HDD LED/UID Switch pins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallybanger

Contributor
So the geniuses at Supermircro have this description for the HDD status LED header

HDD LED/UID Switch
The HDD LED/UID Switch connection is located on pins 13 and 14 of JF1. Attach a cable to
pin 14 to show hard drive activity status. Attach a cable to pin 13 to use UID switch. Refer
to the table below for pin definitions.

My HDD LED header plug is isn't split so can I just connect it to both pins or do I need to split it apart and find a ground to use in conjunction with pin 14? Does the HDD LED possibly get power/ground from the power switch or something?

My mobo is the Supermicro X11SSH-LN4F

Sorry, tried to attach a copy of the manual but it wouldn't work for some reason.

silverbull

Dabbler
This had me stumped for a while on my X11SSM as the natural assumption is you need to have the HDD led going from a HDD LED pin to ground. I found that the more I read the P3v3_STBY/ID_UID_SW pin 13 on JF1 can simply be considered the + side of the HDD LED cable from my case and the HDD LED pin 14 can be the - side of the cable. I've got it plugged in that way and working fine. I think I recall the UID part might need to be enabled by a jumper but don't quote me on that. Also FYI the front panel power LED is same with + on pin 15 and - on pin 16.

Wallybanger

Contributor
This had me stumped for a while on my X11SSM as the natural assumption is you need to have the HDD led going from a HDD LED pin to ground. I found that the more I read the P3v3_STBY/ID_UID_SW pin 13 on JF1 can simply be considered the + side of the HDD LED cable from my case and the HDD LED pin 14 can be the - side of the cable. I've got it plugged in that way and working fine. I think I recall the UID part might need to be enabled by a jumper but don't quote me on that. Also FYI the front panel power LED is same with + on pin 15 and - on pin 16.
Thanks for the reply. Kinda figured this may be the case. I haven't read the jumper section of the manual but I'll look at that now and I bet you're right about enabling the UID switch with a jumper. The power LED is pretty straight forward on my board so no concerns there.

Thanks @silverbull

Wallybanger

Contributor
There was nothing about a jumper in the manual so I emailed Supermicro. This was the response:

Hello,
Please use both pins, pin13 is positive and pin14 is negative to connect front panel HDD activity LED.
Regards,
TX.

Guess that sorts it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.