Slow SMB - Lost - Need direction

vexter0944

Dabbler
ok - so I've been working on setting up Truenas Scale and working to migrate off my older QNAP to my new Truenas server.

Specs:
INTEL S1200SPLR Motherboard
LSI 9211-8i HBA in IT Mode
Intel I3-7100T CPU
16 GB of ECC RAM
4x12TB WDC WD120EDBZ-11B1HA0 shucked drives
AOC-STGN-I2S REV 2.10 Supermicro 10GbE Dual Port SFP+ Network Card Intel 82599

I am testing using a server I built for use with Emby:
Intel I5 10400 CPU
16 GB RAM
All SSD drives
Windows 10 Pro
AOC-STGN-I2S REV 2.10 Supermicro 10GbE Dual Port SFP+ Network Card Intel 82599

10gb network cards are all connected to a brocade icx-6450 24P switch all via SFP/Fiber

I can get about 250 MB/s to 300 MB/s while transferring from the emby server to the truenas server (large video files)
I can get about 400 MB/s to 500 MB/s while transferring from the truenas server to the emby server (large video files)

iperf and ntttcp show max throughput at about 9.xx gb over the network.

I've noticed that if I copy a file up to the nas and copy it right back down - it looks like it hits the ARC and I can see around 10gb of rate - but once it leaves the cache (I assume) - it drops pretty quick.

I'm not sure if the bottleneck is hardware or software (CIFS) - but I'm pretty sure it's not the 10gbe network based on the iperf/ntttcp results and the fact that cached data comes back pretty quickly.

Could it be the lsi-9211 (as in should I move to a 3008 series HBA)
Could it be tuning of some sort I need to do?
More ram?

Please help! lol! I'm happy to run tests/send screenshots - whatever I need to do to troubleshoot this, as I'm puzzled.

TIA for any help offered!

Davvo

MVP
What is your pool layout?
Please read the following resource.

vexter0944

Dabbler
see attached - I'll go read that link as well. Thanks!

1672871263170.png

1672871242095.png

Davvo

MVP
I can get about 250 MB/s to 300 MB/s while transferring from the emby server to the truenas server (large video files)
I can get about 400 MB/s to 500 MB/s while transferring from the truenas server to the emby server (large video files)
As you can understand from the resource I asked you to read, 250-300 MB/s for writes and 400-500 MB/s for reads are standard speeds for a pair of 2-way mirrors. I see nothing strange here, simply your spinning rust can't go faster.

Could it be tuning of some sort I need to do?
I would suggest you to set the dataset (ugh, horrible phrasing) propriety called "record size" at 1M in order to optimize head readings/sector allocation (or something along those lines, it's a bit late). Do note that this applies to new writes only.

I've noticed that if I copy a file up to the nas and copy it right back down - it looks like it hits the ARC and I can see around 10gb of rate - but once it leaves the cache (I assume) - it drops pretty quick.
This is likely correct. Please look at here for a similar example.

More ram?
More ARC (RAM) will help you sustain those speeds for longer proven that the data you want is into it.
If you want to investigate, you can use the arc_summary command.

could it be the lsi-9211 (as in should I move to a 3008 series HBA)
@jgreco will be able to tell you more, but it shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
@jgreco will be able to tell you more, but it shouldn't be an issue.

I agree that it shouldn't be an issue. The basic issue is that the LSI SAS2008 was really designed for hard drives and used older/slower MIPS CPU cores, and is limited to an aggregate speed less than the 48Gbps max theoretically offered by its eight 6Gbps SAS lanes. It is a PCIe 2.0 x8 design, and with PCIe 2.0 lanes being limited to 5Gbps, that means that you have a 40Gbps cap. In practice it seems like the CPU is a little draggy as well, and I have seen credible measurements as low as maybe 30Gbps aggregate against a bank of known-fast SATA SSD's. It is definitely recommended to avoid overloading the SAS2008 (or accepting reduced performance). The 2308 improved on this with overclocked MIPS cores (hot!) and PCIe 3.0, which comes much closer to full theoretical performance. Even the 3008 has a slight "data handling tax" from the onboard CPU, but you should get performance very close to SATA AHCI out of a 3008 talking directly to modern SSD's.

