Scale 22.12.2 - Static IP for 1 interface?

dust_bro

Dabbler
I feel like I missing something obvious here. I have an onboard NIC I use for Management, and a 10G pci card I use for data. I'd like to use DHCP for the internal, and set the 10G to a static IP.
When I uncheck the DHCP setting on the 10G card, it also unchecks the DHCP setting for my internal card. I can't seem to be able to set them to different values.
Don't remember this happening on Core.

dust_bro

Dabbler
does no one else have issues with this? You're able to set a static IP for one NIC and DHCP for another?

Davvo

MVP

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You might want to think about this:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
When I uncheck the DHCP setting on the 10G card, it also unchecks the DHCP setting for my internal card. I can't seem to be able to set them to different values.

This isn't supported. The purpose of DHCP is actually to allow bootstrapping of your NAS into your network, and once you can reach it via either the VGA console UI or the network webGUI, you really should configure it for a static IP address. Infrastructure systems like NAS that establish long-lived TCP sessions should not be subjected to DHCP lease renewals, which cause connection drops.

DHCP is allowed on one single interface on the system. The default configuration enables it on all interfaces, but only because the NAS has no idea what interface you intend to use. DHCP on multiple interfaces introduces configuration ambiguity into the system, as argued previously with various DHCP zealots on these forums. The GUI attempts to enforce the one-single-interface rule for DHCP; attempting to set more than one interface to DHCP, or attempting to mix static IP configuration along with DHCP will appropriately be prevented by the GUI.