how to import manually created pool?

Evan Richardson

Explorer
I have a Intel Optane 900p nvme drive that I originally used for a SLOG, but now I've upgraded from CORE to SCALE, and I'm going to reconfigure my environment, moving Plex off of a dedicated kubernetes node onto the Scale server. Since I'll be moving plex (and it's gpu), I wanted to use the Optane drive for transcoding as well, so I've done the following:

used parted to create two partitions:
1: 1MB 20GB zfs
2. 20GB 100% (~240GB) zfs

since it doesn't seem possible to persist an fstab edit, I decided to just create a second pool using the following:

Code:
zpool create transcode nvme0n1p2 -f

I now correctly see two pools:
NAME SIZE ALLOC FREE CKPOINT EXPANDSZ FRAG CAP DEDUP HEALTH ALTROOT
freenas-boot 58.5G 30.0G 28.5G - - 22% 51% 1.00x ONLINE -
sirius 305T 110T 196T - - 2% 35% 1.00x ONLINE /mnt
transcode 242G 105K 242G - - 0% 0% 1.00x ONLINE -

however when I go to the UI, I do not see the second pool (transcode), nor can I import the pool (just shows "--"). How can i go about adding the second pool to the system so that plex can use it to transcode? This will be in lieu of the current ramdrive I use on my kubernetes host.

Thanks!

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is the pool already imported? If so, the GUI naturally can't import it again. But if you export it using the CLI (zpool export transcode), you should then be able to import it using the GUI.

Evan Richardson

Explorer
Is the pool already imported? If so, the GUI naturally can't import it again. But if you export it using the CLI (zpool export transcode), you should then be able to import it using the GUI.
I don't think so. All i did was the following:

• parted /dev/nvme0n1
    • mkpart zfs 1MB 20GB
    • mkpart zfs 39061504s 100%
    • quit
  • zpool create transcode nvme0n1p2

I then ran zpool list to make sure it showed up (it did). Then I went into the UI, saw that it didn't show up, so i tried to go to "import pool" but nothing shows up there either.

Here's all I see in the UI:
1660519818197.png

and import:
1660519839089.png

Update: so i tried
Code:
zpool export transcode

and this remove the pool even from zpool list. I then went and refreshed the UI, and was able to import it, now it shows up in the GUI. thanks @danb35 looks like doing things via the CLI only gets you 95% of the way there.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I then ran zpool list to make sure it showed up (it did).
...which I'm pretty sure means it's already imported. I don't think zpool list shows offline pools.

Evan Richardson

Explorer
...which I'm pretty sure means it's already imported. I don't think zpool list shows offline pools.
this is true, however the UI never registered it. exporting it and then reporting via UI got it to show up:
1660520665559.png

I'll chalk this up to a UI bug or something =)

danb35

Hall of Famer
this is true, however the UI never registered it.
That's to be expected--the UI only knows about what's in its database. It should be good from here on out, though.