SOLVED Upgrade SCALE to nightly from 22.02-RC.2

Fiskelord

Cadet
Hello!

I am looking to upgrade my system to the nightly train, due to issues with slow application loading times, as i found this Jira thread saying a fix should be present there: Jira thread

So I tried with downloading the latest nightly update file from here, and updating it from the UI, but it just gives me an error message:

Code:
Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 409, in run
    await self.future
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 445, in __run_body
    rv = await self.method(*([self] + args))
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1269, in nf
    return await func(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/update.py", line 412, in file
    await self.middleware.call('update.install_manual_impl', job, destfile, dest_extracted)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1324, in call
    return await self._call(
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1292, in _call
    return await self.run_in_executor(prepared_call.executor, methodobj, *prepared_call.args)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1192, in run_in_executor
    return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 52, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/update_/install_linux.py", line 23, in install_manual_impl
    self._install(
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/update_/install_linux.py", line 41, in _install
    raise CallError(f'Unable to downgrade from {old_version} to {new_version}')
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] Unable to downgrade from 22.02-RC.2 to 22.02.1-MASTER-20220210-232922

I tried updating with the same file from CLI, with this being the error:

Code:
[FiskeServer]> system update manual path="/mnt/Pool/user-home/jstrand/TrueNAS-SCALE.update"
[50%] Reading update file...
Error: [EFAULT] Unable to downgrade from 22.02-RC.2 to 22.02.1-MASTER-20220210-232922

I find that a bit weird, as forum posts such as this one tells me i should be able to just update it. The keyword in the error message probably is "Unable to DOWNGRADE", so the system probably thinks the update is older than the installed version?

Anyone have an idea as to why? The nightly is from today, so i believe it should be newer.

truecharts

Guru
Hello!

I am looking to upgrade my system to the nightly train, due to issues with slow application loading times, as i found this Jira thread saying a fix should be present there: Jira thread

So I tried with downloading the latest nightly update file from here, and updating it from the UI, but it just gives me an error message:

Code:
Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 409, in run
    await self.future
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 445, in __run_body
    rv = await self.method(*([self] + args))
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1269, in nf
    return await func(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/update.py", line 412, in file
    await self.middleware.call('update.install_manual_impl', job, destfile, dest_extracted)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1324, in call
    return await self._call(
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1292, in _call
    return await self.run_in_executor(prepared_call.executor, methodobj, *prepared_call.args)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1192, in run_in_executor
    return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 52, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/update_/install_linux.py", line 23, in install_manual_impl
    self._install(
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/update_/install_linux.py", line 41, in _install
    raise CallError(f'Unable to downgrade from {old_version} to {new_version}')
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] Unable to downgrade from 22.02-RC.2 to 22.02.1-MASTER-20220210-232922

I tried updating with the same file from CLI, with this being the error:

Code:
[FiskeServer]> system update manual path="/mnt/Pool/user-home/jstrand/TrueNAS-SCALE.update"
[50%] Reading update file...
Error: [EFAULT] Unable to downgrade from 22.02-RC.2 to 22.02.1-MASTER-20220210-232922

I find that a bit weird, as forum posts such as this one tells me i should be able to just update it. The keyword in the error message probably is "Unable to DOWNGRADE", so the system probably thinks the update is older than the installed version?

Anyone have an idea as to why? The nightly is from today, so i believe it should be newer.

Nightly also has a lot of downsides, so we would personally advice our HotPatch instead of using nightly if your only reason is the slow Apps.

@Fiskelord

Known issue. See following thread for upgrade work around.

Last edited:

Fiskelord

Cadet
Nightly also has a lot of downsides, so we would personally advice our HotPatch instead of using nightly if your only reason is the slow Apps.
Thanks for the info, the slow apps issue is the only reason i wanted nightly, so if your HotPatch works for that, it indeed is my best option.
I tried googling for your HotPatch, but i cant find anything on how to install it. I tried to search for it in the catalog, but to no avail. Would you please point me in the right direction? :)

Fiskelord

Cadet
@Fiskelord

Known issue. See following thread for upgrade work around.

Thank you very much for the link, if i cant get the HotPatch working, this is the way i will go forward!

truecharts

Guru
Thanks for the info, the slow apps issue is the only reason i wanted nightly, so if your HotPatch works for that, it indeed is my best option.
I tried googling for your HotPatch, but i cant find anything on how to install it. I tried to search for it in the catalog, but to no avail. Would you please point me in the right direction? :)

We posted instructions both elsewhere on this forum and on the TrueNAS discord.
It's not an App, it's just a side project.

truecharts

Guru

Fiskelord

Cadet
We posted instructions both elsewhere on this forum and on the TrueNAS discord.
It's not an App, it's just a side project.
Thanks a lot for the help, applied the patch, and it was instant relief. Now i can continue with my instanity :)

Thanks again!