Setting up the multimedia (BT, DLNA/uPnP, iTunes) bits in 8.0.3-RELEASE_MULTIMEDIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Please wait on downloading 8.2.0-BETA1. We're working out some kinks with -BETA1 and going to release in the next day or so.
Guess I'll delete that download and wait a few more days (saved!)

punkl

Cadet
I wouldn't assume that firefly works with video. It's outdated, but it works extremely well for audio (so far) with the latest version. forked-daapd is definitely the wave of the future though, so we should cut over to that eventually.

1. It needs to be ported to FreeBSD (shouldn't be hard, but still needs to be done).
2. It needs to have a plugin created for it in a post-8.2.0 world.
3. If the configuration differs between firefly and forked-daapd, that will need to be reworked eventually as well.

Well, I need to find something that will allow me to stream video to iTunes, preferably something that is also compatible with Home Sharing since ATV2 doesn't support any other means of sharing libraries. Back to the drawing board I suppose.

Edit: Looks like forked-daapd supports streaming mp4a, mp4v, wma, wmal, wmav and so on.

Edit2: I found this, which I thought was an interesting hack to stream movies to ATV2 direct from a source without iTunes involved.

PDM

Dabbler
HI toxxygen :)
I am not sure that you need to perform the second copy (bolded):
-Copy important settings files
Code:
cp /usr/local/etc/transmission/home/settings.json /mnt/pool/downloads/transmission/.
cp /usr/local/etc/rc.d/transmission /conf/base/etc/rc.d
as then you would have multiple transmission-daemons attempting to start.

Especially as a transmission file already exists within
Code:
/conf/base/etc/local/rc.d

/var/log/messages should show if at startup the system is trying to start 2 instances.

Otherwise, the instructions seem spot on. :)

Edit :
Whilst transmission seems to be functioning without any issues. I did notice teh following in my log files :
Code:
Mar  6 01:40:08 freenas transmission-daemon[1228]: UDP Failed to set receive buffer: No buffer space available (tr-udp.c:56)
Mar  6 01:40:08 freenas transmission-daemon[1228]: UDP Failed to set send buffer: No buffer space available (tr-udp.c:62)
Mar  6 01:40:08 freenas transmission-daemon[1228]: UDP Failed to set receive buffer: requested 4194304, got 42080 (tr-udp.c:75)
Mar  6 01:40:08 freenas transmission-daemon[1228]: UDP Failed to set send buffer: requested 1048576, got 9216 (tr-udp.c:86)

any ideas?

Edit 2:
http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?2275-transmission-settings-json-is-overwritten highlights the error message I am seeing & a possible fix.
or disable "uTP" via transmission web-gui

I did the latter as I only have 2GB of RAM.

fka

Dabbler
Please wait on downloading 8.2.0-BETA1. We're working out some kinks with -BETA1 and going to release in the next day or so.

Thanks for the tip, I'm just messing around with a test VM for now and i've seen few issues ..

D

Pixeltje

Dabbler
Hi!

I'm new to FreeNAS and so far i really like the possibilities and the speed of it! However, I'm trying to make FireFly work on 8.04 Multimedia release, but for some reason it won't work. I've followed the guide that's in post 64 somewhere in this thread but when i want to start the firefly service it gives three errors, When i type : "service mt-daapd start"
It says:
Starting firefly
1) (date/time) freenas mt-daapd[3125]: Missing configuration entry general/mp3_dir. Please review the sample config
2) (date/time) freenas mt-daapd[3125]: Config entry general/compress is deprecated. please review the sample config
3) (date/time) freenas mt-daapd[3125]: Could not validate config file. ignoring
4?) Error reaing condi file (/mnt/Volume1/Home/iTunes/mt-daapd.conf)
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/mt-daapd: WARNING: Failed to start firefly.

I've walked through the directions in post 64 about three times and am pretty sure i've entered all the changes right. I'e really got no idea where to go to fix these errors. Could anyone help me?

Thanks!

joeschmuck

Old Man
@ Pixeltje,
Looks like you might have something wrong in steps 9 or 10 (sure you didn't alter the wrong mt-daapd.conf file?). Let's see if we can make some progress. Let's also use the actual path names for your system if you don't mind. If there is something you consider sensitive, just PM me.

