Not able to update Truenas Scale

Lansing123

Dabbler
Hello, I have tried to update truenas scale but i am unable too. I only get an error that sais "FAILED" i have the full log further down. I am trying to update from TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.0.1 too TrueNAS-22.02.3. I was unable to update to TrueNAS-22.02.2 when i tried before too. I have both tried automatic update, and downloading the file manually and uploading it. Does anyone have a clue on what's happening?
Error: Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/update_/utils_linux.py", line 18, in mount_update subprocess.run(["mount", "-t", "squashfs", "-o", "loop", path, mounted], **run_kw) File "/usr/lib/python3.9/subprocess.py", line 528, in run raise CalledProcessError(retcode, process.args, subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command '['mount', '-t', 'squashfs', '-o', 'loop', '/var/tmp/firmware/manualupdate.tar', '/tmp/tmp0ubpniv3']' returned non-zero exit status 1. During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred: Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 423, in run await self.future File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 459, in __run_body rv = await self.method(*([self] + args)) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1261, in nf return await func(*args, **kwargs) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/update.py", line 412, in file await self.middleware.call('update.install_manual_impl', job, destfile, dest_extracted) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1318, in call return await self._call( File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1286, in _call return await self.run_in_executor(prepared_call.executor, methodobj, *prepared_call.args) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1186, in run_in_executor return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs)) File "/usr/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 52, in run result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/update_/install_linux.py", line 23, in install_manual_impl self._install( File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/update_/install_linux.py", line 34, in _install with mount_update(path) as mounted: File "/usr/lib/python3.9/contextlib.py", line 117, in __enter__ return next(self.gen) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/update_/utils_linux.py", line 20, in mount_update raise CallError(f"Invalid update image file. Please, re-download update. Error: {e.stdout}") middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] Invalid update image file. Please, re-download update. Error:

Hardware:
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700 CPU @ 3.00GHz
RAM: DDR4 (None ECC) 32GB
Motherboard: Asus WS C246M PRO Series
Boot Drive: Samsung 980 NVMe 250GB
Data drives: 10x 8TB raid2z different models. (8x Toshiba 2x WD red)
No harddisk controller
Network card that is on the motherboard

Last edited:

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Hello, I have tried to update truenas scale but i am unable too. I only get an error that sais "FAILED" i have the full log further down. I am trying to update from TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.0.1 too TrueNAS-22.02.3. I was unable to update to TrueNAS-22.02.2 when i tried before too. I have both tried automatic update, and downloading the file manually and uploading it. Does anyone have a clue on what's happening?
Unusual.
Can you provide a full description of hardware and boot devices as per "Forum Rules"

I assume you have tried updates to 22.02.1 this upgrade was well tested.
If it fails, I'm suspecting its a physical issue.

Lansing123

Dabbler
Unusual.
Can you provide a full description of hardware and boot devices as per "Forum Rules"

I assume you have tried updates to 22.02.1 this upgrade was well tested.
If it fails, I'm suspecting its a physical issue.
Thanks for the replay. I have updated the post with the hardware information.

I tried to get the https://download.truenas.com/truena...eNAS-SCALE-22.02.1-MASTER-20220513-040435.iso again, same error.

Code:
Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/update_/utils_linux.py", line 18, in mount_update
    subprocess.run(["mount", "-t", "squashfs", "-o", "loop", path, mounted], **run_kw)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/subprocess.py", line 528, in run
    raise CalledProcessError(retcode, process.args,
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command '['mount', '-t', 'squashfs', '-o', 'loop', '/var/tmp/firmware/manualupdate.tar', '/tmp/tmp670pirfe']' returned non-zero exit status 1.

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 423, in run
    await self.future
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 459, in __run_body
    rv = await self.method(*([self] + args))
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1261, in nf
    return await func(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/update.py", line 412, in file
    await self.middleware.call('update.install_manual_impl', job, destfile, dest_extracted)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1318, in call
    return await self._call(
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1286, in _call
    return await self.run_in_executor(prepared_call.executor, methodobj, *prepared_call.args)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1186, in run_in_executor
    return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 52, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/update_/install_linux.py", line 23, in install_manual_impl
    self._install(
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/update_/install_linux.py", line 34, in _install
    with mount_update(path) as mounted:
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/contextlib.py", line 117, in __enter__
    return next(self.gen)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/update_/utils_linux.py", line 20, in mount_update
    raise CallError(f"Invalid update image file. Please, re-download update. Error: {e.stdout}")
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] Invalid update image file. Please, re-download update. Error: 

Last edited:

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
It would seem your current system is corrupted. It shouldn't happen, but you do have no ECC RAM so thing can happen silently.
Perhaps you'll have to clear boot drive and do a fresh install... reimport the pool.
You can save your config file for faster restore.
If you have another boot drive, you could make a new one... and keep the old one for safety.

Does anyone else have any better ideas?

Lansing123

Dabbler
It would seem your current system is corrupted. It shouldn't happen, but you do have no ECC RAM so thing can happen silently.
Perhaps you'll have to clear boot drive and do a fresh install... reimport the pool.
You can save your config file for faster restore.
If you have another boot drive, you could make a new one... and keep the old one for safety.

Does anyone else have any better ideas?
Hello, thanks again for the reply. I don't really mind reinstalling the OS. With pool importing and config save it should not take very long, i was just hoping it was some other issue that could be solved. I can't do the reinstall for around 2-3 weeks so i will wait until then and see if someone else has an idea on what it could be in the meantime