SOLVED Replication (Pull) Core-to-Scale Connection Refused

emsicz

Explorer
I'm probably doing something wrong here, but can't figure it out.

• Remote box is running TrueNAS Core 13.0-U3.1
  • Remote box is sitting on a connection with public IP and behind a double NAT.
  • Remote internet-facing router has port-forward set up from outside port 888 to inside port 888 directed at IP of internal router.
  • Remote internal router has port-forward set up from outside port 888 to inside port 22 directed at IP of TrueNAS box.
  • So remote call ssh://public_ip:888 should go to the TrueNAS box.
  • Local box is running TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.4
  • Local box is sitting on a connection with public IP and behind a single NAT.
I want to set up local box to pull data from remote box using replication task. I have done the following:
  • On remote box, I have created SSH keypair.
  • On local box, I have created SSH keypair and imported the public/private key into it.
  • On local box, I try to create SSH connection using the abovementioned SSH keypair. Here is where I am facing trouble.
    • The UI expects me to input the "TrueNAS URL", not an SSH target and requires either http or https. My remote box does not have internet-facing TrueNAS UI. So if I try to input http://public_ip:888, I get "Connection refused" error message.
I do not have control over the remote network architecture. I would like to avoid convincing the remote party to create or join VPNs, I would just like to set up the replication task and forward appropriate ports. Is this doable?

emsicz

Explorer
Just to clarify - I'm asking if there is a bug in the UI or if I'm missing something. This is definitely not the first time this has been asked and I'm not looking to be told to connect the box to the internet. I'm quite confident that there is a way to do this with port forwarding, but somehow I'm missing it.

Besides telling the asker they are dumb, someone reiterates that replication through port forwarding works just fine, but that part is exactly what I can't seem to get to work.

This unanswered thread says OP "enabled SSH access locally," which made me think that there is a setting somewhere in Core that I need to flip in order to enable SSH without UI login? Will test when I get a chance.

And this says there is indeed such setting and it explains how to use it.

Last edited:

emsicz

Explorer
OK - got it. It's not a bug, but... this is what the UI to create SSH connection looks like:
2023-01-19_230245.png

When the setup method drop down is clicked:

2023-01-19_230253.png

On a 4K screen, the option Manual just looks like it's the title of the value being edited. I simply did not see that option mentally. When selected, the UI changes so that it expects just IP address, port, and SSH key which was already imported prior. It works as expected.

Additionally, even though an SSH keypair is created on the TrueNAS Core system, it's public key needs to be assigned to the user that is used for the replication process. When setting up SSH in Services, there is a link in tooltip that was probably meant to tell this to the user:
2023-01-19_231517.png

When this link is clicked, this is where it leads:
2023-01-19_231544.png

Surely you must understand I am not an ape for missing all this, this is annoying UX issue. Is this just me or should I create some low prio usability ticket somewhere?

Last edited: