Script: Hybrid CPU & HD Fan Zone Controller

Stux

MVP
So, I've been working on something.

Update 2024-03-15:
I've ported the controller to SCALE and created a github repository: https://github.com/mrstux/hybrid_fan_control

Code:
# This script is designed to control both the CPU and HD fans in a Supermicro X10 based system according to both
# the CPU and HD temperatures in order to minimize noise while providing sufficient cooling to deal with scrubs
# and CPU torture tests.

# It relies on you having two fan zones.

Its a script that controls both the CPU and HD zones with a Dual Zone Supermicro IPMI board.

It was inspired by Kevin's script and research

The CPU and HD zones can be fully independant, or they can be shared. If they are shared, then when the CPU needs cooling, the HD fans will spin up with the CPU fans, otherwise the HD fans will only spin up when the HDs need cooling.

The complexity is that it will adjust the CPU fans on a per second basis, and the HD fans (when not overridden) every 3 minutes. It will verify a change in fan speed after each setting, as well as handles crashed high and crashed low BMC scenarios, including waiting for the BMC readings to stabilize and come good, including handling the scenario when they don't.

The script is designed to fail high. Ie if it should go off the rails, which I don't think it does, then it fails high.

So why did I do this? Because I've built a very powerful FreeNAS box which will be used for VMs and transcoding etc, but is in an office environment, and will otherwise be idle for most of its life. I wanted to minimize fan noise as much as possible, without affecting peak performance or component life-time, and I am pretty happy with the results :)

Code:
# To use this correctly, you should connect all your PWM HD fans, by splitters if necessary to the FANA header.
# CPU, case and exhaust fans should then be connected to the numbered (ie CPU based) headers.  This script will then control the
# HD fans in response to the HD temp, and the other fans in response to CPU temperature. When CPU temperature is high the HD fans.
# will be used to provide additional cooling, if you specify cpu/hd shared cooling.

also

Code:
# NOTE: It is highly likely the "get_hd_temp" function will not work as-is with your HDs. Until a better solution is provided
# you will need to modify this function to properly acquire the temperature. Setting debug=2 will help.

Here is an example of its logged output, while I spawned/killed mprime a few times:
Code:
cat ./fan_control.log
2016-09-19 01:29:11: CPU Temp: 33 <= 35, CPU Fan going low.
2016-09-19 01:29:12: Maximum HD Temperature: 30
2016-09-19 01:29:12: Drives are cool enough, going to 30%
2016-09-19 01:30:25: CPU Temp: 52 >= 50, CPU Fan going high.
2016-09-19 01:30:25: Overiding HD fan zone to 100%
2016-09-19 01:30:34: CPU Temp: 40 >= 40, CPU Fan going med.
2016-09-19 01:30:34: Restoring HD fan zone to 30%
2016-09-19 01:30:40: CPU Temp: 50 >= 50, CPU Fan going high.
2016-09-19 01:30:40: Overiding HD fan zone to 100%
2016-09-19 01:30:42: CPU Temp: 38 dropped below 40, CPU Fan going med.
2016-09-19 01:30:42: Restoring HD fan zone to 30%
2016-09-19 01:30:46: CPU Temp: 54 >= 50, CPU Fan going high.
2016-09-19 01:30:46: Overiding HD fan zone to 100%
2016-09-19 01:30:51: CPU Temp: 37 dropped below 40, CPU Fan going med.
2016-09-19 01:30:51: Restoring HD fan zone to 30%
2016-09-19 01:30:55: CPU Temp: 52 >= 50, CPU Fan going high.
2016-09-19 01:30:55: Overiding HD fan zone to 100%
2016-09-19 01:31:06: CPU Temp: 42 >= 40, CPU Fan going med.
2016-09-19 01:31:06: Restoring HD fan zone to 30%
2016-09-19 01:31:30: CPU Temp: 35 <= 35, CPU Fan going low.
2016-09-19 01:32:13: Maximum HD Temperature: 30
2016-09-19 01:35:15: Maximum HD Temperature: 31
2016-09-19 01:38:16: Maximum HD Temperature: 31
2016-09-19 01:41:17: Maximum HD Temperature: 32
2016-09-19 01:44:18: Maximum HD Temperature: 32

Most everything is configurable, and the vebosity ($debug) scales well.

When testing, I just launch it in with screen

screen ./hybrid_fan_controller.pl

But, when using it for real, as I am now, I made a simple "start_fan_controller" script

Code:
#!/bin/bash
echo "Starting Hybrid Fan Controller..."
/root/hybrid_fan_controller.pl &>> /root/fan_control.log &

which I just launched as a post-init command in freeNAS gui.

Screen Shot 2016-09-19 at 8.02.50 PM.png

Maybe this is not the best way to launch this script, but it seems to work for me.

And here is the script:

Code:
#!/usr/local/bin/perl

# This script is designed to control both the CPU and HD fans in a Supermicro X10 based system according to both
# the CPU and HD temperatures in order to minimize noise while providing sufficient cooling to deal with scrubs
# and CPU torture tests. It may work in X9 based system, but this has not been tested.

# It relies on you having two fan zones.

# To use this correctly, you should connect all your PWM HD fans, by splitters if necessary to the FANA header.
# CPU, case and exhaust fans should then be connected to the numbered (ie CPU based) headers.  This script will then control the
# HD fans in response to the HD temp, and the other fans in response to CPU temperature. When CPU temperature is high the HD fans.
# will be used to provide additional cooling, if you specify cpu/hd shared cooling.

# If the fans should be high, and they are stuck low, or vice-versa, the BMC will be rebooted, thus it is critical to set the
# cpu/hd_max_fan_speed variables correctly.

# NOTE: It is highly likely the "get_hd_temp" function will not work as-is with your HDs. Until a better solution is provided
# you will need to modify this function to properly acquire the temperature. Setting debug=2 will help.

# Tested with a SuperMicro X10-SRi-F, Xeon E5-1650v4, Noctua 120, 90 and 80mm fans in a Norco RPC-4224 4U chassis, with Seagate NAS drives.

