TrueNAS 12.0-U3 is Available

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
TrueNAS 12.0-U2.1 has been very robust and is now the most widely used version of all TrueNAS and FreeNAS software. Congrats to the Engineering team and thanks to the Community for all the help in identifying and resolving issues.

TrueNAS 12.0-U3 is now available and expected to be the best quality release ever and hence we've declared it as "ready for prime time". There is a blog on the subject here: https://www.ixsystems.com/blog/truenas-12-0-reaches-prime-time/

U3 is mostly bug fixes and there are a few additions to improve the performance, supportability and quality of the software. Release notes are here: https://www.truenas.com/docs/releasenotes/core/12.0u3/

With the software quality improvement, there have also been major improvements in the documentation. Check it out. https://www.truenas.com/docs/core/

Given the quality level achieved with 12.0-U2.1 and now U3, it has been decided that FreeNAS 11.3-U5 is the last of the FreeNAS releases. Any updates to to FreeNAS to resolve security or quality issues will be done as updates to TrueNAS CORE 12.0.

If asked the question by a new user "Should I install FreeNAS or TrueNAS CORE?".... the answer was often complex and depended on the use-case and the value of the data. Now it is simple: TrueNAS CORE

We appreciate the feedback as everyone updates. It's like a vaccine, everyone wants to know there are no clots. No news is usually good news, but we'd like a more affirmative indication.

Yes, I did transition several 11.3-U5 servers overnight to 12.0-U3 and so far, so good. I should point out these were replication targets and a test server so, nothing too complex or critical. I have yet to transition across a couple of primary servers with complex configurations - multiple jails, VMs and so on. I'll reserve my verdict until then.

After this poll, I decided to hold off migrating to 12.0-U2. I think it may have been a bit ambitious suggesting in the release roadmap that U2 would be mission-critical ready.

Last edited:

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
After this poll, I decided to hold off migrating to 12.0-U2. I think it may have been a bit ambitious suggesting in the release roadmap that U2 would be mission-critical ready.

Its arguable, 12.0-U2.1 was a minor update for an annoying cosmetic issue. All together, the U2 software has not caused any major issues with any of our mission critical customers. The only disruptions to service were caused by an 11.3 bug that made some updates not go smoothly. U3 is better still, but there are no claims of zero bugs. We have seen that it performs better and is more reliable than 11.3-U5 in the lab under stress testing.

I do however agree that its worth being conservative for critical data and applications. Why update if everything is working well? Wait for confirmation of a specific release.

s00hr7

Dabbler
Hey, I've updated yesterday from 12.0-U2 to 12.0-U3 and everything went smoothly, except that now the dashboard isn't able to load the widget:

tn1.png

The metrics are missing for CPU, memory, and network interfaces. I couldn't find any errors in the dev console and the metrics are there if I look at the reporting page (they are also getting relayed to my influxdb instance) so this seems to be purely related to the dashboard widgets. Any idea where else I could check why they aren't loading?

Hey, I've updated yesterday from 12.0-U2 to 12.0-U3 and everything went smoothly, except that now the dashboard isn't able to load the widget:

View attachment 46514

The metrics are missing for CPU, memory, and network interfaces. I couldn't find any errors in the dev console and the metrics are there if I look at the reporting page (they are also getting relayed to my influxdb instance) so this seems to be purely related to the dashboard widgets. Any idea where else I could check why they aren't loading?
Try clearing your browser cache.

s00hr7

Dabbler
Tried clearing the browser cache, using an incognito window, and opening the UI on a system I haven't opened it before, still the same issue, unfortunately.

RegularJoe

Patron
Hi All,

Are there any new features in 12.0-U3? zfs-2.-.4-3?

zfs-2.0.4-3
zfs-kmod-v2021040600-zfs_79bb891fc

Just checking.

Thanks,
Joe

fisherwei

Dabbler
does U3 fixed ACoW bug?

• While OpenZFS ACoW (Async Copy-n-Write) was disabled as part of the process of fixing a corruption bug in TrueNAS 12.0-U1.1, it is expected that full ACoW will be reactivated in TrueNAS 12.0-U3 (NAS-108627).

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
No new ZFS features.. just minor improvements.

OpenZFS ACoW was not included. A potential fix exists, but there is not a reliable method of testing it in a short period of time. It may need to go through an extended alpha-beta-rc cycle.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
This is probably https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/NAS-110171 (you can check your middlewared.log to confirm).

I ran into this as well. Fortunately, manually applying https://github.com/truenas/middleware/pull/6772/commits/5426a7d0d7fd11d4d5c6c77ede9993204e611e14 and restarting middlewared worked as a fix for me.

This UI bug seems to be correlated with having vnets for plugins or jails and only impacts a small minority of systems. If it is seen in other situations, please report that.

@morganL - strange that the CPU/Memory graphs are related to vnets. Any idea why? I would expect that the networking info would be affect by having vnets. (I have vnets and the "fix" worked for me).

Philip Robar

Contributor
After upgrading I lost access to the GUI (I tried multiple browsers on macOS and Linux) and Guest access to all of my SMB shares stopped working. I had to roll back from the console.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
@morganL - strange that the CPU/Memory graphs are related to vnets. Any idea why? I would expect that the networking info would be affect by having vnets. (I have vnets and the "fix" worked for me).
Its just a code path issue.... vnets don't return a valid media type ID and this changed the execution path. So, its a small issue with vnets that triggered a bug. Our normal test systems didn't seem to have this issue. The issue will be resolved in U4, but the patch will work until then.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
After upgrading I lost access to the GUI (I tried multiple browsers on macOS and Linux) and Guest access to all of my SMB shares stopped working. I had to roll back from the console.
Surprising.... can you document your setup and how you updated.. from what version. It would be useful to know if anyone else experienced this?

Philip Robar

Contributor
Surprising.... can you document your setup and how you updated.. from what version. It would be useful to know if anyone else experienced this?
My setup is in my signature and it's up to date, I only updated the Lenovo server. I updated from TrueNAS-12.0-U2.1 via the GUI. One other person, @davidjb, reported seeing the shares problem: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/truenas-12-0-reaches-prime-time.92513/

The shares are all using the default SMB values with guest access allowed and the datasets are owned by user "nobody" and group "wheel" with share and dataset ACLs of Everyone/FULL/ALLOWED. If you'd like a before and/or after settings dump of some type just let me know. (I'm very comfortable working from the command line.)

By losing access to the GUI I mean that I get the login dialog, but after entering the user name and password the progress bar above the dialog starts working, but I never get logged in.

I'll try my other server and see if the same thing happens.

apwiggins

Dabbler

Rand

Guru

hescominsoon

Patron
Yes, I did transition several 11.3-U5 servers overnight to 12.0-U3 and so far, so good. I should point out these were replication targets and a test server so, nothing too complex or critical. I have yet to transition across a couple of primary servers with complex configurations - multiple jails, VMs and so on. I'll reserve my verdict until then.

i ahve held off on U3. IME cosmetic issues usualy mean underlying issues that are not cosmentic...especially the issues about U3 that are beginning to populate the forums.