Setting up daapd with Firefly on the freenas nightlies post-09/25/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gcooper

NOTE: Here are complete semi-official directions for how to set things up with daapd and firefly (I'm writing this because I want people to test the firefly backend to make sure that things work properly with it).

1. Login as root to FreeNAS box.
2. Execute the following commands:

Code:
mount -wu /
# There's a bug in either FreeNAS or the port that prevents this from being done automatically.
pw user add daapd
# Work around a bug with prefixing in the port.
sed -i '' -e 's,^required_dirs.*,required_dirs="/var/db/firefly",g' /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mt-daapd
mkdir /var/db/firefly

3. Copy the following to /usr/local/etc/mt-daapd.conf (replace the parameters below with something more useful for your install.. see /usr/local/etc/mt-daapd.conf.sample for hints on what you can change):

Code:
[general]
web_root = /usr/local/share/mt-daapd/admin-root
port = 3689
admin_pw = mt-daapd
db_type = sqlite3
db_parms = /var/db/firefly
mp3_dir = /mnt/tank/
servername = FreeNAS %v on %h
# port bug.. doesn't start with user = daapd for some odd reason.
runas = root
# Set this if you want to have password access to your share.
#password = password
extensions = .mp3,.m4a,.m4p,.ogg,.flac
ssc_codectypes = ogg,flac,alac
ssc_prog = /usr/local/bin/mt-daapd-ssc.sh
logfile = /var/log/mt-daapd.log
debuglevel = 5  
rescan_interval = 300
always_scan = 0
scan_type = 0
compress = 1

[plugins]
plugin_dir = /usr/local/lib/mt-daapd/plugins

[scanning]
process_playlists = 1
process_itunes = 1
process_m3u = 1

4. Test out your settings

Code:
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/mt-daapd onestart

If all goes well, the following command should print out something like the following:

Code:
[root@freenas] ~# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mt-daapd onestatus
firefly is running as pid 7852.

If all doesn't go well, check /var/log/firefly.log for more details.

5. Making the change permanent

Code:
echo 'firefly_enable="YES"' >> /conf/base/etc/rc.conf

6. Cleanup

Code:
# DO NOT FORGET THIS!
mount -ru /

Notes:

• I've gotten things to play properly with iTunes 10.4.1 on Snow Leopard, but some versions of iTunes have issues with Firefly according to posts I've seen elsewhere.
  • This only allows you to play audio files right now, from what I've seen (tried playing some purchased video content, but it didn't work). I'm looking at importing forked-daapd, but in the meantime this works and is relatively stable.

jerrybme

Dabbler
I just built r8187 from svn with software features set to:SW_FEATURES="DEBUG REPORTING MULTIMEDIA" and found mt-daap was missing in the resulting image. Has firefly been pulled?
Thanks,
Jerry

G

gcooper

I don't remember why, but I pulled it (I may have been trying to slim down the image and committed that by accident). If you svn up it'll be there again.

jerrybme

Dabbler
I don't remember why, but I pulled it (I may have been trying to slim down the image and committed that by accident). If you svn up it'll be there again.
Thanks got this morning and it compiled fine.
Jerry

MrWGT

Cadet
Hi...

i've installed 8.0.3 multimedia and followed the above steps and firefly starts up ok. But after a reboot /usr/local/etc/mt-daapd.conf is resetted. How can i prevent the loose of changes?

Kind regards

Gerd

MrWGT

Cadet
I made some changes to your steps and now it's working for me after a restart. The changes are below.

1) Added user daapd over gui instead of "pw user add daapd"
2) Modified /conf/base/etc/local/mt-daapd.conf instead of /usr/local/etc/mt-daapd.conf. Only modified db_parms and mp3_dir in file mt-daapd.conf.
3) Wrote back changes with "mount -ru /" because "mount -ro /" will not change rw mount to r only.

Question: Is there a document/thread where i can read about which file is copied/mapped to on startup?

Gerd

awjs

Dabbler
nothing for this works what am I doing wrong ?????? log in as dlna user and get permission denied, please be more clear on these instructions and if I am too dump to do this please tell me that also because something is wrong as this doent work sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.