, Network page.
Local and network hostnames are resolving now.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-23 190314.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-07-23 190314.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 409
Unfortunately, I am still getting the error when trying to install the default Plex plugin:

Install​

Error: plex had a failure Exception: RuntimeError Message: + Acquiring DHCP address: FAILED, address received: 0.0.0.0/8 Stopped plex due to DHCP failure Partial plugin destroyed

Volts

Patron
I added my router IP address to be the first in the list of nameservers
If the router is providing authoritative DNS resolution for the LAN, consider using it as the only nameserver. The Internet isn't reachable if that device goes down anyway.

STATIC ROUTES SCREENSHOT
The route destination of 10.2.0.0 probably doesn't make sense. The destination should include a netmask, perhaps 10.2.0.0/24.

(Routing can be complicated, and this is probably a whole 'nother topic. How will packets from behind that gateway reach this system?)

Active Media Subtype: 100baseTX
Does this system really have 100Mbps Ethernet?

Acquiring DHCP address: FAILED
Plugins are based on FreeBSD jails. In the long run you may be happier creating a standard jail and installing Plex yourself.

When creating the plugin, did you modify any settings (DHCP, NAT, Advanced Plugin Installation)?

If DHCP is chosen, creating a Plex plugin will do a few things behind the scenes. TrueNAS will create a bridge, add the host's default interface to the bridge, and connect the jail to the bridge. There are a few ways that can go wrong.

But first, is DHCP available on the network? :smile:

Wow! Thanks for the detailed response.

consider using it as the only nameserver
Excellent suggestion!

The route destination of 10.2.0.0 probably doesn't make sense
Good catch. Changed to 10.2.0.0/24

Does this system really have 100Mbps Ethernet?
It does for now (this is the built-in ethernet. Once I get my network headaches worked out, I have a four port GigE card waiting to install)

did you modify any settings (DHCP, NAT, Advanced Plugin Installation)?
Sigh... yes. This is a major source of confusion for me. It is working now so I'm not going to mess with it :-/

is DHCP available on the network?
Yes, the Google mesh router is handling it

For some reason my plex went offline a couple of days ago and I was unable to get it back up (it had been working at home as well as remotely.) Out of frustration, I deleted the plugin/jail and attempted to recreate it. Whenever I try to create a new plugin or jail, it fails with an IP address of 0.0.0.0.

It would appear that the TrueNAS network settings seem to be acceptable as I am currently remotely accessing the network TrueNAS is on via the OpenVPN server on the TrueNAS.

I checked my network settings and for some reason my 10.2.0.0 route destination has changed from 10.2.0.0/24 (and I'm reluctant to put it back until I get home as it seems to be working as I am VPN'ed into it.)

I have had my 4-port gig-e network card installed for a few weeks (TrueNAS is running through igb3)

I am using the default settings when I create the plex plug-in (the only thing I am changing is the jail name). I have also tried different network ports as well as static IP addresses, but the installation never completes because the network is not configured correctly.
I have tried creating a jail with similar results.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-10 074247.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-08-10 074247.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 376
  • Screenshot 2022-08-10 073957.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-08-10 073957.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 208
  • Screenshot 2022-08-10 075333.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-08-10 075333.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 180
  • Screenshot 2022-08-10 075424.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-08-10 075424.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 172
  • Screenshot 2022-08-10 075459.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-08-10 075459.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 275
For some reason I think the problem lies with the truenas network configuration, but it seems to be working fine (for the truenas installation and openvpn server). I'm not sure where to look or even test at this point

homer27081990

Patron
Just out of instinct and some limited experience, you sound like you have a bad ethernet cable. I know, how come it communicates then? Check it just in case, I've seen many seemingly "haunted" systems where the problem was a bad cable together with NICs (network cards) that were playing hero with the bad connection instead of being divas about it and refusing to connect entirely (as they should, this isn't WiFi after all, a bad connection is a failed connection). Replace any reused (or stepped-on or pet-chewed) cables, reset all network settings, remove all custom config file entries, remove and reinstall plex, and try again.

Last edited:

homer27081990

Patron
Also, repatch any patch panels. It seems to me that it all started when you change the router(? Google WiFi first gen), not because of TrueNAS... I would first j'accuse! the router cables. Why? Because different routers => different NIC quality.

Good suggestions, but...
The switch is right next to the NAS and we have no pets.
We have no patch panels
Cables between the switch and the nic are either new or in excellent condition
I have tried different ports on the nic
This began happening well after the installation of the Google network

On the other hand, you make some good points...
When I get back home, I will try swapping nic ports and cables and adding an additional two cables to fully populate the nic.

In meantime, I'm looking for issues that I can address/test/modify remotely

homer27081990

Patron
Hi! I gather you are a man with a serious schedule, I am not trying to waste your time. I mentioned pets because it is the number two reason for bad cables in domestic IT (after inconsiderately placed chairs). If not the cables, maybe a defective router or PON/VDSL modem, then? It could also boil down to bad router config (mss and mss6 clamping not set, bad mtu for pppoe, IPv6 not playing nicely, some IGMP snooping debacle?). My instinct points me towards the electrical/network direction, because those intermittent, a-little-different-each-time problems are typically either electrical(meaning ethernet) or networking issues (less common).

Believe me, I am not trying to diminish your recommendations. I too have seen simple problems manifest themselves in the most unusual way, so I really do appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Its just that I am not home ATM and need to pursue what avenues I can remotely without destroying what is currently working

homer27081990

Patron
Believe me, I am not trying to diminish your recommendations. I too have seen simple problems manifest themselves in the most unusual way, so I really do appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Its just that I am not home ATM and need to pursue what avenues I can remotely without destroying what is currently working
Good luck! I look forward to hearing news!

Any other suggestions that I can look into remotely?

Install wireshark and look at your network traffic. Best thing you can do
Unfortunately I don't have a machine on my network at home that I can install it remotely. Of course once I get home, I will have my laptop....
Its interesting that there are *SO* many similar network issues with standing up a new jail but none seem to solve my issue :-/

homer27081990

Patron
Based on personal experience, I urge you to not try anything drastic remotely. Try to be patient until you get home. I probably did not understand what you meant by "once I get home". I thought you were at work for the day or something. You are probably on a business trip or vacation...? Anyway, no tinkering until you get there I would suggest.