# This script can be downloaded from : https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/script-hybrid-cpu-hd-fan-zone-controller.46159/

# The script was originally based on a script by Kevin Horton that can be found at:
# https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/script-to-control-fan-speed-in-response-to-hard-drive-temperatures.41294/page-3#post-282683

# More information on CPU/Peripheral Zone can be found in this post:
# https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/thermal-and-accoustical-design-validation.28364/

# stux

# VERSION HISTORY
#####################
# 2016-09-19 Initial Version
# 2016-09-19 Added cpu_hd_override_temp, to prevent HD fans cycling when CPU fans are sufficient for cooling CPU
# 2016-09-26 hd_list is now refreshed before checking HD temps so that we start/stop monitoring devices that
#            have been hot inserted/removed.
#            "Drives are warm, going to 75%" log message was missing an unless clause causing it to print
#            every time
# 2016-10-07 Replaced get_cpu_temp() function with get_cpu_temp_sysctl() which queries the kernel, instead of
#            IPMI. This is faster, more accurate and more compatible, hopefully allowing this to work on X9
#            systems. The original function is still present and is now called get_cpu_temp_ipmi().
#            Because this is a much faster method of reading the temps,  and because its actually the max core
#            temp, I found that the previous cpu_hd_override_temp of 60 was too sensitive and caused the override
#            too often. I've bumped it up to 62, which on my system seems good. This means that if a core gets to
#            62C the HD fans will kick in, and this will generally bring temps back down to around 60C... depending
#            on the actual load. Your results will vary, and for best results you should tune controller with
#            mprime testing at various thread levels. Updated the cpu threasholds to 35/45/55 because of the improved
#            responsiveness of the get_cpu_temp function
###############################################################################################
## CONFIGURATION
################

## DEBUG LEVEL
## 0 means no debugging. 1,2,3,4 provide more verbosity
## You should run this script in at least level 1 to verify its working correctly on your system
$debug = 1;

## CPU THRESHOLD TEMPS
## A modern CPU can heat up from 35C to 60C in a second or two. The fan duty cycle is set based on this
$high_cpu_temp = 55;        # will go HIGH when we hit
$med_cpu_temp = 45;         # will go MEDIUM when we hit, or drop below again
$low_cpu_temp = 35;        # will go LOW when we fall below 35 again

## HD THRESHOLD TEMPS
## HD change temperature slowly.
## This is the temperature that we regard as being uncomfortable. The higher this is the
## more silent your system.
## Note, it is possible for your HDs to go above this... but if your cooling is good, they shouldn't.
$hd_max_allowed_temp = 38;    # celsius. you will hit 100% duty cycle when you HDs hit this temp.

## CPU TEMP TO OVERRIDE HD FANS
## when the CPU climbs above this temperature, the HD fans will be overridden
## this prevents the HD fans from spinning up when the CPU fans are capable of providing
## sufficient cooling.
$cpu_hd_override_temp = 62;

## CPU/HD SHARED COOLING
## If your HD fans contribute to the cooling of your CPU you should set this value.
## It will mean when you CPU heats up your HD fans will be turned up to help cool the
## case/cpu. This would only not apply if your HDs and fans are in a separate thermal compartment.
$hd_fans_cool_cpu = 1;        # 1 if the hd fans should spin up to cool the cpu, 0 otherwise

#######################
## FAN CONFIGURATION
####################

## FAN SPEEDS
## You need to determine the actual max fan speeds that are achieved by the fans
## Connected to the cpu_fan_header and the hd_fan_header.
## These values are used to verify high/low fan speeds and trigger a BMC reset if necessary.
$cpu_max_fan_speed     = 1700;
$hd_max_fan_speed     = 1400;

## CPU FAN DUTY LEVELS
## These levels are used to control the CPU fans
$fan_duty_high    = 100;        # percentage on, ie 100% is full speed.
$fan_duty_med     = 60;
$fan_duty_low     = 30;

## HD FAN DUTY LEVELS
## These levels are used to control the HD fans
$hd_fan_duty_high     = 100;    # percentage on, ie 100% is full speed.
$hd_fan_duty_med_high     = 80;
$hd_fan_duty_med_low    = 50;
$hd_fan_duty_low     = 30;    # some 120mm fans stall below 30.

## FAN ZONES
# Your CPU/case fans should probably be connected to the main fan sockets, which are in fan zone zero
# Your HD fans should be connected to FANA which is in Zone 1
# You could switch the CPU/HD fans around, as long as you change the zones and fan header configurations.
#
# 0 = FAN1..5
# 1 = FANA
$cpu_fan_zone = 0;
$hd_fan_zone = 1;

## FAN HEADERS
## these are the fan headers which are used to verify the fan zone is high. FAN1+ are all in Zone 0, FANA is Zone 1.
## cpu_fan_header should be in the cpu_fan_zone
## hd_fan_header should be in the hd_fan_zone
$cpu_fan_header = "FAN1";  
$hd_fan_header = "FANA";

################
## MISC
#######

## IPMITOOL PATH
## The script needs to know where ipmitool is
$ipmitool = "/usr/local/bin/ipmitool";

## HD POLLING INTERVAL
## The controller will only poll the harddrives periodically. Since hard drives change temperature slowly
## this is a good thing. 180 seconds is a good value.
$hd_polling_interval = 180;    # seconds

## FAN SPEED CHANGE DELAY TIME
## It takes the fans a few seconds to change speeds, we allow a grace before verifying. If we fail the verify
## we'll reset the BMC
$fan_speed_change_delay = 10; # seconds

## BMC REBOOT TIME
## It takes the BMC a number of seconds to reset and start providing sensible output. We'll only
## Reset the BMC if its still providing rubbish after this time.
$bmc_reboot_grace_time = 120; # seconds

## BMC RETRIES BEFORE REBOOTING
## We verify high/low of fans, and if they're not where they should be we reboot the BMC after so many failures
$bmc_fail_threshold    = 1;     # will retry n times before rebooting

# edit nothing below this line
########################################################################################################################

# GLOBALS
@hd_list = ();

# massage fan speeds
$cpu_max_fan_speed *= 0.8;
$hd_max_fan_speed *= 0.8;

#fan/bmc verification globals/timers
$last_fan_level_change_time = 0;        # the time when we changed a fan level last
$fan_unreadable_time = 0;            # the time when a fan read failure started, 0 if there is none.
$bmc_fail_count = 0;                # how many times the fans failed verification in the last period.

