Supermicro X11SSM-F Front Control Panel with Fractal Node 804

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feisao

Cadet
Good Afternoon,

Sorry if this has been addressed before, but I couldn't find the answer when I did a search.

First time building a Freenas server and I've never used a Supermicro motherboard before. I'm putting my components together. However, I'm having a difficult time figuring out where some of the front panel wiring goes in the JF1 Header Pins of the motherboard.

The Fractal Node 804 has 4 pins (Power SW, Power LED+, Power LED- and HDD LED). Power SW is probably going to Pin 1 and 2. HDD LED is probably going to Pin 14. However, not sure where Power LED+ and Power LED- goes. I'm thinking the Power LED+ goes to Pin 16. However, where does Power LED- goes?

https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/C236/MNL-1785.pdf

I would appreciate it if someone could answer this for me.

Thank you.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
However, where does Power LED- goes?
Pin 20 is ground, try it there.

These server boards are pinned out for server chassis, not cute little cube
cases. If you are really worried :confused: check the pins with a multi-meter
set for DC voltage. The LED+ pins should be 3.3volts to ground, once you
identify the 3.3volt pins it's sometimes a matter of trial and error to
get the lights working the way you want them.

i5xSwipe

Cadet
Good Afternoon,

Sorry if this has been addressed before, but I couldn't find the answer when I did a search.

First time building a Freenas server and I've never used a Supermicro motherboard before. I'm putting my components together. However, I'm having a difficult time figuring out where some of the front panel wiring goes in the JF1 Header Pins of the motherboard.

The Fractal Node 804 has 4 pins (Power SW, Power LED+, Power LED- and HDD LED). Power SW is probably going to Pin 1 and 2. HDD LED is probably going to Pin 14. However, not sure where Power LED+ and Power LED- goes. I'm thinking the Power LED+ goes to Pin 16. However, where does Power LED- goes?

https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/C236/MNL-1785.pdf

I would appreciate it if someone could answer this for me.

Thank you.
Did you figure out how best to connect the front panel?

I assume you connected the "PWR SW" to the two pins closest to the Intel PCH (TOP).

The Node 804 has a two pin HDD LED connector, while X11SSM has a single pin for HDD LED, so probably no good to be used there, is there another option?

Where did you place the Power LED+ and Power LED -?

Additionally, did you use the boards fan ports, or the control switch in back?

Last edited:

Stux

MVP
You connect the + to the ground or v3.3stby

Ie the pins above or below the pin which is identified

JWV

Cadet
This is how I solved it:

(1) PWR in pin 1 and 2 (with the white "PWR" text facing pin 3 and 4)
(2) PWR LED + in pin 15
(3) PWR LED - in pin 16
(4) HDD LED doesn't work (not with the + in pin 14 and the - in pin 13, nor with the + in pin 13 and the - in pin 14)

Status
Not open for further replies.