[solved]Set static IP not possible?

axrusar

Dabbler
Hi guys.
I setup TrueNAS Scale on a bare metal PC. TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.2.1
I look in the manual here: https://www.truenas.com/docs/scale/scaleuireference/network/

I tried setting up a static IP address via the 1-9 options you get on the screen when booting up the server. There is no place to set an IP either in "1. Configure network interfaces" or "2. Configure network settings)". the options only allow to set the gateway or DNS servers, but no IP whatsoever. Disabling the automatic DHCP option does not allow to input a static IP anywhere, although there is a message there talking about static IPs.

Then via the GUI.
I see the checkbox to disable DHCP. then all the way at the bottom there is an option to add "aliases" but not to change the actual IP to manual anywhere.
I tried adding an IP in that section, then click on "Test changes" and a 60 seconds countdown shows up. During this time i attempted to open another browser window with the new IP, but nothing happens. And if i click "save changes", i get a confirmation message "Network interface changes have been made permanent."

But actually... nothing has changed, the automatic DHCP option remains checked, there is no new "alias" IP anywhere, and the manual is not showing me how to set a static IP, at least in the Truenas Scale section.

How can i set such an ELEMENTARY option in TrueNAS?
The system is fresh, this is actually the very first option i am trying to set up.
This is how it looks after trying to change the options multiple times, exactly the same as the beginning:

W3msBYB.png

Thank you

axrusar

Dabbler
The screen you've provided should have DHCP unchecked.

The "add IP" should be at bottom of the edit interface screen: https://www.truenas.com/docs/scale/scaleuireference/network/

There is a need to make sure the default gateway is set correctly.
Thank you Morgan for the pointers..
Here is a clip showing my experience trying to change the IP.
Lost complete access to the server. I will have to wait until Monday now to travel to the office and reset the thing..

I edited the video to remove the parts where sensitive information shows up opening new tabs or clicking on the address bar, but the chronology is in place.
The UI failed the first time after waiting for the spinning wheel long time, taking me back to the original settings as i was mentioning on my initial post, then it took the changes in the second try, but i was never able to reach it on 10.0.0.200

Thanks

Attachments

• truenas-fail-basic-network.mp4
    6.4 MB · Views: 0

axrusar

Dabbler
Ok.
I figured everything out.

For whatever reason, if you set a static IP in TrueNAS, and you are in a remote location like i am (i am hooked to the network with a permanent router to router SSTP connection) you lose access to it like i shown in the video.
My local network has a different ip range, and although i can talk to any client on the remote network, (even the truenas server with DHCP on), setting the static IP makes the Truenas server give you the middle finger... Bug?? Who knows.. I dont care.
I reserved the IP i needed in the router for truenas and left the DHCP option ON. Now it grabs the IP i wanted, and i can open the GUI from the remote location.
Problem solved.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Ok.
I figured everything out.

For whatever reason, if you set a static IP in TrueNAS, and you are in a remote location like i am (i am hooked to the network with a permanent router to router SSTP connection) you lose access to it like i shown in the video.
My local network has a different ip range, and although i can talk to any client on the remote network, (even the truenas server with DHCP on), setting the static IP makes the Truenas server give you the middle finger... Bug?? Who knows.. I dont care.
I reserved the IP i needed in the router for truenas and left the DHCP option ON. Now it grabs the IP i wanted, and i can open the GUI from the remote location.
Problem solved.
My guess is that the default gateway was not set properly... it gets that from DHCP but with a static IP it needs it set manually.
It is a little awkward to change to an new IP address when you are using the old IP address as the admin interface.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Simply set the default gateway statically, first.

Smokie

Explorer
I was just about to add a post with the exact same issue. I just installed truenas scale on my machine and I have no option to manually set the ip address. I would have thought unchecking dhcp in the console and the gui would give me the option to manually set the IP but unfortunately it doesn’t.

Are we saying the only was is to reserve the IP or set it to a static one on my router?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
The UI might be a bit misleading.

You need to click on the interface you use and then add an alias - see screenshot.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-11-15 um 15.38.08.png

I'm having an identical problem and I don't think setting the IP from your DHCP server isn't the way. I watched the ping. The new ip pinged for a while and it will go back to the old ip. I wonder if there is a fix?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Applying network changes is a two step process to prevent unintended lock out. You need to click on "Test Settings" - that's when your new IP address starts to respond to ping - then within 60 seconds reconnect to the UI with the new IP address, then click on "Save Settings".
If you don't do the second part, your changes will be reverted.

Oh, and all of this is IMHO clearly visible in the UI and you can increase the 60 second timeout to any value you like while doing the first step.

danny36

Explorer
I have the same problem with fresh install of truenas scale but when I set static ip address and click save nothing is happening and the left panel still opened.

Attachments

• Immagine 2023-02-07 100420.png
    Immagine 2023-02-07 100420.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 1,510

sretalla