Problem with a H330 and SSDs

aquatroll

Cadet
Hi

I've got a Dell R720XD with a H330 in HBA mode.

I'd like to install TrueNAS on it but it cannot see any SSDs when I plug them into the backplane. They appear to be working because they show up during boot but with an error:
Code:
da0 at mrsas0 bus 1 scbus1 target 0 lun0
da0: <ATA INTEL SSDSC2KB48 0132> s/n XXXXXXXX detached
g_access(961): provider da0 has error 6 set

This error shows up just after the SSDs get recognized and occurs with two brand new of these Intel branded SSDs and any of the SSDs that I've found lying arround.

If I plug in and 2,5 SAS HDs they show up as normal and the SSDs can be seen and manipulated through iDRAC.

Thanks in advance

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
If you aren't mixing SAS and SATA, then I have to assume there's something in the Dell firmware that isn't liking them, or the "HBA mode" as usual isn't sufficient (which often happens) - although that model seems to suggest it's a Dell branded drive.

I'd recommend you crossflash the H330 to an HBA330 personally.

aquatroll

Cadet
If you aren't mixing SAS and SATA, then I have to assume there's something in the Dell firmware that isn't liking them, or the "HBA mode" as usual isn't sufficient (which often happens) - although that model seems to suggest it's a Dell branded drive.

I'd recommend you crossflash the H330 to an HBA330 personally.

Thanks for the reply,

I would be mixing SAS and SATA if the SATA SSDs where presented inside of TrueNAS but even bay themselves, I get that error. In fact I get that error with any SSD even a crappy Kingston or a Toshiba. Same error and just seen that they all get synced at 150MB/s not SATA3 speeds.

I'd like to keep the info shown in iDRAC for the controller and drives, is it still possible to see that info if I crossflash to an HBA330? I know for sure that crossflaching a H710 mini mono or H310 mini mono you loose the info in iDRAC.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Since the process will end up with the card believing it's an HBA330 with Dell firmware, the iDRAC information should still populate correctly. The H710/H310 crossflashes end up with the card taking LSI firmware so there wouldn't be any Dell-specific hooks.

Getting synced only to 150MB/s SATA1 speeds feels like a backplane or cabling issue, although it wasn't unusual to see this happen historically with SAS1 expanders (especially where HP was involved)

aquatroll

Cadet
Since the process will end up with the card believing it's an HBA330 with Dell firmware, the iDRAC information should still populate correctly. The H710/H310 crossflashes end up with the card taking LSI firmware so there wouldn't be any Dell-specific hooks.

Getting synced only to 150MB/s SATA1 speeds feels like a backplane or cabling issue, although it wasn't unusual to see this happen historically with SAS1 expanders (especially where HP was involved)
Thanks!

I´ll take the crossflashing route then and see if that fixes my problems.

Again, thank you for your time,

aquatroll

Cadet
Just in case this is useful to anyone it's been solved.

I updated the controller to the latest Dell Firmware and all the problems went away.

My fault, thought it was on the latest but, when I went to double check, I saw it wasn't.