TrueNAS 12.0 Schedule

SecCon

Contributor
I am back!

This looks awesome and I regret having abandoned my FreeNAS for other ventures, but I recently got more hardware and while having an ESXi running, there is only so much you can get as a small SOHO with no real dedicated server expenditure. FreeNAS and eventually TrueNAS seems to be the way to go. I only hope you have no CPU compatibility limitations as the ones VMWare have implemented for Xeon X5650.

ornias

Wizard
I am back!

This looks awesome and I regret having abandoned my FreeNAS for other ventures, but I recently got more hardware and while having an ESXi running, there is only so much you can get as a small SOHO with no real dedicated server expenditure. FreeNAS and eventually TrueNAS seems to be the way to go. I only hope you have no CPU compatibility limitations as the ones VMWare have implemented for Xeon X5650.
FreeBSD cpu compatibility seems quite decent... (besides some powersaving issues and some flukes with early ryzen, but lets be real: every OS had early ryzen issues)
In the end it's somewhat close to just being BSD with a GUI sauce, so it should run about the same hardware compatibility CPU wise...

SecCon

Contributor
I also saw they are implementing 2FA with 12 so that is also something I am hoping for.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
I am back!

Welcome back! :)

cndk

Cadet
Hi there
I'm currently on version v12-nightly june 22 release.
Will I'll be able to update to October release without losing current config?

c77dk

Patron
Hi there
I'm currently on version v12-nightly june 22 release.
Will I'll be able to update to October release without losing current config?

When you're on that -NIGHTLY I would suggest going to the -BETA train. Can be done without loosing data, and with -BETA2 you get a lot of fixes for stuff in your current build.

Apollo

Wizard
Just did the upgrade of my Threadripper 1900X to TrueNAS-12.0-BETA2.
Plugins, jails and VM's all seem to be working fine.

cndk

Cadet
When you're on that -NIGHTLY I would suggest going to the -BETA train. Can be done without loosing data, and with -BETA2 you get a lot of fixes for stuff in your current build.
Thank you for that. Can I jump straight to beta 2, or I must do beta first?

LE: it worked, everything is just fine. big 10x!

Last edited:

sretalla