Replication from Truenas Scale to my old Qnap NAS

corin.corvus

Dabbler
Hi,

at the moment i try to build a backup replication between my Truenas Scale Server and my old Qnap 4bay T431.

So i create backup credentials with a SSH Keypair, generate the Keypair on the Truenas and downloaded it. This are txt files. On my Qnap NAS i can import TLS Certificates, but the certificate is not supported. i tried txt and pem. So i login in the shell of qnap and add the file authorized_keys in /etc/config/ssh folder and to be save in the .ssh folder of the admin user i use to login and want to use for replication, add the Public Key and restart the system. It dont work.

I already tried the other way with a shell created keypair on the qnap nas, but it wont work.
Every time i get an authentication failure.
I only can connect via password over shell on truenas to the qnap nas.

Did anyone solve similar like this?

Thanks

Sources:
Qnap Tutorial: https://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/SSH:_How_To_Set_Up_Authorized_Keys
Truenas Tutorial: https://www.truenas.com/docs//core/uireference/system/sshkeypairs/

SnoppyFloppy

Explorer
Have you created a specific user on the Qnap host for this task and if so, have you added that user to AllowUsers in /etc/ssh/sshd_config?

Also, what cipher are you using when creating key pairs on the Truenas host? I would assume that the key you need to copy would be in the format id_<cipher>.pub, eg. id_ed25519.pub.

Before you try to get key based connection to work between Truenas and Qnap, try to establish a connection to Qnap from your pc:
1) On your PC, create a key pair
2) on Qnap, create a user and add it to AllowUsers in /etc/ssh/sshd_config (if not already done)
3) Copy the public key to from the PC to Qnap using ssh-copy-id username@remote_host
4) Try to establish a connection with the key by ssh -i ~/.ssh/id_XXXXXXX username@remote_host

If that succeeds you should be ready to try to connect Truenas to Qnap.

Last edited:

corin.corvus

Dabbler
Is key-based authorization enabled in the ssh daemon on the Qnap NAS?
Thats a good question. Where i can see it? I never see it in the tutorials.

Here are my SSH Settings:
1668164718488.png

i tried to login via ssh now, but i only get a connection refused. i try to solve this at the moment. after i want to show in sshd_config

SnoppyFloppy

Explorer
I don't use Qnap so I'm not familiar with the UI but if I'm correct that it's running on linux, have a look in /etc/ssh/sshd_config and look for PubkeyAuthentication. It should default to Yes

SnoppyFloppy

Explorer

corin.corvus

Dabbler
I don't use Qnap so I'm not familiar with the UI but if I'm correct that it's running on linux, have a look in /etc/ssh/sshd_config and look for PubkeyAuthentication. It should default to Yes
Ok after Reset my NAS i can go in SSH again.

sshd_config i see this:
#PubkeyAuthentication yes

i need to change that. Thanks for the hint.

And the next Error... "zfs: command not found".
The Qnap Nas cant ZFS.

1668427792421.png

1668427801824.png

How i can backup my Data? :confused:

Last edited:

sretalla