Sweet Deal on an SSD Boot Device

hervon

Patron
Bought i few of them to 'revive'a few old friend's laptops. No issues so far.

glauco

Guru
I've been using one as my boot drive in Freenas since July last year. No problems so far.

Snow

Patron
Last edited:

zwilcoxen

Cadet

joeschmuck

Old Man
I have "a" (I'm sure it's not the exact same model since I purchased it years ago) Kingston SSD laying around somewhere and I've used it for ESXi, FreeNAS, Windoze, Ubuntu, and Sophos UTM. Never given me trouble. I think it's actually sitting in my Sophos Firewall right now. If I were to purchase a new drive, I'd grab the 240GB version fro $29.99 just because in my world I'd re-purpose the drive. Both drives are a fair price. And for that price I'm sure it's running off of an older/slower chipset which is perfectly acceptable.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Does anyone have any experience with these particular drives?
They're DRAMless TLC drives, which use a portion of their NAND as "simulated SLC" for a write cache. They fall over under sustained writes, and also have a lot of write amplification as a result.

This makes them good candidates for a boot drive for an OS or very light usage in a family computer, but they'll get swamped under heavier usage. Definitely not suitable for use as general vdev devices, and putting one as a log device would probably cause its lifespan to be measured in days.

Fine choice for a boot device though, and the capacity lets them be repurposed down the road in another machine if desired. Might be a passable cache device as well.