#this is the last cpu temp that was read      
$last_cpu_temp = 0;

use POSIX qw(strftime);

# start the controller
main();

################################################ MAIN

sub main
{
    # need to go to Full mode so we have unfettered control of Fans
    set_fan_mode("full");

my $cpu_fan_level = "";
    my $old_cpu_fan_level = "";
    my $override_hd_fan_level = 0;
    my $last_hd_check_time = 0;
    my $hd_fan_duty = 0;

while()
    {
        $old_cpu_fan_level = $cpu_fan_level;
        $cpu_fan_level = control_cpu_fan( $old_cpu_fan_level );

if( $old_cpu_fan_level ne $cpu_fan_level )
        {
            $last_fan_level_change_time = time;
        }

if( $cpu_fan_level eq "high" )
        {

if( $hd_fans_cool_cpu && !$override_hd_fan_level && ($last_cpu_temp >= $cpu_hd_override_temp || $last_cpu_temp == 0) )
            {
                #override hd fan zone level, once we override we won't backoff until the cpu drops to below "high"
                $override_hd_fan_level = 1;
                dprint( 0, "CPU Temp: $last_cpu_temp >= $cpu_hd_override_temp, Overiding HD fan zone to $hd_fan_duty_high%, \n" );
                set_fan_zone_duty_cycle( $hd_fan_zone, $hd_fan_duty_high );

}
        }
        elsif( $override_hd_fan_level )
        {
            #restore hd fan zone level;
            $override_hd_fan_level = 0;
            dprint( 0, "Restoring HD fan zone to $hd_fan_duty%\n" );
            set_fan_zone_duty_cycle( $hd_fan_zone, $hd_fan_duty );  

}

# periodically determine hd fan zone level

my $check_time = time;
        if( $check_time - $last_hd_check_time > $hd_polling_interval )
        {
            $last_hd_check_time = $check_time;

# we refresh the hd_list from camcontrol devlist
            # everytime because if you're adding/removing HDs we want
            # starting checking their temps too!
            @hd_list = get_hd_list();

my $hd_temp = get_hd_temp();
            $hd_fan_duty = calculate_hd_fan_duty_cycle( $hd_temp, $hd_fan_duty );

if( !$override_hd_fan_level )
            {

$last_fan_level_change_time = time; # this resets every time, but it shouldn't matter since hd_polling_interval is large.
            }
        }

# verify_fan_speed_levels function is fairly complicated      
        verify_fan_speed_levels(  $cpu_fan_level, $override_hd_fan_level ? $hd_fan_duty_high : $hd_fan_duty );

# CPU temps can go from cool to hot in 2 seconds! so we only ever sleep for 1 second.
        sleep 1;

} # inf loop
}

sub get_hd_list
{
    my $disk_list = `camcontrol devlist | sed 's:.*(::;s:).*::;s:,pass[0-9]*::;s:pass[0-9]*,::' | egrep '^[a]*da[0-9]+\$' | tr '\012' ' '`;
    dprint(3,"$disk_list\n");

my @vals = split(" ", $disk_list);

foreach my $item (@vals)
    {
        dprint(2,"$item\n");
    }

return @vals;
}

sub get_hd_temp
{
    my $max_temp = 0;

foreach my $item (@hd_list)
    {
        my $disk_dev = "/dev/$item";
        my $command = "/usr/local/sbin/smartctl -A $disk_dev | grep Temperature_Celsius";

dprint( 3, "$command\n" );

my $output = `$command`;

dprint( 2, "$output");

my @vals = split(" ", $output);

# grab 10th item from the output, which is the hard drive temperature (on Seagate NAS HDs)
          my $temp = "$vals[9]";
        chomp $temp;

if( $temp )
        {
            dprint( 1, "$disk_dev: $temp\n");

$max_temp = $temp if $temp > $max_temp;
        }
    }

dprint(0, "Maximum HD Temperature: $max_temp\n");

return $max_temp;
}

###########################
# verify_fan_speed_levels()
# this function verifies a fan zone is high, when it should be high, and low when it should be low.
# you pass in the cpu_fan_level and the hd_fan_duty (note: level vs duty!). If the hd fan duty is
# overridden, then you need to pass in the overridden duty.
#
# The tricks are that
#    1) we need to wait at least 10 seconds after changing a fan level before checking if its
#        made the change.
#    2) if we do read the change, and its not right, we should try again, after redoing the change
#    3) when the BMC has been reset, we can read rubbish... we shouldn't just re-set the BMC in this case
#       as it should become good, but it also might not become good... in which case we should reset it!
#    4) if we do reset the BMC, we need to reverify
#    5) we don't want to re-verify continuously, so if its all good we wait an extra 60 seconds, unless
#       the fans change in the meantime.
#
# to accomplish that, we use a few globals:
#
#    last_fan_level_change_time    this is the time when the last fan change was made, and should be updated,
#                         whenever a fan change is made. We also updated it each time through the
#                    verify function so that we will not re-verify until our delay has expired
#
#    fan_unreadable_time        this is the time that the fan read failures started, or 0 if there are none
#                    once the failure has exceeded the bmc_reboot_grace_time threshold, we will reboot.
#
#    bmc_fail_count            this is how many times in a row the fan speeds have not been what they should've
#                    been. If we exceed bmc_fail_threshold, then we reboot the bmc.
#
# Configuration globals used:
#
#    bmc_fail_threshold        how many times the bmc can have the wrong fan speeds in a row before we reboot.
#    fan_speed_change_delay        how many seconds we wait until after fan change before verifying, and thence how
#                    often we verify.
#    hd/cpu_max_fan_speed        depending on if we want high or low, if the fan speed is over or under, we'll regard
#                    it as a failure.
#
sub verify_fan_speed_levels
{
    my( $cpu_fan_level, $hd_fan_duty ) = @_;
    dprint( 4, "verify_fan_speed_levels: cpu_fan_level: $cpu_fan_level, hd_fan_duty: $hd_fan_duty\n");

my $extra_delay_before_next_check = 0;

my $temp_time = time - $last_fan_level_change_time;
    dprint( 4, "Time since last verify : $temp_time, last change: $last_fan_level_change_time, delay: $fan_speed_change_delay\n");
    if( $temp_time > $fan_speed_change_delay )
    {
        # we've waited for the speed change to take effect.

my $cpu_fan_speed = get_fan_speed("CPU");
        if( $cpu_fan_speed < 0 )
        {
            dprint(1,"CPU Fan speed unavailable\n" );
            $fan_unreadable_time = time if $fan_unreadable_time == 0;
        }

my $hd_fan_speed = get_fan_speed("HD");
        if( $hd_fan_speed < 0 )
        {
            dprint(1,"HD Fan speed unavailable\n" );
            $fan_unreadable_time = time if $fan_unreadable_time == 0;
        }

if( $hd_fan_speed < 0 || $cpu_fan_speed < 0 )
        {
            # one of the fans couldn't be reliably read

my $temp_time = time - $fan_unreadable_time;
            if( $temp_time > $bmc_reboot_grace_time )
            {
                #we've waited, and we still can't read fan speed.
                dprint(0, "Fan speeds are unreadable after $bmc_reboot_grace_time seconds, rebooting BMC\n");
                reset_bmc();
                $fan_unreadable_time = 0;
            }
            else
            {
                dprint(2, "Fan speeds are unreadable after $temp_time seconds, will try again\n");  
            }      
        }
        else
        {
            # we have no been able to read the fan speeds

my $cpu_fan_is_wrong = 0;
            my $hd_fan_is_wrong = 0;  

