Issues Connecting to TrueNas Samba Shares

panzerscope

Contributor
Hello all,

I am having issues with my QNAP NAS connecting to my TrueNas Scale to see my Samba Shares.

When configuring my QNAP NAS to connect to my TrueNas I get the following

1657650878735.png

All my samba shares are up and running as I have been using them for ages, but I cannot get my QNAP NAS to connect and see them. Is there another service I should be enabling within TrueNas, other than just "SMB" ?

Many thanks,
P

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hello all,

I am having issues with my QNAP NAS connecting to my TrueNas Scale to see my Samba Shares.

When configuring my QNAP NAS to connect to my TrueNas I get the following

View attachment 56811

All my samba shares are up and running as I have been using them for ages, but I cannot get my QNAP NAS to connect and see them. Is there another service I should be enabling within TrueNas, other than just "SMB" ?

Many thanks,
P

Depending on which SMB client libraries QNAP uses, you may need to enable the netbios name server (Network->Global Configuration). If it still doesn't work, run the command midclt call smb.status AUTH_LOG and make sure that you're getting the authentication request on our side and that it's with the expected user.

panzerscope

Contributor
Thanks for your help. So I enabled NetBios Name in my network configuration. However that made no difference, may have to try a reboot.

I also looked up the AUTH_LOG for SMB and I have run a search on the log but cannot see any mention of my NAS connecting. I searched via IP and the Host name of the NAS but does not come up. This is obviously telling as it might be the case the NAS is hitting an issue on its end possibly. I can see my other devices accessing the SMB service just fine.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Thanks for your help. So I enabled NetBios Name in my network configuration. However that made no difference, may have to try a reboot.

I also looked up the AUTH_LOG for SMB and I have run a search on the log but cannot see any mention of my NAS connecting. I searched via IP and the Host name of the NAS but does not come up. This is obviously telling as it might be the case the NAS is hitting an issue on its end possibly. I can see my other devices accessing the SMB service just fine.

Yeah, sounds like networking issue. You can start by running simple checks like `ping` from one to the other (on both sides).

If ping gets through, then you can try running tcpdump on TrueNAS side and gather pcap tcpdump -w <local path on NAS> -i <your interface name> host <IP of QNAP>. Once it fails you can hit ^c in shell of TrueNAS and the copy the file over to a computer that has wireshark installed and look through it. Wireshark has some pretty good protocol dissectors that can help figure out what's going on.