SOLVED Impossible to configure static IP without DHCP server?

AMiGAmann

Contributor
Hello,

I just installed TrueNAS SCALE in a network without a DHCP server. Therefore I cannot access the GUI with a browser.

It seems to be impossible to configure a static IP address in that case.

When choosing "1 - Configure network interface" I am able to disable the DHCP client but I am not able to configure a static IP address.

Am I missing something? This is so elemental that I am sure I am missing something...

Best regards,
AMiGAmann

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Are you using a keyboard and terminal screen?
Without IP, you need a direct connection.

NickF

Guru
The dialogue box is confusing, it threw me for a loop the first time too.

The configuration setting you are looking for is called "Alias" and is listed under the DHCP check box in the menu. You select that and a new window opens where you can give it an ip.

AMiGAmann

Contributor
Are you using a keyboard and terminal screen?
I am using IPMI/BMC to control the terminal.

The configuration setting you are looking for is called "Alias" and is listed under the DHCP check box in the menu.
Oh man, that is what I was looking for over and over again, thank you!! Why is it labeled "Alias"?!

This should be really added to the manual IMHO. I studied that page over and over again:

The paragraph "Configuring Network Settings" should really contain the sentence that a static IP can be configured with "Alias".

Thanks!

Best regards,
AMiGAmann

NickF

Guru
I am using IPMI/BMC to control the terminal.

Oh man, that is what I was looking for over and over again, thank you!! Why is it labeled "Alias"?!

This should be really added to the manual IMHO. I studied that page over and over again:

The paragraph "Configuring Network Settings" should really contain the sentence that a static IP can be configured with "Alias".

Thanks!

Best regards,
AMiGAmann
Technically in Linux, because you have the ability to set multiple IP addresses on a single interface (or VLANs on an interface, or bonds [also called LAGs or Port Channels] on an interface, or vlans on bonds....etc), it is considered a "Network Alias".

I also couldn't figure it out the first time, until I plugged it into a DHCP network, went to the network page in the UI, and noticed that they were labeled there as Aliases. I agree that it should be clarified in the documentation.

homer27081990

Patron
Hmmm... This sounds like a nice feature request, though. One should be able to slap a static IPv4 on the machine as the main IPv4, if only for best-practise reasons.

JJDuru

Dabbler
I think this is a very unfortunate choice of words to label an IP.
I just ran into the same problem moments ago.