Bearing in mind that 4x conventional HDD will not even be generating 3Gbps of traffic each, you should be fine running an LSI 2008. If you are going to run this virtualized under ESXi, or move to using SSD's, or be using an external shelf with an SAS3 SAS expander, then there would be reasons to upgrade to the 3008. Otherwise I wouldn't recommend it.

You can find out what your pool performance is like by running solnet-array-test available in the Resources section. It is designed to help quantify the actual performance you are getting.

vexter0944

Dabbler
@Davvo and @jgreco - thanks for much for the quick responses and input, they are very welcome and appreciated!!!

A couple of quick notes/thoughts.

1. I'm migrating from my QNAP and will be a 8x12TB setup when done - so it sounds like I should be ok hardware wise (at least on the LSI 9211 front at this time)
2. I'm thinking I need to get to 32 or 64GB of RAM - is more always better for truenas or is 32gb good to go for my usage (mostly tv/movie files being sent to Emby)?
3. Can anyone give me any idea(s) on why a friend of mine, who has a QNAP (one of the newer ones - but don't know the model this minute) and how come he is using the same drives I am but is more performant and can generally hit 700 MB/s or more while transferring? I'm just puzzled - I've read in the forums it might be more around the file systems (ext 3/4 vs ZFS) - but with so little hardware/memory? I know the OS is very specific to the hardware and if that's the answer, then so be it - but I am quite curious.

Thanks again for the input - I'll look forward to your thoughts and I think that will set me on a good path moving forward once I hear back one 1 and 2 if you have the time.

Appreciate the help!

Davvo

MVP
1. I'm migrating from my QNAP and will be a 8x12TB setup when done - so it sounds like I should be ok hardware wise (at least on the LSI 9211 front at this time)
We are gonna need talk about your pool layout.

2. I'm thinking I need to get to 32 or 64GB of RAM - is more always better for truenas or is 32gb good to go for my usage (mostly tv/movie files being sent to Emby)?
Depends what you want. If you aren't running emby on the TrueNAS system you can go with just 16GB. It rerally depends on the performance you seek... if you wanna use that 10Gbps network you want as much as you can fit.

3. Can anyone give me any idea(s) on why a friend of mine, who has a QNAP (one of the newer ones - but don't know the model this minute) and how come he is using the same drives I am but is more performant and can generally hit 700 MB/s or more while transferring? I'm just puzzled - I've read in the forums it might be more around the file systems (ext 3/4 vs ZFS) - but with so little hardware/memory? I know the OS is very specific to the hardware and if that's the answer, then so be it - but I am quite curious.
If I am not wrong QNAP doesn't use ZFS: life is easier when you don't have cheksums and hashes.

vexter0944

Dabbler
@Davvo - thanks for those points!

So on the pool layout - right now I have 4 new 12TB drives installed in the Truenas box with 4 12TB in the old QNAP NAS - when I'm done migrating - I'm going to move the 4 QNAP 12TB drives into the new Truenas server. So what should my pool layout look like from your point of view?

Davvo

MVP
@Davvo - thanks for those points!
To expand on the last one, quoting the Introduction to ZFS:
To this end, ZFS is completely Copy-on-Write (CoW) and checksums all data and metadata.
Checksums are kept separate from their blocks, so ZFS can verify that data is valid and that is it the correct data and not something else that your evil disks or storage controller sent your way.