#verify cpu fans
            if( $cpu_fan_level eq "high" && $cpu_fan_speed < $cpu_max_fan_speed )
            {
                dprint(0, "CPU fan speed should be high, but $cpu_fan_speed < $cpu_max_fan_speed.\n");
                $cpu_fan_is_wrong=1;
            }
            elsif( $cpu_fan_level eq "low" && $cpu_fan_speed > $cpu_max_fan_speed )
            {
                dprint(0, "CPU fan speed should be low, but $cpu_fan_speed > $cpu_max_fan_speed.\n");
                $cpu_fan_is_wrong=1;
            }

#verify hd fans
            if( $hd_fan_duty >= $hd_fan_duty_high && $hd_fan_speed < $hd_max_fan_speed )
            {
                dprint(0, "HD fan speed should be high, but $hd_fan_speed < $hd_max_fan_speed.\n");
                $hd_fan_is_wrong=1;
            }
            elsif( $hd_fan_duty <= $hd_fan_duty_low && $hd_fan_speed > $hd_max_fan_speed )
            {
                dprint(0, "HD fan speed should be low, but $hd_fan_speed > $hd_max_fan_speed.\n");
                $hd_fan_is_wrong=1;
            }

#verify both fans are good
            if( $cpu_fan_is_wrong || $hd_fan_is_wrong )
            {
                $bmc_fail_count++;

dprint( 3, "bmc_fail_count:  $bmc_fail_count, bmc_fail_threshold: $bmc_fail_threshold\n");
                if( $bmc_fail_count <= $bmc_fail_threshold )
                {
                    #we'll try setting the fan speeds, and giving it another attempt
                    dprint(1, "Fan speeds are not where they should be, will try again.\n");

set_fan_mode("full");

set_fan_zone_level( $cpu_fan_zone, $cpu_fan_level );
                }
                else
                {
                    #time to reset the bmc
                    dprint(1, "Fan speeds are still not where they should be after $bmc_fail_count attempts, will reboot BMC.\n");
                    set_fan_mode("full");
                    reset_bmc();
                    $bmc_fail_count = 0;
                }
            }
            else
            {
                #everything is good. We'll sit back for another minute.

dprint( 2, "Verified fan levels, CPU: $cpu_fan_speed, HD: $hd_fan_speed. All good.\n" );
                $bmc_fail_count = 0; # we succeeded

$extra_delay_before_next_check = 60 - $fan_speed_change_delay; # lets give it a minute since it was good.
            }  

#reset our unreadable timer, since we read the fan speeds.
            $fan_unreadable_time = 0;

}

#reset our timer, so that we'll wait before checking again.
        $last_fan_level_change_time = time + $extra_delay_before_next_check; #another delay before checking please.
    }

return;
}

################################################# SUBS

# need to pass in last $cpu_fan
sub control_cpu_fan
{
    my ($old_cpu_fan_level) = @_;

#    my $cpu_temp = get_cpu_temp_ipmi();    # no longer used, because sysctl is better, and more compatible.
    my $cpu_temp = get_cpu_temp_sysctl();

my $cpu_fan_level = decide_cpu_fan_level( $cpu_temp, $old_cpu_fan_level );

if( $old_cpu_fan_level ne $cpu_fan_level )
    {
        dprint( 1, "CPU Fan changing... ($cpu_fan_level)\n");
        set_fan_zone_level( $cpu_fan_zone, $cpu_fan_level );  
    }

return $cpu_fan_level;
}

sub calculate_hd_fan_duty_cycle
{
    my ($hd_temp, $old_hd_duty) = @_;
    my $hd_duty;

if ($hd_temp >= $hd_max_allowed_temp  )
    {
        $hd_duty = $hd_fan_duty_high;
        dprint(0, "Drives are too hot, going to $hd_fan_duty_high%\n") unless $old_hd_duty == $hd_duty;
    }
    elsif ($hd_temp >= $hd_max_allowed_temp - 1 )
    {
        $hd_duty = $hd_fan_duty_med_high;
            dprint(0, "Drives are warm, going to $hd_fan_duty_med_high%\n") unless $old_hd_duty == $hd_duty;

}
    elsif ($hd_temp >= $hd_max_allowed_temp - 2 )
    {
        $hd_duty = $hd_fan_duty_med_low;
        dprint(0, "Drives are warming, going to $hd_fan_duty_med_low%\n") unless $old_hd_duty == $hd_duty;
    }
    elsif( $hd_temp > 0 )
    {
        $hd_duty = $hd_fan_duty_low;
          dprint(0, "Drives are cool enough, going to $hd_fan_duty_low%\n") unless $old_hd_duty == $hd_duty;
    }
    else
    {
        $hd_duty = 100;
        dprint( 0, "Drive temperature ($hd_temp) invalid. going to 100%\n");
    }

return $hd_duty;
}

sub build_date_string
{
    my $datestring = strftime "%F %H:%M:%S", localtime;

return $datestring;
}

sub dprint
{
    my ( $level,$output) = @_;

#    print( "dprintf: debug = $debug, level = $level, output = \"$output\"\n" );

if( $debug > $level )
    {
        my $datestring = build_date_string();
        print "$datestring: $output";
    }

return;
}

sub dprint_list
{
    my ( $level,$name,@output) = @_;

if( $debug > $level )
    {
        dprint($level,"$name:\n");

foreach my $item (@output)
        {
            dprint( $level, " $item\n");
        }
    }

return;
}

sub bail_with_fans_full
{
    dprint( 0, "Setting fans full before bailing!\n");
    set_fan_mode("full");
    die @_;
}

sub get_fan_mode_code
{
    my ( $fan_mode )  = @_;
    my $m;

if(     $fan_mode eq    'standard' )    { $m = 0; }
    elsif(    $fan_mode eq    'full' )     { $m = 1; }
    elsif(    $fan_mode eq    'optimal' )     { $m = 2; }
    elsif(    $fan_mode eq    'heavyio' )    { $m = 4; }
    else                     { die "illegal fan mode: $fan_mode\n" }

dprint( 3, "fanmode: $fan_mode = $m\n");

return $m;
}

sub set_fan_mode
{
    my ($fan_mode) = @_;
    my $mode = get_fan_mode_code( $fan_mode );

dprint( 1, "Setting fan mode to $mode ($fan_mode)\n");
    `$ipmitool raw 0x30 0x45 0x01 $mode`;

sleep 5;    #need to give the BMC some breathing room

return;
}  

# returns the maximum core temperature from the kernel to determine CPU temperature.
# in my testing I found that the max core temperature was pretty much the same as the IPMI 'CPU Temp'
# value, but its much quicker to read, and doesn't require X10 IPMI. And works when the IPMI is rebooting too.
sub get_cpu_temp_sysctl
{
    # significantly more efficient to filter to dev.cpu than to just grep the whole lot!
    my $core_temps = `sysctl -a dev.cpu | egrep -E \"dev.cpu\.[0-9]+\.temperature\" | awk '{print \$2}' | sed 's/.\$//'`;
    chomp($core_temps);

dprint(3,"core_temps:\n$core_temps\n");

my @core_temps_list = split(" ", $core_temps);

dprint_list( 4, "core_temps_list", @core_temps_list );

my $max_core_temp = 0;

foreach my $core_temp (@core_temps_list)
    {
        if( $core_temp )
        {
            dprint( 2, "core_temp = $core_temp C\n");