1) Log in as SU
2) Type 'cd /mnt/Volume1/Home/iTunes' (without the single quotes of course)
3) Type 'umount -wu /'
4) Type 'ee mt-daapd.conf'
5) You should see your configuration file, not a blank screen.
5) If you do see your configuration file, make it look similar to the below listed file, if it's blank we still need to copy it, just close the editor.
6) Go back to the original instructions and start at step 9 again but skip the umount part. It will write over your mt-daapd.conf file with a fresh copy and we will alter this new one.
7) Now when we are at step 10 of the main instruction we need to change the following data to look like this (make sure you enter the path to your mp3 music, I don't have that info here and remove the hash mark from the beginning of it):
Code:
[general]
web_root = /usr/local/share/mt-daapd/admin-root
port = 3689
admin_pw = rootpassword
db_type = sqlite3
# GC: change this
db_parms = /mnt/Volume1/Home/iTunes/var/db/firefly
mp3_dir = /mnt/Volume1/PATH TO MP3 MUSIC
# GC: might want to change this.
servername = FreeNAS %v on %h
runas = iTunes
# Set this if you want to have password access to your share.
#password = password
extensions = .mp3,.m4a,.m4p,.ogg,.flac
ssc_codectypes = ogg,flac,alac
ssc_prog = /usr/local/bin/mt-daapd-ssc.sh
logfile = /var/log/mt-daapd.log
debuglevel = 5
rescan_interval = 300
always_scan = 0
scan_type = 0
compress = 1

[plugins]
plugin_dir = /usr/local/lib/mt-daapd/plugins

[scanning]
process_playlists = 1
process_itunes = 1

Finish by closing this file and then type 'service mt-daapd start'. It should run. Next type 'umount -ro /' and you are all done (I hope).

-Mark

Pixeltje

Dabbler
@ Pixeltje,
Looks like you might have something wrong in steps 9 or 10 (sure you didn't alter the wrong mt-daapd.conf file?). Let's see if we can make some progress. Let's also use the actual path names for your system if you don't mind. If there is something you consider sensitive, just PM me.

1) Log in as SU
2) Type 'cd /mnt/Volume1/Home/iTunes' (without the single quotes of course)
3) Type 'umount -wu /'
4) Type 'ee mt-daapd.conf'
5) You should see your configuration file, not a blank screen.
5) If you do see your configuration file, make it look similar to the below listed file, if it's blank we still need to copy it, just close the editor.
6) Go back to the original instructions and start at step 9 again but skip the umount part. It will write over your mt-daapd.conf file with a fresh copy and we will alter this new one.
7) Now when we are at step 10 of the main instruction we need to change the following data to look like this (make sure you enter the path to your mp3 music, I don't have that info here and remove the hash mark from the beginning of it):
Code:
[general]
web_root = /usr/local/share/mt-daapd/admin-root
port = 3689
admin_pw = rootpassword
db_type = sqlite3
db_parms = /mnt/Volume1/Home/iTunes/var/db/firefly
mp3_dir = /mnt/Volume1/PATH TO MP3 MUSIC
# GC: might want to change this.
servername = FreeNAS %v on %h
runas = iTunes
# Set this if you want to have password access to your share.
#password = password
extensions = .mp3,.m4a,.m4p,.ogg,.flac
ssc_codectypes = ogg,flac,alac
ssc_prog = /usr/local/bin/mt-daapd-ssc.sh
logfile = /var/log/mt-daapd.log
debuglevel = 5
rescan_interval = 300
always_scan = 0
scan_type = 0
compress = 1

[plugins]
plugin_dir = /usr/local/lib/mt-daapd/plugins

[scanning]
process_playlists = 1
process_itunes = 1

Finish by closing this file and then type 'service mt-daapd start'. It should run. Next type 'umount -ro /' and you are all done (I hope).

-Mark

Thanks for the fast reply :) i'm about to alter the file as you mentioned, but have another question. The Daap client i use for iPhone can't cope with passwords for some reason (Simple DAAP client). Can i just remove the 'password' password from the config file so firefly donesn't require a password?

