Testing FreeNAS 11 in VMware Player NIC unconfigurable

Status
Not open for further replies.

expediter

Dabbler
I downloaded FreeNAS 11 .iso, and tried to run it in VMware Player 14.1.0, using Manjaro linux.
The host machine is a Ryzen 1700x with the Asus Prime x370-PRO motherboard. 32 Gigs of ram
This has a Intel NIC
Code:
26:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I211 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. I211 Gigabit Network Connection
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 24
	Memory at f7500000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
	I/O ports at e000
	Memory at f7520000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: igb
	Kernel modules: igb

The host machine has the ethernet listed as
Code:
ifconfig
enp38s0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
		inet 192.168.254.11  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 192.168.254.255
		inet6 fe80::changedit0:f42e  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
		ether 60:changedittoo:7f  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
		RX packets 6234948  bytes 8512807623 (7.9 GiB)
		RX errors 0  dropped 182  overruns 0  frame 0
		TX packets 4910187  bytes 455486447 (434.3 MiB)
		TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0
		device memory 0xf7500000-f751ffff

lo: flags=73<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING>  mtu 65536
		inet 127.0.0.1  netmask 255.0.0.0
		inet6 ::1  prefixlen 128  scopeid 0x10<host>
		loop  txqueuelen 1000  (Local Loopback)
		RX packets 6961  bytes 583999 (570.3 KiB)
		RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
		TX packets 6961  bytes 583999 (570.3 KiB)
		TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

The VMware Player is looking for eth0, not lo, or enp38s0 , and I don't see how to configure it to use the existing NIC.
Code:
Could not connect 'Ethernet0' to virtual network '/dev/vmnet1'. More information can be found in the vmware.log file.
Failed to connect virtual device 'Ethernet0'.  
AND
Code:
 Error toggling removable device: Failed to connect virtual device 'ethernet0'. 
Are the two errors I get when attempting to change or add the ethernet host whether in bridge, Host only, or NAT.
I have tried all of the options that are in the vm for configuring it, and I don't see a promiscuous mode. I am trying to test out my understanding of FreeNAS so that when my parts arrive, I can go ahead and start running it . (testing memory, cpu, board, disks.) The Ram and CPU are used so I want to test them asap.
Does anyone know how to bypass this holdback?
Do I have to rename my NIC as eth0 in manjaro linux in order for VMware to see it?

Last edited by a moderator:

joeschmuck

Old Man
You do want NAT mode. Have you read this link about setting up promiscious mode? I've not used the Linux version of VMWare Player before however I will try to help.

Any reason you are using such large text? It comes off as annoying. Maybe if you could use normal sized text and only bold or enlarge key pieces that would be easier to read. It won't impact my offering good advice, just a small request.

expediter

Dabbler
joeshmuck, Sorry about the text size, it wasn't intentional. I did a copy and paste and the browser I was using didn't show it like that until (hours later) I viewed it on another device and by then I was kind of frustrated with vmware. So, Sorry all.

Yes, I did read that link, but the vmware player version i was using apparently did not have any such mode as promicuous or as far as that goes, very much ability to to anything with networking. I suspect that I may need the Enterprise machine version in order to make it work.
That said, I have found a fix, and that is to use VirtualBox instead. It works great. I had a little go around with the settings, but I did get it going. It does have promiscuous mode and it works fine.

I had a little trouble getting some permissions set for users/groups/directories, but I think I have an understanding of how it works. TIme will tell. Now I am impatiently waiting for my hardware to show up and start the build. I appreciate your offer.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Glad to hear you found a way around the problem. You shouldn't have to buy an enterprise version of VMWare to make this work but as I said, I have not used the Linux version of this product so maybe there is some odd behaviour here. The Windoze version works fine and you could also run ESXi 6.5 for free and it works fine as well. Of course you just wanted to evaluate FreeNAS in a VM on your OS so none of those comments actually help you.

If you intend to use FreeNAS as your storage solution then I would invite you to gather up all your throughts on what you want to use FreeNAS for and how much storage capacity you think you will need for 3 to 5 years. I say 3 to 5 years because hard drives are lasting up to and beyond 5 years typically these days. Mt WD Red hard drives which I have recently removed from service temporarilly have just over 5 years on them with no errors. I will place them back into service in another system hopefully in the coming weeks and see how long they last. Also the importance of your data is critical as you will need to know the redundancy level.

I hope your testing experience is a good one. While you are testing it, create and destroy your pools, play with encrypted pools too and realize that encrypted pools are not for everyone, we actually recommend against using them unless you have a real need for it. Play with the jails which are going to be going away for the most part in FreeNAS 11.2 but will be available via the command line, or so I'm told. You can setup a Plex media server if you like.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.