$max_core_temp = $core_temp if $core_temp > $max_core_temp;
        }
    }

dprint(1, "CPU Temp: $max_core_temp\n");

$last_cpu_temp = $max_core_temp; #possible that this is 0 if there was a fault reading the core temps

return $max_core_temp;

}

# reads the IPMI 'CPU Temp' field to determine overall CPU temperature
sub get_cpu_temp_ipmi
{
    my $cpu_temp = `$ipmitool sensor get \"CPU Temp\" | awk '/Sensor Reading/{print \$4}'`;
    chomp $cpu_temp;

dprint( 1, "CPU Temp: $cpu_temp\n");

$last_cpu_temp = $cpu_temp; # note, this hasn't been cleaned.
    return $cpu_temp;
}

sub decide_cpu_fan_level
{
    my ($cpu_temp, $cpu_fan) = @_;

#if cpu_temp evaluates as "0", its most likely the reading returned rubbish.
    if ($cpu_temp <= 0)
    {
        if( $cpu_temp eq "No")    # "No reading"
        {
            dprint( 0, "CPU Temp has no reading.\n");
        }
        elsif( $cpu_temp eq "Disabled" )
        {
            dprint( 0, "CPU Temp reading disabled.\n");
        }
        else
        {
            dprint( 0, "Unexpected CPU Temp ($cpu_temp).\n");
        }
        dprint( 0, "Assuming worst-case and going high.\n");
        $cpu_fan = "high";
    }
    else
    {
        if( $cpu_temp >= $high_cpu_temp )
        {
            if( $cpu_fan ne "high" )
            {
                dprint( 0, "CPU Temp: $cpu_temp >= $high_cpu_temp, CPU Fan going high.\n");
            }
            $cpu_fan = "high";
        }
        elsif( $cpu_temp >= $med_cpu_temp )
        {
            if( $cpu_fan ne "med" )
            {
                dprint( 0, "CPU Temp: $cpu_temp >= $med_cpu_temp, CPU Fan going med.\n");
            }
            $cpu_fan = "med";
        }
        elsif( $cpu_temp > $low_cpu_temp && ($cpu_fan eq "high" || $cpu_fan eq "" ) )
        {
            dprint( 0, "CPU Temp: $cpu_temp dropped below $med_cpu_temp, CPU Fan going med.\n");

$cpu_fan = "med";
        }
        elsif( $cpu_temp <= $low_cpu_temp )
        {
            if( $cpu_fan ne "low" )
            {
                dprint( 0, "CPU Temp: $cpu_temp <= $low_cpu_temp, CPU Fan going low.\n");
            }
            $cpu_fan = "low";
        }
    }

dprint( 1, "CPU Fan: $cpu_fan\n");

return $cpu_fan;
}

# zone,dutycycle%
sub set_fan_zone_duty_cycle
{
    my ( $zone, $duty ) = @_;

if( $zone < 0 || $zone > 1 )
    {
        bail_with_fans_full( "Illegal Fan Zone" );
    }

if( $duty < 0 || $duty > 100 )
    {
        dprint( 0, "illegal duty cycle, assuming 100%\n");
        $duty = 100;
    }

dprint( 1, "Setting Zone $zone duty cycle to $duty%\n");

`$ipmitool raw 0x30 0x70 0x66 0x01 $zone $duty`;

return;
}

sub set_fan_zone_level
{
    my ( $fan_zone, $level) = @_;
    my $duty = 0;

#assumes high if not low or med, for safety.
    if( $level eq "low" )
    {
        $duty = $fan_duty_low;
    }
    elsif( $level eq "med" )
    {
        $duty = $fan_duty_med;
    }
    else
    {
        $duty = $fan_duty_high;
    }

set_fan_zone_duty_cycle( $fan_zone, $duty );
}

sub get_fan_header_by_name
{
    my ($fan_name) = @_;

if( $fan_name eq "CPU" )
    {
        return $cpu_fan_header;
    }
    elsif( $fan_name eq "HD" )
    {
        return $hd_fan_header;
    }
    else
    {
        bail_with_full_fans( "No such fan : $fan_name\n" );
    }
}

sub get_fan_speed
{
    my ($fan_name) = @_;

my $fan = get_fan_header_by_name( $fan_name );

my $command = "$ipmitool sdr | grep $fan";
    dprint( 4, "get fan speed command = $command\n");

my $output = `$command`;
      my @vals = split(" ", $output);
      my $fan_speed = "$vals[2]";

dprint( 3, "fan_speed = $fan_speed\n");

if( $fan_speed eq "no" )
    {
        dprint( 0, "$fan_name Fan speed: No reading\n");
        $fan_speed = -1;
    }
    elsif( $fan_speed eq "disabled" )
    {
        dprint( 0, "$fan_name Fan speed: Disabled\n");
        $fan_speed = -1;

}
    elsif( $fan_speed > 10000 || $fan_speed < 0 )
    {
        dprint( 0, "$fan_name Fan speed: $fan_speed RPM, is nonsensical\n");
        $fan_speed = -1;
    }
    else  
    {
        dprint( 1, "$fan_name Fan speed: $fan_speed RPM\n");
    }

return $fan_speed;
}

sub reset_bmc
{
    #when the BMC reboots, it comes back up in its last fan mode... which should be FULL.

dprint( 0, "Resetting BMC\n");
    `$ipmitool bmc reset cold`;

return;
}

Let me know what you think :)

WARNING: shutdown the script before performing any IPMI firmware updates, or else.

Attachments

• hybrid_fan_controller.pl.zip
    8.5 KB · Views: 2,463
Last edited:

Stux

MVP
I made a small change adding a new threshold

$cpu_hd_override_temp;

This prevents the HD fans cycling when the CPU fans at "high" are capable of cooling the CPU under a moderate load without the HD fans help, but if they're not, then the HD fans will kick in.

