TrueNAS 12.0 Schedule

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
...even though iX is saying that a RC should be fine for home use. I think I'll wait for -RELEASE, if not -U1 or -U2.

iXsystems understands everyone makes their own decision, based on their desire for new features or stability. After 3,000 BETA users plus our own testing we think RC1 is safe. However, users that have zero time or interest in going through a bug resolution process may decide to do as you recommend, especially if their system is important to their work or lives.

We appreciate both the early adopters that help us find issues, and the late adopters that help us avoid issues. It's a Community that makes it all work well.

Andrew Ostrom

Explorer
When I ran Product Management or Engineering I hated the kind of question I'm going to ask. So, now that I'm just a user, I'll ask anyway!

I see in the schedule that 12.0 is supposed to release this month. I just updated to 11.3-U5 and I'm wondering if I should wait for the release or install RC1 now. I have an essentially single-user 50TB server (SuperMicro/Xeon E5-2690, 10GbE, etc) with one data pool and one jail with Plex. My server supports my PC, my laptop, and Plex clients on TVs and streaming devices and such. Since the rest of the family are Luddites it's essentially just me as the user on any of the devices.

If the release is coming soon I'll wait - I looked at the bug list on Jira in the OP; that looks like a shorter list than any I've ever seen for a .0 release.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
When I ran Product Management or Engineering I hated the kind of question I'm going to ask. So, now that I'm just a user, I'll ask anyway!

I see in the schedule that 12.0 is supposed to release this month. I just updated to 11.3-U5 and I'm wondering if I should wait for the release or install RC1 now. I have an essentially single-user 50TB server (SuperMicro/Xeon E5-2690, 10GbE, etc) with one data pool and one jail with Plex. My server supports my PC, my laptop, and Plex clients on TVs and streaming devices and such. Since the rest of the family are Luddites it's essentially just me as the user on any of the devices.

If the release is coming soon I'll wait - I looked at the bug list on Jira in the OP; that looks like a shorter list than any I've ever seen for a .0 release.

I run PM here so understand the dilemma. 12.0 RC1 is doing well and has about 5,000 active systems.... so quality is very close to RELEASE quality. If you need any of the features, I can recommend it, if you do it cautiously or it's a new system. However, if you don't need it, you can wait a few weeks, the quality will be higher and there will be more experience with "production" upgrades.

Andrew Ostrom

Explorer
I run PM here so understand the dilemma. 12.0 RC1 is doing well and has about 5,000 active systems.... so quality is very close to RELEASE quality. If you need any of the features, I can recommend it, if you do it cautiously or it's a new system. However, if you don't need it, you can wait a few weeks, the quality will be higher and there will be more experience with "production" upgrades.
Thanks for the answer.

So, it's getting close to release day. I did a bit of looking around but didn't see the answer, so I was wondering what FreeBSD version TrueNAS 12 is based on? 11.4 or does 12 mean 12? That would be 12.1 I assume?

I know they were trying to move closer to unification, so I'm not sure where to find the information.

Thanks in advance!

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
So, it's getting close to release day. I did a bit of looking around but didn't see the answer, so I was wondering what FreeBSD version TrueNAS 12 is based on? 11.4 or does 12 mean 12? That would be 12.1 I assume?

Steven, If will be FreeBSD 12.1.. just like the RC1 version.

Steven, If will be FreeBSD 12.1.. just like the RC1 version.
Thanks for that.

I'm not running the beta, so I couldn't check. So 12.1 it is... Thanks again...

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
It is 12-STABLE, so 12.2 at the moment.

Gcon

Explorer
It is 12-STABLE, so 12.2 at the moment.
https://www.freebsd.org/where.html lists 12.2 (currently at RC3 as of 19th October 2020) as the "development release" with notes saying "Please note that these images are, by their very nature, intended for testing and should not be used in production environments."

That sounds a bit off-putting, if what you say is true. Could it be that iXsystems are waiting for 12.2-RELEASE before any release of TrueNAS 12? More info about 12.2 RC's here: https://www.freebsd.org/news/newsflash.html

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
No, it means that iXsystems track the "RELENG_12" branch of FreeBSD and do their own quality assurance and release engineering independent of any FreeBSD release.

See "STABLE" branch here:

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's really nothing new and frankly has never been a significant source of bugs.

Daisuke

Contributor
From your roadmap. TrueNAS 12 is supposed to be released today?

danb35

Hall of Famer

tim64

Dabbler
Hi,

Use-caseQualityFreeNAS 11.3TrueNAS 12.0
Business Users4U1RELEASEOctober
Mission Critical5U2U1December

will there be bug-fix-releases between TrueNAS-12.0-RELEASE and TrueNAS-12.0-U1?

thanks.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Hi,

will there be bug-fix-releases between TrueNAS-12.0-RELEASE and TrueNAS-12.0-U1?

thanks.
Yes and No. There will likely be nightly builds of U1 until it's release but those are more for developer/testers, but U1 is the first formal bug fix which will contain the most critical items found at the time, followed by U2, U3, and so on.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
The primary reason for these gaps is that bug-fixes require testing... a full QA test cycle is about 2 weeks. It more efficient to bundle all fixes and a couple of features into the one Update that then gets tested well.

In the interim, the Nightlies are available for anyone technical that needs the fix or wants to verify it, but not recommended for production systems.