TrueNAS 12.0-u6 and Plex Plugin

Hi, I hope someone can assist please. I'm new to setting up a NAS but I thought it'd be a good solution for a Plex server.

All was well, I have 2 x 1TB HDD's and I've set this up as separate drives / pools within the NAS (for specific file types etc)

However, when I tried to set up the Plex Plugin with DHCP settings, I get the following message. "Error: Plex had a failure Exception: RuntimeError Message: + Acquiring DHCP address: FAILED, address received: ERROR, check jail logs Stopped Plex due to DHCP failure Partial plugin destroyed"

I have tried the NAT option but the Plex web page will not open from the manage link.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Ps. If it's relevant, my router is an ASUS RT-AX92U

Many thanks

for reading this far.

\
David

vidx

Dabbler
Have you tried to manually set an IP address?

Hi, thanks for helping.

I’m a bit of a newbie to networking and a NAS. So please excuse any dumb questions from me etc.

I did set a static IP for the actual NAS 192.168.50.51 on my router and then removed it. I had the same problem both times. It won’t allow me to install the Plex plugin.

Many thanks again

David

vidx

Dabbler
Assuming Truenas is set up correctly since you are able to to install a plugin from the GUI, try setting a static IP for Plex

Capture.JPG

Untick DHCP and NAT

vidx

Dabbler
No, that would be an unused IP address that does not conflict with any other devices on the same network, e.g. 192.168.50.68

Boom. I think we’ve smashed it. I got an error message confirming what you said. So I tried the IP ending 52 instead. It took a while but eventually it installed. I’ll let you know how the setup goes.

You’re amazing. Many thanks.

David

vidx

Dabbler
Glad to help!

djkt1980

Cadet
@vidx and @balloonhead26 .. I am in the same/similar boat with my plex plugin and installation. While attempting a normal DHCP box ticket install, I also received the exact same error code...see below.

"Error: Plex had a failure Exception: RuntimeError Message: + Acquiring DHCP address: FAILED, address received: ERROR, check jail logs Stopped Plex due to DHCP failure Partial plugin destroyed"

**I then searched, read, and even watched Youtube networking videos (yes, attempting to educate myself in order to not have to ask questions) and attempted to install the the NAT box ticked as the person suggested in the very next link listed below. It install, but then the ip address (example .. 0.0.0.0:00/web) did not work.

**I have attempted your directions you listed in this thread by unchecking both DHCP and NAT. Tried 1st with IPv4 interface left un-selected. No luck. Then tried with the vnet0 selected with same IP address ( I pinged the address to make sure it was available). I have since tried multiple variations of vnet0 selected with different IPs and netmask #s selected. I have been unsuccessful with getting the installation completed.

2 screen shots included.
Screen shot of ERROR reason.png

NO DHCP or NAT selected, dynamice IPV4 listed with netmask.png

At this point, trying anything you guys can recommend will be helpful. Thanks in advance!

Kevin T.

SYSTEM..
Processor: Intel Core I5 – 2320
MB: ASUS P8B75-M/CSM
RAM: CRUCIAL DDR3 1333mhz non-ECC (4x4GB .. 16GB total)
SSD0: Samsung RED Tab
HDD1:Seagate Ironwolf NAS 4TB
HDD2: Seagate Ironwolf NAS 4TB

vidx

Dabbler

djkt1980

Cadet
@vidx .. Thanks for the ultra-fast reply! I took your advice, input data, and here is the result ... :-(

Screenshot 2021-12-19 201638.png

vidx

Dabbler
Looks like your NAS has no access to the Internet

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
@djkt1980, check your server's network settings under Network->Global Configuration. Typically, this is because you've omitted either a default gateway or DNS servers or both.

djkt1980

Cadet
@vidx .. Might be correct, however, I was able to install 2 other plugins.. NextCloud and AdGuardHome .. Attempted these just to see if other plugins could be installed.

@Samuel Tai ... Here is a screen shot of my Global Config settings. I'm not sure what information I need to input in this area.

Network -- Global Config.png

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Are you using DHCP for your server? What does Network->Network Summary show?

djkt1980

Cadet
@Samuel Tai .. Here is the Network Summary. I am running a DECO P9 mesh network wifi/router and I have 192.168.68.148 reserved on it.
Network Summary.png

vidx

Dabbler
Network summary looks fine. Perhaps you might want to use Google DNS as your nameservers. In Global Config, use 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 and your router IP as the IPv4 Default Gateway.

ShannyJ

Cadet
This was just what I needed! I'm new to the Truenas game but very eager to play! Thanks for this!

revv

Cadet
Hi everyone.

I'm having the exact same situation. Fresh TrueNAS install.

At first I was getting the DHCP error. I tweaked a few things following recommendations on this thread and others I found and I got past it. But when I did I got hit with the Github error:

Error: plex had a failure Exception: GitCommandError Message: Cmd('git') failed due to: exit code(128) cmdline: git clone -v https://github.com/freenas/iocage-plugin-plexmediaserver.git /mnt/Storage Pool/iocage/jails/plex/plugin stderr: 'Cloning into '/mnt/Storage Pool/iocage/jails/plex/plugin'... fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/freenas/iocage-plugin-plexmediaserver.git/': Could not resolve host: github.com ' Partial plugin destroyed
CLOSE

The box has access to the Internet. I can ping stuff using the shell and I'm connected to it remotely using my VPN.

These are my settings: https://imgur.com/a/GsSEnDB

This is my network summary:

Screen Shot 2023-01-25 at 11.13.06 AM.png

Any ideas of what could be happening?

revv

Cadet
If it helps, I can see that the virtual interface gets created and connects to my network on the IP I specified. I see tons of activity, mostly downloading, on it prior to getting this failed message. So I know it is connecting to my network and it has Internet.