It works quite nicely because once the override kicks in, it stays active until the CPU fans drop below "high" which is what you want, its annoying if the HD fans cycle.

edit: been playing with this a bit... I've bumped my cpu_hd_override_temp to 60C (from 55). means I can run 4 or 5 (out of 12) threads of mprime before the HD fan override kicks in. Its working very nicely

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
(I don't have sufficient privileges to create a new thread in Useful Scripts, so I'll post here.)
I'll fix that

joeschmuck

Old Man

Stux

MVP
I thought this graph was interesting, it shows some of the testing i've been doing for the cpu_hd_override_temp mod

cpu usage tests.png

All these tests have been undertaken while I'm running solnet_array_tester ;)

joeschmuck

Old Man
@Stux

I appreciate all the detailed notes in the script. That is something I do as well to explain what is going on. Also for me it helps me later when I look at my own code and need to figure out what the heck I was thinking.

Stux

MVP

Stux

MVP
Updated the script to refresh the HD list every time the HDs are scanned. This is so that hot-inserted HDs will start being temperature controlled when the are inserted, rather than at next restart!

While I was there I bumped the hd_fan_duty_med_high to 80, which works better on my system.

Code:
# 2016-09-26 hd_list is now refreshed before checking HD temps so that we start/stop monitoring devices that
#            have been hot inserted/removed.
#            "Drives are warm, going to 75%" log message was missing an unless clause causing it to print
#            every time

Last edited:

MisterIce

Explorer
Nice looking script.

Just as a side note for people who aren't that experienced with PC/Server building. Check the max amount of amps you can pull from a FAN header before needing a FAN-header/molex adapter.

Consumer grade motherboards generally (MSI/ Evga/ etc.) have 1 amp for a FAN header but my SuperMicro X11SSH-F has 2.5 amps before needing additional power.

Stux

MVP
Nice looking script.

Just as a side note for people who aren't that experienced with PC/Server building. Check the max amount of amps you can pull from a FAN header before needing a FAN-header/molex adapter.

Consumer grade motherboards generally (MSI/ Evga/ etc.) have 1 amp for a FAN header but my SuperMicro X11SSH-F has 2.5 amps before needing additional power.

Thanks, one nice thing with the Noctua NF-1F2 PWM fans I used in my HD fan wall are that they only draw 0.05A each.

MisterIce

Explorer
Thanks, one nice thing with the Noctua NF-1F2 PWM fans I used in my HD fan wall are that they only draw 0.05A each.
Yeah, a lot aftermarket fans are no problem. Even the Noctua Industrial 3000RPM fan only needs 0.3 amps.

The stock fans with the chassis aren't that power friendly. Here's an example:

Stock Corsair case fan (1000RPM) pulls 0.3 amps and costs $5,-, but buying an aftermarket Corsair High Performance fan (2350RPM) only pulls 0.18 but costs $25,-

skyline65

Explorer
I didn’t read the description properly before trying on my X9 system... doh! I thought great this works... as soon as it hit 40 the fans ramped up... and stayed that way. May I ask what actually stops it working on an X9 system? Thanks.

Stux

MVP
I didn’t read the description properly before trying on my X9 system... doh! I thought great this works... as soon as it hit 40 the fans ramped up... and stayed that way. May I ask what actually stops it working on an X9 system? Thanks.

Well, it might work on an x9 system. I don't have one though.

Can you increase the $debug setting and run it again? Hopefully we can see what's going wrong

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The BMC is different on X9. Commands may have different effects.

Stux

MVP
The BMC is different on X9. Commands may have different effects.

Apparently Kevin's original script does work on X9, so the basics should fundamentally be okay. It could be an issue with parsing output, or it could just be a configuration issue. For example, if something goes wrong, and can not be recovered, it will "bail_with_fans_high" for safety purposes.

If @skyline65 runs the controller in a terminal with the $debug setting cranked up to 4 or so, then tests it, I should be able to diagnose what the issue is from the output.

Of course, if you don't have two addressable fan-zones then there is not much point in using this script.

skyline65

Explorer
My case is similar but shorter. I have 2 fans in front of the hds instead. Looking at the log it doesnt seem to be picking up the cpu temp and assumes worse case. I have attached log and a few screens.

From the log:
Unable to send RAW command (channel=0x0 netfn=0x30 lun=0x0 cmd=0x70 rsp=0xcc): Invalid data field in request
Unable to send RAW command (channel=0x0 netfn=0x30 lun=0x0 cmd=0x70 rsp=0xcc): Invalid data field in request
2016-09-22 19:42:28: Unexpected CPU Temp (0h).
2016-09-22 19:42:28: Assuming worst-case and going high.
2016-09-22 19:42:31: CPU fan speed should be high, but < 1360.
2016-09-22 19:42:31: HD fan speed should be high, but < 1120.
2016-09-22 19:42:36: Resetting BMC
2016-09-22 19:42:37: Unexpected CPU Temp (0h).
2016-09-22 19:42:37: Assuming worst-case and going high.
2016-09-27 21:43:45: da0 da1 da2 da3 da4 da5 ada0 ada1 ada2 ada3 ada4
2016-09-27 21:43:45: da0

I cut out the long list of drives from here

2016-09-27 21:43:45: fanmode: full = 1
2016-09-27 21:43:45: Setting fan mode to 1 (full)
2016-09-27 21:43:51: CPU Temp: 0h
2016-09-27 21:43:51: Unexpected CPU Temp (0h).
2016-09-27 21:43:51: Assuming worst-case and going high.
2016-09-27 21:43:51: CPU Fan: high
2016-09-27 21:43:51: CPU Fan changing... (high)
2016-09-27 21:43:51: Setting Zone 0 duty cycle to 100%
2016-09-27 21:43:51: CPU Temp: 0h >= 60, Overiding HD fan zone to 100%,
2016-09-27 21:43:51: Setting Zone 1 duty cycle to 100%
2016-09-27 21:43:51: /usr/local/sbin/smartctl -A /dev/da0 | grep Temperature_Celsius
2016-09-27 21:43:51: 194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0022 121 101 000 Old_age Always - 29
2016-09-27 21:43:51: /dev/da0: 29

I cut out the long list of drives from here

2016-09-27 21:43:51: Maximum HD Temperature: 33
2016-09-27 21:43:51: Drives are cool enough, going to 30%
2016-09-27 21:43:52: CPU Temp: 0h
2016-09-27 21:43:52: Unexpected CPU Temp (0h).
2016-09-27 21:43:52: Assuming worst-case and going high.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 21.52.03.jpg
    Screen Shot 21.52.03.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,396
  • Screen Shot 21.35.56.jpg
    Screen Shot 21.35.56.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 1,218

Stux

MVP
Couple of things, yes, your IPMI CPU Temp says "Low" instead of a reading. Not the end of the world just means reading from somewhere else.

