SOLVED CPU FAN going crazy, need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

s0n1kpt

Dabbler
Hi,

I'm having a problem with my cpu fan.
I build my HomeNAS starting with 3non-PWM Fans, MB Supermicro X11SSM-F, 2x16G Samsung ECC, intel E3-1230v6, while i wait for the hdd i do a burnin to see if everything is ok, and cpu and ram stress finish without a single problem, the cpu fan work really good at slow rate when the temp was low and a litle high rate when the cpu temp went up, but the non-PWM fans do i litle noise so i change them with 3be quiet wing 3.
I do the change and the new fans go crazy spinning up and down and i use the ipmitool instructions on the forum, the 3fan run ok but the cpu went crazy always at max speed, i dont change nothing on cpu fan, why it went crazy?
I have cpu Fan on FAN1, like supermicro userguide instruction and the other 3 from FAN2 to FAN4.

I try to reset de bmc but without success...

What can i do?

Thanks

Stux

MVP
It's probably one of two things

1) You didn't set the lower critical thresholds for the fan correctly, and the BMC is thinking the fan has stalled, and is thus surging it

or

2) the fan is actually stalling because the BMC is setting it below 30% where some of the quiet fans will stall. (and thus surging it)

Look in the IPMI event log to see what it says, fix the first problem, and use a custom fan controller (see my signature) to fix the second problem.

s0n1kpt

Dabbler
It's probably one of two things

1) You didn't set the lower critical thresholds for the fan correctly, and the BMC is thinking the fan has stalled, and is thus surging it

or

2) the fan is actually stalling because the BMC is setting it below 30% where some of the quiet fans will stall. (and thus surging it)

Look in the IPMI event log to see what it says, fix the first problem, and use a custom fan controller (see my signature) to fix the second problem.

I look in the IPMI event log, i don't remember earlier, and you are 100% right, the problem are my pwm fans, they completely stop on lower rate and ipmi speed all of them and them try to lower again and again ...
I tried the values:
lnc lc lnc
0 100 200
100 200 300
200 300 400
300 400 500
All without success, what do you recommend new fans ?

Thanks

Stux

MVP
What fan mode have you got your BMC set to?

I use 0,0,200 fan thresholds for my Noctuas.

s0n1kpt

Dabbler
What fan mode have you got your BMC set to?

I use 0,0,200 fan thresholds for my Noctuas.

I tried optimal and standard, both with the same result.

Stux

MVP

s0n1kpt

Dabbler

s0n1kpt

Dabbler
Just one question, i'm reading your script for the hybrid fan controller but i don't understand how you get the max fan speed for cpu, for hdd is easy because you have two equal fans.
For example my exausting fan on fan4 is 1000rpm max and my cpu fan on fan1 is 3000rpm max, what speed should i set cpu_fan_max_speed?
Thanks

Stux

MVP
Just one question, i'm reading your script for the hybrid fan controller but i don't understand how you get the max fan speed for cpu, for hdd is easy because you have two equal fans.
For example my exausting fan on fan4 is 1000rpm max and my cpu fan on fan1 is 3000rpm max, what speed should i set cpu_fan_max_speed?
Thanks

The variable cpu_fan_header specifies which fan the speed is checked to test if the speed change worked

This is to protect against the BMC crashing.

The CPU fan is probably the most critical in the system, so you should check that one. That way, if the fan fails the system will set everything else high which should prevent a meltdown ;)

s0n1kpt

Dabbler
Stux, thanks for your help.
After hours testing everything i try with a noctua fan and no problem at all, i replace all the fan with noctua NF-A14 PWM.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.