So on the pool layout - right now I have 4 new 12TB drives installed in the Truenas box with 4 12TB in the old QNAP NAS - when I'm done migrating - I'm going to move the 4 QNAP 12TB drives into the new Truenas server. So what should my pool layout look like from your point of view?
Well, what do you want? Storage efficency? Saturate as much as possible your 10Gbps network?
Also, yeah with 8x12TB drives you want at least 32GB of RAM.

vexter0944

Dabbler
To expand on the last one, quoting the Introduction to ZFS:

Well, what do you want? Storage efficency? Saturate as much as possible your 10Gbps network?
Also, yeah with 8x12TB drives you want at least 32GB of RAM.
32 gb it is min and will try for 64gb if I can swing it. Thanks for that note!

I'm looking for performance overall with at least 'some' kind of fault tolerance. I have another QNAP I'll be backing up data to that I need to make sure I don't lost (pics, documents etc) but I won't be backing up tv/movies as I can always replace (although it would take a while...so I'd rather not lose them if possible...). But yes - I'd like to leverage as much of my newly installed 10gbe network as possible. I hope that helps - if not - ask more questions - I'll answer asap.

Davvo

MVP
I'm looking for performance overall with at least 'some' kind of fault tolerance. I have another QNAP I'll be backing up data to that I need to make sure I don't lost (pics, documents etc) but I won't be backing up tv/movies as I can always replace (although it would take a while...so I'd rather not lose them if possible...). But yes - I'd like to leverage as much of my newly installed 10gbe network as possible. I hope that helps - if not - ask more questions - I'll answer asap.
I think your best shot is 4x2-way mirrors, basically what you were already doing. The alternatives would be a single 8 disks vide vdev in RAIDZ2, or 2x4-wide vdevs in RAIDZ1, and both are ugly (and not worth) in their own way.
With the mirrors you get a good level of resilience and great read performance, and are able to continue the expansion without having to destroy your current pool.

32 gb it is min and will try for 64gb if I can swing it. Thanks for that note!
There is a way you could kinda work around increasing your RAM: you could add two or three SSDs in a mirror to the pool as special vdevs.
Quoting the fusion pool documentation:
A special VDEV can store metadata such as file locations and allocation tables. The allocations in the special class are dedicated to specific block types. By default, this includes all metadata, the indirect blocks of user data, and any deduplication tables. The class can also be provisioned to accept small file blocks. This is a great use case for high performance but smaller sized solid-state storage. Using a special vdev drastically speeds up random I/O and cuts the average spinning-disk I/Os needed to find and access a file by up to half.
It could end up cheaper than buying more RAM, but it does have its heavy disadvantages: if you lose the vdev (all the SSDs) the pool is gone and being a vdev it's not removable, so no step back is allowed once the choice is made.
Honestly this would probably benefit more the single vdev RAIDZ2 option, but could work as a sort of cache (it's not a cache!!) for the metadata.

The more RAM option is likely better, especially if you manage to reach 64GB since you would be able to use a real cache (L2ARC) for metadata.
Also, the community's experience with the special vdevs is (at least apparently) way less than what we have with the L2ARC.

Last edited:

vexter0944

Dabbler
I think your best shot is 4x2-way mirrors, basically what you were already doing. The alternatives would be a single 8 disks vide vdev in RAIDZ2, or 2x4-wide vdevs in RAIDZ1, and both are ugly (and not worth) in their own way.
With the mirrors you get a good level of resilience and great read performance, and are able to continue the expansion without having to destroy your current pool.

There is a way you could kinda work around increasing your RAM: you could add two or three SSDs in a mirror to the pool as special vdevs.
Quoting the fusion pool documentation:

It could end up cheaper than buying more RAM, but it does have its heavy disadvantages: if you lose the vdev (all the SSDs) the pool is gone and being a vdev it's not removable, so no step back is allowed once the choice is made.
Honestly this would probably benefit more the single vdev RAIDZ2 option, but could work as a sort of cache (it's not a cache!!) for the metadata.