Also, your FANA ipmi thresholds look like they need adjusting.

Can you crank up the debug a bit higher?

I want to see what temp it's reading when it sees a temp of "oh"

skyline65

Explorer
I updated the firmware of the IPMI to the latest. Set debug to level 4 and fiddled with the fan thresholds... I wish there was an easy calculator for this... so no doubt mine are way off. Here is the output plus a few screenshots from IPMI and also terminal in OSX.

2016-09-28 14:14:01: da0 da1 da2 da3 da4 da5 ada0 ada1 ada2 ada3 ada4

2016-09-28 14:14:01: da0

2016-09-28 14:14:01: da1

2016-09-28 14:14:01: da2

2016-09-28 14:14:01: da3

2016-09-28 14:14:01: da4

2016-09-28 14:14:01: da5

2016-09-28 14:14:01: ada0

2016-09-28 14:14:01: ada1

2016-09-28 14:14:01: ada2

2016-09-28 14:14:01: ada3

2016-09-28 14:14:01: ada4

2016-09-28 14:14:01: fanmode: full = 1

2016-09-28 14:14:01: Setting fan mode to 1 (full)

2016-09-28 14:14:06: CPU Temp: 0h

2016-09-28 14:14:06: Unexpected CPU Temp (0h).

2016-09-28 14:14:06: Assuming worst-case and going high.

2016-09-28 14:14:06: CPU Fan: high

2016-09-28 14:14:06: CPU Fan changing... (high)

2016-09-28 14:14:06: Setting Zone 0 duty cycle to 100%

2016-09-28 14:14:06: CPU Temp: 0h >= 60, Overiding HD fan zone to 100%,

2016-09-28 14:14:06: Setting Zone 1 duty cycle to 100%

2016-09-28 14:14:06: /usr/local/sbin/smartctl -A /dev/da0 | grep Temperature_Celsius

2016-09-28 14:14:06: 194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0022 121 101 000 Old_age Always - 29

2016-09-28 14:14:06: /dev/da0: 29

2016-09-28 14:14:06: /usr/local/sbin/smartctl -A /dev/da1 | grep Temperature_Celsius

2016-09-28 14:14:06: 194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0022 119 084 000 Old_age Always - 31

2016-09-28 14:14:06: /dev/da1: 31

2016-09-28 14:14:06: /usr/local/sbin/smartctl -A /dev/da2 | grep Temperature_Celsius

2016-09-28 14:14:06: 194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0022 121 111 000 Old_age Always - 29

2016-09-28 14:14:06: /dev/da2: 29

2016-09-28 14:14:06: /usr/local/sbin/smartctl -A /dev/da3 | grep Temperature_Celsius

2016-09-28 14:14:06: 194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0022 121 110 000 Old_age Always - 29

2016-09-28 14:14:06: /dev/da3: 29

2016-09-28 14:14:06: /usr/local/sbin/smartctl -A /dev/da4 | grep Temperature_Celsius

2016-09-28 14:14:06: 194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0022 121 110 000 Old_age Always - 29

2016-09-28 14:14:06: /dev/da4: 29

2016-09-28 14:14:06: /usr/local/sbin/smartctl -A /dev/da5 | grep Temperature_Celsius

2016-09-28 14:14:06: 194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0022 121 111 000 Old_age Always - 29

2016-09-28 14:14:06: /dev/da5: 29

2016-09-28 14:14:06: /usr/local/sbin/smartctl -A /dev/ada0 | grep Temperature_Celsius

2016-09-28 14:14:06: 194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0022 075 075 030 Old_age Always - 25 (0 60 0 30 0)

231 Temperature_Celsius 0x0033 100 100 005 Pre-fail Always - 0

2016-09-28 14:14:06: /dev/ada0: 25

2016-09-28 14:14:06: /usr/local/sbin/smartctl -A /dev/ada1 | grep Temperature_Celsius

2016-09-28 14:14:06: 194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0022 118 097 000 Old_age Always - 32

2016-09-28 14:14:06: /dev/ada1: 32

2016-09-28 14:14:06: /usr/local/sbin/smartctl -A /dev/ada2 | grep Temperature_Celsius

2016-09-28 14:14:06: 194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0022 119 099 000 Old_age Always - 31

2016-09-28 14:14:06: /dev/ada2: 31

2016-09-28 14:14:06: /usr/local/sbin/smartctl -A /dev/ada3 | grep Temperature_Celsius

2016-09-28 14:14:06: 194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0022 120 103 000 Old_age Always - 30

2016-09-28 14:14:06: /dev/ada3: 30

2016-09-28 14:14:06: /usr/local/sbin/smartctl -A /dev/ada4 | grep Temperature_Celsius

2016-09-28 14:14:07: 194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0002 193 193 000 Old_age Always - 31 (Min/Max 18/43)

2016-09-28 14:14:07: /dev/ada4: 31

2016-09-28 14:14:07: Maximum HD Temperature: 32

2016-09-28 14:14:07: Drives are cool enough, going to 30%

2016-09-28 14:14:08: CPU Temp: 0h

2016-09-28 14:14:08: Unexpected CPU Temp (0h).

2016-09-28 14:14:08: Assuming worst-case and going high.

2016-09-28 14:14:08: CPU Fan: high

2016-09-28 14:14:09: CPU Temp: 0h

2016-09-28 14:14:09: Unexpected CPU Temp (0h).

2016-09-28 14:14:09: Assuming worst-case and going high.

2016-09-28 14:14:09: CPU Fan: high

2016-09-28 14:14:10: CPU Temp: 0h

2016-09-28 14:14:10: Unexpected CPU Temp (0h).

2016-09-28 14:14:10: Assuming worst-case and going high.

2016-09-28 14:14:10: CPU Fan: high

2016-09-28 14:14:11: CPU Temp: 0h

2016-09-28 14:14:11: Unexpected CPU Temp (0h).

2016-09-28 14:14:11: Assuming worst-case and going high.

2016-09-28 14:14:11: CPU Fan: high

2016-09-28 14:14:12: CPU Temp: 0h

2016-09-28 14:14:12: Unexpected CPU Temp (0h).

2016-09-28 14:14:12: Assuming worst-case and going high.

