Supermicro X10sri-f build no power

Status
Not open for further replies.

beeph

Dabbler
mobo: Supermicro X10sri-f Server Motherboard - Intel C612 Chipset - Socket R3
case: SUPERMICRO 3U CSE-836TQ-R800B CHASSIS 16x TRAYS 2x 800W POWER SUPPLIES
cpu : Intel Xeon E5 2650L V3 QS 1.4Ghz 30MB L3 12 Core Max Turbo 2.0Ghz 75W Haswell-E
heatsink: SUPERMICRO SNK-P0048PS X9 2U Passive CPU Heatsink for LGA2011
ram: Crucial CT16G4RFD4213 16GB Single DDR4 2133 MT/s (PC4-2133) CL15 DR x4 ECC Registered DIMM 288-Pin Server Memory

IPMI:
Firmware Revision : 03.27
Firmware Build Time : 01/18/2016
BIOS Version : 2.0
BIOS Build Time : 12/17/2015
Redfish Version : 1.0.0

the green LED blinks for BNC, I connect via IPMI, click 'power on' nothing happens, says host is off. It works, but i get no info from it everything is N/A.

Tried removing ram, still not able to power, no post, no beeps, etc Fans dont even spin. Never had this happen, even with bad CPU.

Can anyone help diagnose? it's all bought on ebay, but from reputable sellers, etc. The CPU might be a bit dodgy, being from Hong Kong, but I never had a problem with hong kong sellers, and I travel to HK regularly.

I've only connected the speaker, the fan cables. Not even the front panel header. I figure I should still be able to turn it on via the IPMI. Waiting on a bunch of extensions due to form factor issues. But this has never been a problem before just to get a simple POST i usually just short the front panel header with a paperclip. Even this doesnt work though.

Last edited:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
On this particular motherboard, if the CPU is not correct/supported/working, then it will not even respond to a power-on. I would say the problem is almost certainly a generally busted motherboard, or, a busted/inappropriate CPU.

For example, with the X10SL* series of boards, if you have an older BIOS version that does not know about the refreshed CPU SKUs, it won't even respond to a power on. At all. no beeps, nothing.

beeph

Dabbler
Ah that's the worst when that happens. Not sure if it's a mobo problem or CPU problem. I'm going to have to RMA both probably. Thanks for the frank answer.

I did notice that 'FAN A' was empty hiding behind my jumble of SATA cables, so i tried unplugging a fan from FAN 4 and moving it to FAN A, hoping that was magical somehow. And I re-seated [even tho it was fine before] the CPU, but to no avail. That's a last resort for me due to the thermal paste re-application, etc.

I intend to try one more of these 2650's as they are cheap ATM on ebay. Unless anyone knows of any specific issues with this combination.

If this were something stupid like a short on the mobo or bad PSU, I'm assuming even the IPMI wouldnt work, which it does. Correct?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It could also be the PSU. The 5VSB rail is almost like a separate PSU inside the big one, so failure of one without the other is quite possible.

Or there could even be a forgotten power cable - there are lots of things to check before jumping into RMAs.

beeph

Dabbler
I found the problem.. there was a short in the mobo, the case came with a standoff that was 'close' to the right position, some weird interior standoff that was like an inch off the hole on the mobo.

Stupid mistake. Anyway now i plug in and get 'one long beep'.. progress.

and on second try the beep went away and it booted.. thanks for the help guys.

now i gotta remove the cheeto dust that got into the thermal paste when i re-seated the cpu for no reason :(

PS the screwdriver on the front panel pins still works but IPMI power-on is wayyyy cooler

Final report: All's well.. freenas 9.10 installed fine. Funny thing is I tried using the cpu with the same paste and it was running at 103C and sounded like a jet engine. When I re-applied, it went down to 45C. Cant believe that mattered that much.

16 bay 2u 2x800W supermicro case: 240$
X10 mobo 230$
Xeon 2650 CPU: 104$
used heatsink: 10$

585$ shipped for barebones supermicro 16 bay X10 xeon-2650 v3 system

was prepared to spend 800$.. great deals on ebay.

2x 6TB western digital reds: 450$ shipped
16 gigs DDR4-2133 crucial ECC ram: 90$ shipped

so 1130$ total.. a steal

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.