Alos, i don't you using the actual pathnames, the rig i've set up is just a testrig untill all the components for the real thing arrive (sometime this week i hope), and there's nothing to hide.

Also, in step three (3) Type 'umount -wu /') i assume you mean "mount -wu /" ? unmount -wu / seems to be an "illegal option -- w"

Edit:
I've followed the steps as you described but firefly still won't work, same errors as i mentioned in my initial post. I'm gonna try to overwrite the .conf file with the original one and try again, but somehow i think that won't work. The first error Freenas shows has to do with a missing entry about "general/mp3_dir", The only line that looks like that is the one in the conf. file i've just edited and that should lead tot /mnt/Volume1/Home/music. I've created that folder and there's some music in it. Apparently Freenas is looking for another configuration entry?

Edit2:
Nevermind edit1.. Feel really stupid now. You mentioned to remove the hash mark.. and i forgot to. firefly service is now up and running. Doesn't seem to require any password or whatsoever.

Thanks!

punkl

Cadet
Edit:
I've followed the steps as you described but firefly still won't work, same errors as i mentioned in my initial post. I'm gonna try to overwrite the .conf file with the original one and try again, but somehow i think that won't work. The first error Freenas shows has to do with a missing entry about "general/mp3_dir", The only line that looks like that is the one in the conf. file i've just edited and that should lead tot /mnt/Volume1/Home/music. I've created that folder and there's some music in it. Apparently Freenas is looking for another configuration entry?

Edit2:
Nevermind edit1.. Feel really stupid now. You mentioned to remove the hash mark.. and i forgot to. firefly service is now up and running. Doesn't seem to require any password or whatsoever.

Thanks!

I did the exact same thing, so you aren't alone!

The password you specify in the .conf file is to access the web interface for Firefly. It's at http://freenas_IP:3689 if you left the default port alone.

Pixeltje

Dabbler
I did the exact same thing, so you aren't alone!

The password you specify in the .conf file is to access the web interface for Firefly. It's at http://freenas_IP:3689 if you left the default port alone.

I didn't change the port, used the same IP adress and port number for my old NAS so the bookmarks will still work. I'm not the only one that uses it, but i am the only one who knows how it works around here ;)

joeschmuck

Old Man
I updated the instructions in posting #64 to explicitly state removing the hash causing confusion. This is why what is clear to me isn't always clear to others so I do like to take into account any problems if I can and make the instructions almost Sailor Proof.

SilverJS

Patron
To access transmission with transmission-remote-gui:

-On Your WINDOWS PC via Explorer (NOT via PuTTy) or any OS you might be using, find settings.json on /mnt/pool/downloads/transmission and edit with notepad.

-Find "rpc-whitelist-enabled": true, and change it to "rpc-whitelist-enabled": false

-Reboot

Hey Oxygen,

Thanks for the fantastic write-up. Everything worked perfect for me up to the point above. Some permissions issue of some sort, because I couldn't save the changes made. I rebooted - no dice. Then, I just chown a+rw the settings.json file, and it worked. So, EVERYTHING is done perfect, according to your tutorial.

Except that - I can't connect via the Tranmission-Remote-GUI! It always says "Connection Refused". I have searched quite a bit on this and could use a bit of help, please.

Thanks!

EDIT: I suspect that port 9091 is not working, as I cannot access the Transmission web interface by typing https://address_of_FREENAS_Server:9091, either via regular http or https. How do I open this port??

SilverJS

Patron
OK. So, I found out my rpc-enabled was set to "false" in my settings.json. Changed that, and now I can connect. Only problem now is, I can download for like 30 seconds to 1 minute, and then, some permissions issue sets in where the download is stopped due to drives not being found or some such, and shortly thereafter, the connection to the box is refused. Can't even connect via the regular web method either.

Ideas?

