SOLVED Scale RC.2 - Fails to boot or manually import boot-pool

mattyv316

Dabbler
I am having an issue with Scale where the system fails to boot the last time I went to reboot it. It prompts me to manually import 'boot-pool'. If I run zpool import -N boot-pool, I get a message that it cannot import 'boot-pool' because one or more devices is currently unavailable. If I run zpool status -v, it tells me no pools are available. Can someone please help? Here is more info on my setup:
Dell R730XD
2x CPUs - 2.0 GHZ E5-2660 v4
128GB DDR4
HDDs:
2x 400GB SFF SSD in the 2 rear bays mirrored as boot-pool
6x 8TB SATA drives in the 730XDs front bays setup as a RAID5/RAID z1
1x 1tb NVME drive installed in an Asus PCIe-NVME card internally as its own pool

One thing I have been noticing is that I originally setup the 2 - 400GB SFF drives in a mirror and partitioned the unused space as a separate pool for apps/data. After doing this, when I added a new HDD, one of the mirrored boot drives would get a new drive ID. When this happened, the application dataset would break. Because of this, I decided to use the mirror only for boot-pool. Not sure if that info helps or not, but figured I would share. Please let me know if there is any other info I can provide.
Thanks

Alecmascot

Guru
How are the boot drives attached ?
What HBA are you using ?

mattyv316

Dabbler
How are the boot drives attached ?
What HBA are you using ?
the 2 boot drives are the 2.5" drives in the rear bays of the 730xd. That is my boot-pool. HBA for the internal backplane is HBA330 Mini.
Thanks

Alecmascot

Guru

mattyv316

Dabbler
the 330 is just a pass through HBA and does not have the ability to do hardware raid (at least that was my understanding), so I never flashed it to IT mode, but it is not doing any hardware raid. Also, yes the boot drives are connected to the 330. The H330 runs both the front and rear drive backplanes, so the front 6 - 8 TB, 3.5" drives and the 2 rear 2.5"SSDs mirrored as boot are all connected via H330.

Alecmascot

Guru
This may be applicable:
There are many other posts with issues from this server.

mattyv316

Dabbler
This may be applicable:
There are many other posts with issues from this server.
Thank you. I will definitely try this. Also, had no idea that HBA330 and HBA330 mini were different. Seems strange that I would be able to install, and configure everything, but a random reboot would show this. I'd understand it if the drives never showed up, or errored from the start.

I have a R720 running Core flawlessly. I will have to re-check to see what HBA I have in there.

mattyv316

Dabbler
@Alecmascot , Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Cross-flashing my H330 mini with the FW in that post worked. Once flashed, Scale booted boot-pool fine.
Not sure why it randomly stopped booting though. I have been testing different builds of Scale and have not had an issue with the OS not finding the pools up until now, and did a fresh install of RC2 that was running for a few days before this surfaced.