Setting up uPnP with minidlna on the freenas nightlies post-09/25/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gcooper

Not sure if anyone has done this yet and I tried but met with failure. I'm sure it can be done but you could do like the rest of us and build using the trunk. Read the thread from the start to finish and if you have any questions about the instructions feel free to ask. If you haven't built a FreeNAS program then you have the option to build it yourself (very easy to do) or ask someone for a custom build with MULTIMEDIA=1 inserted at the proper location. Go to 'How-To Guides', 'Installation' and you will find a two part guide that will enable you to build FreeNAS. Once there you need to download the FreeNAS program (I have a nice script, use option -s), alter one file (in this thread) and then build FreeNAS (my script option -b). Once you have installed this new version of FreeNAS you will have to configure it IAW the instructions in this thread. There is no simple GUI at this time but I suspect minidlna will be part of the core 8.1 release but that is many months away.

It's not doable with the 8.0.2 sources unless you hand edit freenas-common to pull in all of the bits. Sorry..

joeschmuck

Old Man
It's not doable with the 8.0.2 sources unless you hand edit freenas-common to pull in all of the bits. Sorry..
Now that is too much work for me, well almost. Mine runs just fine using trunk sources.

Any chance the nightly builds are setup with MULTIMEDIA=1 ? And BTW, glad to see the nightly builds have started back.

G

gcooper

Now that is too much work for me, well almost. Mine runs just fine using trunk sources.

Any chance the nightly builds are setup with MULTIMEDIA=1 ? And BTW, glad to see the nightly builds have started back.

Yeah, I sort of kicked it back to life this morning.

I'll produce another branch for that (-DEBUG + MULTIMEDIA), and put it under the unofficial area. I'll need to hack the image to be smaller because it's building fatty images today.

parks853

Dabbler
Is there any chance that we will see a 8.0.X with uPnP installed and working anytime soon (before 8.1)? I've been successful in building from source with MULTIMEDIA set and making the needed changes to get minidlna working (thanks to this thread). However, minidlna still has the issue where it will not update the database. It has not been worth it, to me, to flash over 8.0.2 release with a nightly that has a somewhat working version of minidlna installed.

Maybe I'll get more time to try again to get the database to update. Would it be worthwhile to add the package to freeBSD to see if the minidlna port even updates its database on freeBSD?

G

gcooper

Is there any chance that we will see a 8.0.X with uPnP installed and working anytime soon (before 8.1)? I've been successful in building from source with MULTIMEDIA set and making the needed changes to get minidlna working (thanks to this thread). However, minidlna still has the issue where it will not update the database. It has not been worth it, to me, to flash over 8.0.2 release with a nightly that has a somewhat working version of minidlna installed.

Maybe I'll get more time to try again to get the database to update. Would it be worthwhile to add the package to freeBSD to see if the minidlna port even updates its database on freeBSD?

You'd be wasting your time. Again, inotify is a Linux-only kernel feature that does not exist on FreeBSD, and that's what things are currently coded up as. Restarting the service should be enough, but you might be able to HUP the service (if it supports it) and it will reload the database *shrugs*.

parks853

Dabbler
I was hoping whoever ported it to freeBSD from linux patched/fixed/changed it to work with freeBSD but didn't see any details of it in the port information.

joeschmuck

Old Man

I'll produce another branch for that (-DEBUG + MULTIMEDIA), and put it under the unofficial area. I'll need to hack the image to be smaller because it's building fatty images today.

Fatty, LOL, yea I'll agree with that, but they still work. I'm sure I speak for the other people out here that we appreciate your work. You give good feedback and I haven't seen you talk down to anyone, and you are on the forums helping out vice just coding the product. It makes a difference.

Thank You!
-Mark

parks853

Dabbler
I agree - nice to have suggestions and questions answered from a developer.

Thanks for your help.

freemwp

Cadet
Not sure if anyone has done this yet and I tried but met with failure. I'm sure it can be done but you could do like the rest of us and build using the trunk..