The more RAM option is likely better, especially if you manage to reach 64GB since you would be able to use a real cache (L2ARC) for metadata.
Also, the community's experience with the special vdevs is (at least apparently) way less than what we have with the L2ARC.
@Davvo - that was plan was to continue adding drives in pairs as vdevs and adding to the pool - so I guess it would be 2xmirror 8 wide if I'm correct. If not - please correct me :)

I ended up ordering another 16gb of ram to get me to 32 for now - if that doesn't work I'll save up and order 64gb (2x32) and be done with it since my motherboard maxes out at 64gb anyway.

If there's more to consider etc - let me know. Otherwise, I'll go with this plan for now and report back in once the ram arrives and go from there.

Thanks a ton for stepping in and giving me your advice - very much appreciated!

Davvo

MVP
@Davvo - that was plan was to continue adding drives in pairs as vdevs and adding to the pool - so I guess it would be 2xmirror 8 wide if I'm correct. If not - please correct me :)
It's 4 (vdevs) x (each composed of) 2-way (2 disks in) mirror, or 2-way mirror x4 if you prefer. The final pool I mean (you have already half of it).

I ended up ordering another 16gb of ram to get me to 32 for now - if that doesn't work I'll save up and order 64gb (2x32) and be done with it since my motherboard maxes out at 64gb anyway.
Cheers!

If there's more to consider etc - let me know. Otherwise, I'll go with this plan for now and report back in once the ram arrives and go from there.
Nah, with such a layout you should pump nice reads... according to my 3am math 8Gbps, but being limited by 2000 read IOPS will likely bring down that number quite a bit.
Just do note that the usable space (80% of total storage since we want to leave 20% of the pool free to not see our performance crawl) will be 37TB.

Thanks a ton for stepping in and giving me your advice - very much appreciated!
It's my pleasure!

Last edited:

vexter0944

Dabbler
@Davvo - I like it!! Will report back in when ram gets here and see if that helps and go from there. We'll be in touch soon! Take care!

vexter0944

Dabbler
I wanted to report back in - adding ram made a big difference. I'm hitting 500MB up and down to the truenas server consistently now and have seen over 900MB on some transfers (seems file dependant..like the one I saw 900+ on was a 1gb exe installer - but media files for emby are more like 500) - at some point I'll most likely put in 64gb and max the server. But this did help quite a bit. Thanks again for the help @Davvo and @jgreco !

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I wanted to report back in - adding ram made a big difference. I'm hitting 500MB up and down to the truenas server consistently now and have seen over 900MB on some transfers (seems file dependant..like the one I saw 900+ on was a 1gb exe installer - but media files for emby are more like 500) - at some point I'll most likely put in 64gb and max the server. But this did help quite a bit. Thanks again for the help @Davvo and @jgreco !

Thanks for the report back. There is nothing that convinces you that ZFS is a resource pig like actually seeing such results. At least it is no longer thousands of dollars worth of RAM to get that kind of improvement. Enjoy!

vexter0944

Dabbler
@jgreco - you're right about that on all accounts. It's about $200 for 64gb of Ecc UDIMM 2400 - so very doable in the near future. I'm loading up data for the cutover as we speak - so should be cut over in the next few days. Thanks again for all the help and input!

vexter0944

Dabbler
@jgreco @Davvo - wanted to pop back in on this for a minute and see if you guys have any other suggestions/thoughts. I'm thinking some kind of possible performance tuning, but not sure.

I dropped the 64gb in yesterday - little to no change in terms of speed. About 400MBs-500MBs reading from Truenas to Emby server - I can write from Emby server to Truenas at about the same rate. However, I would have thought the read performance would have been higher than the write performance?

I did add a L2Arc cache drive to the media pool this morning - no change really either.

Are there possibly any other performance tuning tips/guides I should be looking at or is this kind of speed (both read and write) pretty much expected with my setup?

Including some metrics jic.

Thanks as always!

1674842079672.png

1674842231231.png
1674842262270.png

1674842307701.png

Davvo

MVP
How big is this L2ARC drive?
Cache grows with time (and reads).

Can you post the output of arc_summary?

vexter0944