2016-09-28 14:14:12: CPU Fan: high

2016-09-28 14:14:13: CPU Temp: 0h

2016-09-28 14:14:13: Unexpected CPU Temp (0h).

2016-09-28 14:14:13: Assuming worst-case and going high.

2016-09-28 14:14:13: CPU Fan: high

2016-09-28 14:14:14: CPU Temp: 0h

2016-09-28 14:14:14: Unexpected CPU Temp (0h).

2016-09-28 14:14:14: Assuming worst-case and going high.

2016-09-28 14:14:14: CPU Fan: high

2016-09-28 14:14:15: CPU Temp: 0h

2016-09-28 14:14:15: Unexpected CPU Temp (0h).

2016-09-28 14:14:15: Assuming worst-case and going high.

2016-09-28 14:14:15: CPU Fan: high

2016-09-28 14:14:17: CPU Temp: 0h

2016-09-28 14:14:17: Unexpected CPU Temp (0h).

2016-09-28 14:14:17: Assuming worst-case and going high.

2016-09-28 14:14:17: CPU Fan: high

2016-09-28 14:14:17: fan_speed =

2016-09-28 14:14:17: CPU Fan speed: RPM

2016-09-28 14:14:17: fan_speed =

2016-09-28 14:14:17: HD Fan speed: RPM

2016-09-28 14:14:17: CPU fan speed should be high, but < 1560.

2016-09-28 14:14:17: HD fan speed should be high, but < 1200.

2016-09-28 14:14:17: bmc_fail_count: 1, bmc_fail_threshold: 1

2016-09-28 14:14:17: Fan speeds are not where they should be, will try again.

2016-09-28 14:14:17: fanmode: full = 1

2016-09-28 14:14:17: Setting fan mode to 1 (full)

2016-09-28 14:14:22: Setting Zone 0 duty cycle to 100%

2016-09-28 14:14:22: Setting Zone 1 duty cycle to 100%

2016-09-28 14:14:23: CPU Temp: 0h

2016-09-28 14:14:23: Unexpected CPU Temp (0h).

2016-09-28 14:14:23: Assuming worst-case and going high.

2016-09-28 14:14:23: CPU Fan: high

2016-09-28 14:14:24: CPU Temp: 0h

2016-09-28 14:14:24: Unexpected CPU Temp (0h).

2016-09-28 14:14:24: Assuming worst-case and going high.

2016-09-28 14:14:24: CPU Fan: high

2016-09-28 14:14:26: CPU Temp: 0h

2016-09-28 14:14:26: Unexpected CPU Temp (0h).

2016-09-28 14:14:26: Assuming worst-case and going high.

2016-09-28 14:14:26: CPU Fan: high

2016-09-28 14:14:27: CPU Temp: 0h

2016-09-28 14:14:27: Unexpected CPU Temp (0h).

2016-09-28 14:14:27: Assuming worst-case and going high.

2016-09-28 14:14:27: CPU Fan: high

2016-09-28 14:14:28: CPU Temp: 0h

2016-09-28 14:14:28: Unexpected CPU Temp (0h).

2016-09-28 14:14:28: Assuming worst-case and going high.

2016-09-28 14:14:28: CPU Fan: high

2016-09-28 14:14:29: CPU Temp: 0h

2016-09-28 14:14:29: Unexpected CPU Temp (0h).

2016-09-28 14:14:29: Assuming worst-case and going high.

2016-09-28 14:14:29: CPU Fan: high

2016-09-28 14:14:30: CPU Temp: 0h

2016-09-28 14:14:30: Unexpected CPU Temp (0h).

2016-09-28 14:14:30: Assuming worst-case and going high.

2016-09-28 14:14:30: CPU Fan: high

2016-09-28 14:14:31: CPU Temp: 0h

2016-09-28 14:14:31: Unexpected CPU Temp (0h).

2016-09-28 14:14:31: Assuming worst-case and going high.

2016-09-28 14:14:31: CPU Fan: high

2016-09-28 14:14:32: CPU Temp: 0h

2016-09-28 14:14:32: Unexpected CPU Temp (0h).

2016-09-28 14:14:32: Assuming worst-case and going high.

2016-09-28 14:14:32: CPU Fan: high

2016-09-28 14:14:33: CPU Temp: 0h

2016-09-28 14:14:33: Unexpected CPU Temp (0h).

2016-09-28 14:14:33: Assuming worst-case and going high.

2016-09-28 14:14:33: CPU Fan: high

2016-09-28 14:14:33: fan_speed =

2016-09-28 14:14:33: CPU Fan speed: RPM

2016-09-28 14:14:34: fan_speed =

2016-09-28 14:14:34: HD Fan speed: RPM

2016-09-28 14:14:34: CPU fan speed should be high, but < 1560.

2016-09-28 14:14:34: HD fan speed should be high, but < 1200.

2016-09-28 14:14:34: bmc_fail_count: 2, bmc_fail_threshold: 1

2016-09-28 14:14:34: Fan speeds are still not where they should be after 2 attempts, will reboot BMC.

2016-09-28 14:14:34: fanmode: full = 1

2016-09-28 14:14:34: Setting fan mode to 1 (full)

2016-09-28 14:14:39: Resetting BMC

2016-09-28 14:14:40: CPU Temp: 0h

2016-09-28 14:14:40: Unexpected CPU Temp (0h).

2016-09-28 14:14:40: Assuming worst-case and going high.

2016-09-28 14:14:40: CPU Fan: high

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 14.00.06.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 14.00.06.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 1,089
  • Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 14.01.25.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 14.01.25.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 1,244
  • Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 14.04.03.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 14.04.03.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,229

Stux

MVP
Which motherboard do you have?

Looks like there is a space in the name of your fan headers, so "FAN A" instead of "FANA" in my script.

Also, can you verify this command works

ipmitool raw 0x30 0x70 0x66 0x01 0 50

That should set zone zero to 50%

Last edited:

Stux

MVP
This is the current function which calculates the temp:

Code:
sub get_cpu_temp
{
    my $cpu_temp = `$ipmitool sensor get \"CPU Temp\" | awk '/Sensor Reading/{print \$4}'`;
    chomp $cpu_temp;

dprint( 1, "CPU Temp: $cpu_temp\n");

$last_cpu_temp = $cpu_temp; # note, this hasn't been cleaned.
    return $cpu_temp;
}

Someone (me?) will need to replace it with an alternative which reads the temp from sysctl

Something like :
sysctl -a |egrep -E "cpu\.[0-9]+\.temp"

In the meantime,
Add :

$cpu_temp = 45;

Just before the dprint line. That will hardcode it so you can test the rest of the script.

I think either an avg or max of the core temps would be sufficient. Not sure, will have to do some playing.