Pixeltje

Dabbler
Hi,

Due to hardware failure I was forced to reinstall FreeNAS, and therefore also to reconfigure the Firefly service. I've done this a couple of times now and am sure that all the right values are changed or copied to the right location. When I tell freeNAS to "service mt-daapd start", it gives the following two errors;

Code:
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/mt-daapd: WARNING: -c is not readable.
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/mt-daapd: WARNING: failed precmd routine for firefly

Because last time I asked a question here, the problem turned out to be some stupid typo by me, i've followed all the steps again, and then again, but it keeps giving me the same two 'Warnings'. I can understand that "-c" is not readable but don't know how to make it readable.

Summary:
Music folder exists in /mnt/tank/Data/Muziek (and the # was deleted)
iTunes user has home folder /mnt/tank/Home/iTunes
mt-daapd.conf has been copied to iTunes' home folder
The command_args etc are set to "-c /mnt/tank/Home/iTunes/mt-daapd.conf"

Can anyone please tell me what's going wrong here? Thanks!

joeschmuck

Old Man
@Pixeltje
What version of FreeNAS are you running, include the build number please. Better question, is it the same version that you were previously running and got working?

I've been out of it for a while and still don't use FireFly but I'll try to help. If you see something wrong with my instructions please let me know so I can update them for everyone else.

Pixeltje

Dabbler
Joe, I'm using 8.04 Multimedia release (x64). As far as I know it's the same build as the one I've got working earlier, but I did download the ISO from the freenas site because I deleted the other one by accident. I don't have a build number now, but it's the most recent version of FreeNAS 8.04 multimedia.

The weird thing here: The file that's presumably "not readable" when I try to start the service can be opened and edited by any user. (tried Root, iTunes and my own account, Sjaak). So I've confirmed the file is in the right place and is readable.

joeschmuck

Old Man
The build number is in the GUI, open it up and under the System Information tab, second line down, in the parens. Mine is 10351. You used the iso, correct? I have just downloaded the current iso version and will try it out on a VM but that may not be until tonight at the earliest as I have to jet off to work today soon.

Pixeltje

Dabbler
It's build: FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE_MULTIMEDIA-x64 (10351)

I've gone searching and found that the rights for the particular file (mt-daapd in /usr/local/etc/rc.d) are as follows:

Code:
[Sjaak@freenas] /mnt/tank/Home/Sjaak# cd /usr/local/etc/rc.d
[Sjaak@freenas] /usr/local/etc/rc.d# ls -l
total 45
drwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel  1024 Feb 29 03:23 ./
drwxr-xr-x  21 root  wheel  1536 Apr 12 18:54 ../
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  1059 Feb 29 02:37 ataidle*
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel   873 Feb 29 02:39 avahi-daemon*
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  1119 Feb 29 02:39 avahi-dnsconfd*
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel   522 Feb 29 02:26 collectd*
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel   612 Feb 29 02:26 collectdmon*
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel   832 Feb 29 02:38 dbus*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  2458 Feb 29 00:44 django*
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  2036 Feb 29 01:45 fusefs*
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel   787 Feb 29 01:16 inadyn*
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel   462 Feb 29 01:22 istgt*
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  3242 Feb 29 01:55 lighttpd*
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel   602 Feb 29 03:23 minidlna*
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel   434 Apr 11 21:07 mt-daapd*
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  1991 Feb 29 02:41 netatalk*
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel   473 Feb 29 01:37 nmbd*
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel   958 Feb 29 01:58 nut*
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel   947 Feb 29 01:58 nut_upslog*
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel   843 Feb 29 01:58 nut_upsmon*
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel   710 Feb 29 01:21 proftpd*
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel   659 Feb 29 02:25 rrdcached*
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel   618 Feb 29 01:27 rsyncd*

(there are more files in that folder but to shorten the message i've deleted some)

Does this offer you any help in figuring out what i've messed up? Anyway; thanks again for your effort and time :)

joeschmuck

Old Man
You skipped step 13. Let me know if that works.

Pixeltje

Dabbler
You skipped step 13. Let me know if that works.

I didn't forgot step 13, however, I did (again) made a very stupid mistake. I wrote "-c/mnt/etc/etc/etc" where "-c /mnt/etc/etc/etc" should be. Note the space between the "-c and /mnt..

I've overlooked this at least a dozen times, been checking all the config files a hundred times but never saw the missing space.

Service is now running and should be finish adding the first playlist within the hour. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.