Pool offline after upgrade from Core 12-u7 to Scale 22.02-RC.2

sveneb

Cadet
I have been running a Truenas core for a while with 2 mirrored SSD boot disks and 6 x WD 4TB disks. The disk is set up in a RaidZ2
Today I decided to try to upgrade to SCALE version 22.02-RC.2 (from core 12 u7)
I order to be able to go back in case something failed i decided to unplug one of the boot disk before the upgrade.
The upgrade went fine, and the system boots up fine, and I can access the web interface fine, and all configurations looks like it has been migrated successfully.
The only fail is the the pool containing the 6 x WD disk are showing as offline

PoolOffline.png

But it can see the disks fine:
Disks.png

If I run the zpool status i does not see the pool at all. and If I try to run zpool import it says that there are no pools to be imported
Pool status.png

The error on the boot pool is expected, because i only have one of the boot disks plugged in.

If i switch back to the other boot disk, and boot back into Truenas core, everything works again and the pool are working fine.

I have a backup of the disk keys, in case I need that ;-)

What am I missing to get the pool online again?

Thanks in advance
sveneb

Main board
ASRock X370 Taichi with a Ryzen 7 2700X processor
32 GB ram

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
You mentioned backup of the "Disk keys". Does that mean you are using GELI / Full Disk encryption on CORE? If so, those disks will not be able to import on SCALE, since that encryption method is BSD specific and deprecated as well.

Xan

Cadet
I have two pools. Raidz 4xSSD and raidz2 8xHDD. Both passphrase encrypted. HDD one can be unlocked. SSD not. Strange error something about renaming some dataset if I remember correctly.
Reverting back to 1.2 and no more problem.

sveneb

Cadet
You mentioned backup of the "Disk keys". Does that mean you are using GELI / Full Disk encryption on CORE? If so, those disks will not be able to import on SCALE, since that encryption method is BSD specific and deprecated as well.
Hi Kris
Thanks for the reply.
How do I check if I am using GELI / Full Disk encryption?

BR
Sveneb

sveneb

Cadet
Thanks for the hint Kris.

You were totally right about the GELI encryption.

Here is how i confirmed it, and solved it.

When you do a zpool status, all the disks that have been encrypted with GELI have the prefix ".eli"

Example:
PoolDisks.png

To solve this you need to boot the system in the truenas core environment.
I used this great guide: https://www.truenas.com/community/t...om-a-zfs-volume-while-keeping-the-data.16467/

Before you start this process, then you should scrup the pool to make sure you don't have any disk errors before you start.

Because I have a redundant system i can remove one disk at a time without loosing data. So the above guide tells you how to remove a disk from a pool, remove the encrypted partition from it, and reinserting it, as if it was a new blank disk. After this you wait for the "resilvering" to take place. Im my case it took about an hour.
Once the first disk has been resilvered, and the pool is fully online again, you can proceed with the next disk.
After I removed all the GELI encryption from all the disks, I was able to boot the system into Truenas SCALE and the pool was working as expected again :smile:

Thanks again Kris for the hint
BR
sveneb