Well, I'm running minidlna from a jail on 8.0.1, and that works perfectly, accept for the refresh thing.

keflox

Cadet
Hello

Here are the commands to enter to setup minidlna

mount -wu /
mkdir /conf/base/var/db/minidlna
rehash
pkg_add -r minidlna
cp /usr/local/etc/minidlna.conf /conf/base/etc/local/
vi /conf/base/etc/local//minidlna.conf
==> update the directories containing your data
cp /etc/local/rc.d/minidlna /conf/base/etc/local/rc.d/
vi /conf/base/etc/local/rc.d/minidlna
==> change command_args=""
echo 'minidlna_enable="YES"' >> /conf/base/etc/rc.conf
mount -ro /
reboot

I'll post soon the configuration working with Sony TV.

Regards
Lionel.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Hello

Here are the commands to enter to setup minidlna

mount -wu /
mkdir /conf/base/var/db/minidlna
rehash
pkg_add -r minidlna
cp /usr/local/etc/minidlna.conf /conf/base/etc/local/
vi /conf/base/etc/local//minidlna.conf
==> update the directories containing your data
cp /etc/local/rc.d/minidlna /conf/base/etc/local/rc.d/
vi /conf/base/etc/local/rc.d/minidlna
==> change command_args=""
echo 'minidlna_enable="YES"' >> /conf/base/etc/rc.conf
mount -ro /
reboot

I'll post soon the configuration working with Sony TV.

Regards
Lionel.

Becaue of the pkg_add, your minidlna installation will disappear when you reboot. You need to create in accordance with instruction of the first page to retain the installation.

Hooch

Cadet
Becaue of the pkg_add, your minidlna installation will disappear when you reboot. You need to create in accordance with instruction of the first page to retain the installation.

hi, i am new to this forum, but followed the threads concerning minidlna setup since weeks.

does the setup post from keflox solve the problem with database not being updated without reboot?

greets
Hooch

joeschmuck

Old Man
hi, i am new to this forum, but followed the threads concerning minidlna setup since weeks.

does the setup post from keflox solve the problem with database not being updated without reboot?

greets
Hooch
Nope, sure doesn't solve it at all. If you read what gcooper has to say in this thread you will note that inotify isn't supported in FreeBSD which is the root cause for the updating not occurring.

-Mark

gpapaiko

Dabbler
Well here are my results while installing to 8.0.1-Release (not a nightly build)

1) mount -uw /
2) pkg_add -r minidlna
3) rehash
4) Edit the minidlna.conf as indicated in step 3 (in first posting)
5) Do step 5 above as well.
6) mount -ro /
7) minidlna

And your minidlna service is running and mine streamed video just fine.

My problem is when I reboot, all the packages I installed are now gone. I assume it is because they were not incorporated into the actual files on the drive vice maybe files in a RAM drive? Got me at this point. But like I said, it runs great, just don't reboot.

EDIT: In the trunk files I can see minidlna is in the nanobsd common file but where do I define MULTIMEDIA=1 ?

Hi has this issue been resolve - when rebooting?
I am getting the same problem.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I have deleted my previous entry the last two posters are referring to to try and eliminate confusion. Minidlna cannot be installed as a pkg_add and be expected to survive a reboot, it must be built into the FreeNAS code as indicated in this thread.

tmf

Cadet
Here is what I did on my regular freebsd box to enable minidlna rescans.
I've changed command_args line in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/minidlna adding -R to the parameters.
Since this change, minidlna rescans its database after
Code:
service minidlna restart
Of course it rescans its database on system start also.

hth

-tmf

joeschmuck

Old Man
Here is what I did on my regular freebsd box to enable minidlna rescans.
I've changed command_args line in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/minidlna adding -R to the parameters.
Since this change, minidlna rescans its database after
Code:
service minidlna restart
Of course it rescans its database on system start also.

hth

-tmf

Nice idea adding the -R to the command_args. As for the rescanning on system restart without the -R, as I can tell that depends on where the database is stored. I store mine in the hard drive as to free up RAM and to keep from having to rescan each time I reboot, but if you leave it in RAM, then of course it rescans because the database no longer exists. But to be clear (and to me you are), this is for a system reboot, not simply stopping and restarting minidlna.

ProtoSD

MVP
Code:
service minidlna restart

It looks to me like it works without rebooting using the above command.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Provided the "-R" is in the command_args already, I agree.

L

lrusak

Where are these builds located? I'd like to try a build with the MULTIMEDIA option already added. I used minidlna using the pkg_add method, but as described by other users it gets destroyed upon restart.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.