Supermicro X10SLL-F-O Front Panel Connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninjai

Explorer
Hi,

I just started putting my system together and I am confused when it comes to the front panel. I've built dozens on PCs but this is my first time with a Supermicro mobo. As you can see here: http://www.supermicro.com/QuickRefs/motherboard/C220/MNL-1428-QRG.pdf

Front Panel Control (JF1) lays out how to connect the front panel pins. I have a power switch + and -, and power LED and HDD LED that also both have a + and - connector. All these show 1 pin connections.

Am I just reading this wrong, and I should, for example, connect my power LED to pins 15 and 16, where positive would go to pin 16?

joeschmuck

Old Man
You should read the actual user manual that comes with the board, it is very clear on what pins to use for each signal.

Zip down to page 2-20 to start.

ninjai

Explorer
That's good to know, thanks. Mine never came with an "actual user manual", just a sheet with the PDF I linked in my OP. I'll look over it.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I hate it when things do not come with a reasonable user manual and they either give you a CD with it in PDF or a link to an online source. Neither one is good if you don't have a computer in the first place.

JDCynical

Contributor
FYI, the last two X9 boards I bought from SM didn't come with the manual, nor did the case I just received. All they put in the box was a 'quick start' poster sized sheet of paper.

Seems that SM is cutting costs/saving trees lately.

marbus90

Guru
Where is the Ctrl + F button in paperbacks?

And seriously, someone who builds his first computer without any kind of help isn't going to start on a Supermicro. There are plentiful devices with PDF download and viewing capabilities, even the crappiest smartphone can do that.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
FYI, the last two X9 boards I bought from SM didn't come with the manual, nor did the case I just received. All they put in the box was a 'quick start' poster sized sheet of paper.

Seems that SM is cutting costs/saving trees lately.

Yeah, there's been a movement towards online manuals... something not unique to SuperMicro.

joeschmuck

Old Man
even the crappiest smartphone can do that.
I have a flip phone, no network connectivity. Yes I'm old and the phone is old but we work.

Krowvin

Explorer
Most people who are ordering parts separately will have enough parts laying around to create a quick/temp computer to download instructions. I keep several USB drives with Windows flavors on them, and a few Ubuntu boot USB drives for "O-*$#@" moments.

I say most people, but everyone started somewhere. Like @jgreco was saying, probably won't start Super Micro unless you've got some experience under you belt. With experience, comes parts.

joeschmuck

Old Man

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I have a flip phone, no network connectivity. Yes I'm old and the phone is old but we work.
Well, you don't need the manual to get the system working, so the point is still valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.