TrueNAS 12.0 Schedule

Yorick

Wizard
that there would no longer be a freenas column on the chart

That's actually a good question. Somewhat "obviously" FreeNAS 11.3 won't go away immediately, as FreeNAS 11.2 releases are still being worked on.

And, I can't find for the life of me a lifecycle policy for the software or an EOL notice for the software. All I can find is hardware, here: https://www.ixsystems.com/blog/library/discontinued-products/

Is that my lacking Google-Fu, or an actual oversight?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity

Yorick

Wizard
Fascinating. That may bear revising. Just as going for TrueNAS and no more shark as a brand builds confidence, so does having a clearly laid out lifecycle policy.

I know my customers would not take any product seriously that didn't have some form of lifecycle policy, even though those tend to be quite flexible usually: "We will announce EOL 5 years ahead, then N1 months to End of Sale, after that N2 months to end of engineering support, then N3 months to end of vuln and bug fixes, then N4 months to end of support / end of life".

Mark Knutson

Cadet
That's actually a good question. Somewhat "obviously" FreeNAS 11.3 won't go away immediately, as FreeNAS 11.2 releases are still being worked on.

And, I can't find for the life of me a lifecycle policy for the software or an EOL notice for the software. All I can find is hardware, here: https://www.ixsystems.com/blog/library/discontinued-products/

Is that my lacking Google-Fu, or an actual oversight?

So I am thinking I will wait until the release version of truenas free version and switch over. I don't actually need anything beyond SMB, but I like to keep reasonably current and new releases have admin type improvements. I am a developer, so its nice to see IX improve their release process--devops?. I saw a presentation from the microsoft sql server team a couple of years ago. They have one code image--azure, enterprise, developer, express all the same code. The licensing process sets a sku in the product that changes behaviors as appropriate. They also re-write a quarter of their code on each release--I am impressed, but I digress... ;)

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
The FreeNAS column is just there to compare and contrast the 11.3 release cycle vs how 12.0 is going to work.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
A quick question. An announcement said that products would unify on truenas 12. So, I would have expected that by december--after both products are GA, that there would no longer be a freenas column on the chart. Not a criticism, just wanting to understand what is happening. Thanks for a great software product, I have a freenas nas running at home.

FreeNAS 11.3 will be available for the foreseeable future. Updating FreeNAS 11.3 will be a non-disruptive upgrade to a TrueNAS 12.0 version.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Really exciting news, nice job iXsystems!

I have a question concerning ZFS Native Encryption: I checked up on this about a year ago, an important question back then was by what means the encryption keys for the native ZFS encryption were to be provided (stored locally, file on an USB-Stick, USB-Token like YubiKey etc.). Any news on this, and will there be an option not to save it locally (therefore the USB device discussion), or are there plans to introduce such an option later?

Thank you very much!

TrueNAS 12.0 can store its encryption keys locally, much like it does with Self Encrypting Drives. The Enterprise version will also have the option for KMIP (Key Management Interoperability Protocol) which allows keys to be centrally managed via a Key Manager and a security officer.

c77dk

Patron
Haven't seen any builds for a week - are you still looking for a BETA release today ?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Patience, young padawan ;)

c77dk

Patron
Yes, you will be able to switch. Once 12.0-BETA1 is tagged / pushed, you'll be able to switch to that train, and then follow it through RC/RELEASE progression.

Will BETA1 be the only chance to switch trains? Or will we be able to continue on NIGHTLY (and continue helping with tests) until RC1, and then switch or something like that?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Last edited:

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Will BETA1 be the only chance to switch trains? Or will we be able to continue on NIGHTLY (and continue helping with tests) until RC1, and then switch or something like that?

NIGHTLY for TrueNAS 12.0 will still be available. We appreciate the testing.
BETA provides a "release" with release notes and repeatable behavior - this is better for running a system.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Now that the good news is out on Twitter, how do I switch trains?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Found the manual update file. Backup NAS goes first ...

Alecmascot

Guru

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Backup NAS done, now Home NAS ...

pitbullb

Cadet
When I try to do the manual update it says
Unable to downgrade from TrueNAS-12.0-MASTER-202006220424 to TrueNAS-12.0-BETA

Any idea?

Edit: Thank you Patrick

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Just look three posts higher ... I linked to the solution.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Nothing unusual, all services up and running.

And you even fixed NAS-106625 - or reverted the changes to interface options - anyway, I have two perfectly working systems. Thank you so much, folks!