Prove me wrong!

trivia.jpg

But maybe we can change this? Perhaps... maybe... just maybe if we all BELIEVE together? You must BELIEVE.

Tell your friends. Tell your family. Tell your neighbors. If we can just get enough people to believe TOGETHER, we can change this! We can get @jgreco to "like" someone's post. NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!

we-must-all-believe.jpg

Last edited:

Etorix

Wizard
Serves them right, those yuletide-loving, sickly sweet, nog-sucking cheer mongers! I really don’t like ’em. Mm-mm. No, I don’t.
Grilled? Boiled? Stewed? Fried? Stuffed?
There must be a way to make them palatable…

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Grilled? Boiled? Stewed? Fried? Stuffed?
There must be a way to make them palatable…
Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew?

No, that's po-tay-toes.

I think I figured it out!

Is someone willing to volunteer?

What I need you to do is setup a virtualized instance of TrueNAS, using a cheap "SATA multiport" card, with only 8GiB of available memory, and a RAIDZ1 vdev of 12 used laptop drives that you purchased from a shady seller on eBay. Make sure to mention it's a "gaming" motherboard with a built-in Realtek network card.

Start a new topic about how "TrueNAS sucks and runs really slow", while providing those specs.

Then the next day reply in your own thread that you've read @jgreco's guides about HBAs, virtualization, and ZFS requirements. This inspired you to build yourself a new non-virtualized system using a server motherboard, with 128 GiB ECC RAM, an Intel NIC, an HBA flashed to IT mode, with a pool of mirrored vdevs comprised of WD Red Plus CMR drives.

If that doesn't reward you with a "thumbs up" from @jgreco, then I'm all out of ideas...

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Then the next day reply in your own thread that you've read @jgreco's guides about HBAs, virtualization, and ZFS requirements. This inspired you to build yourself a new non-virtualized system using a server motherboard, with 128 GiB ECC RAM, an Intel NIC, an HBA flashed to IT mode, with a pool of mirrored vdevs comprised of WD Red Plus CMR drives.

Think you've totally misunderstood who I am.

"gaming" motherboard with a built-in Realtek network card.

Laptop (or at your option a gaming PC, liquid cooled using gasoline) with 8 GiB, virtualized with VMware Workstation, with 12 external USB HDD's in striped, onboard Atheros ethernet augmented with two 2.5Gbps Realtek USB dongles in LACP, shared via iSCSI to a virtualized ESXi instance, bonus points if it is also running on the laptop/PC. Running Plex and an entire stack of the video filesharing jail stuff. Pictures and screenshots. I ... might... give that a thumbs up.

Etorix

Wizard

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I can't ever see @Whattteva 's handle without this playing in my head:

There's another one I can't quite place of a sassy girl whipping her arm and snapping her fingers too. Mmm.

Unfortunately, the challenge here was for me to like a POST, not a USERNAME.

SecCon

Contributor
@winnielinnie You do know I did run a virtual FreeNAS in Windows Server Hyper-V 2012R2 a few years ago...? No laptop drives though...

joeschmuck

Old Man
@winnielinnie Your wish has come true? LOL
OH COME ON! o_O I actually had to do a double-take! Took me a minute to realize it was an edited screenshot.

Here I was, about to bring out the champagne with a tear of joy running down my cheek.

Thanks for getting my hopes up...

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
Took me a minute to realize it was an edited screenshot.
Glad it made a few folks happy for a short burst. Nope, not an edited screenshot, but it was a screenshot. I did edit the html. My graphic editing days are behind me.

Davvo

MVP
I too tought about it yesterday, didn't want to end up being the trolling one; ended up being trolled myself. FreeNAS is evil, embrace TrueNAS.

Last edited:

SecCon

Contributor
We all bow to the remarkable event.

Yet, I wish that thread weren't locked. I feel like WTF . No worries, I won't spin that up again, but you guys left me with some questions.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
We all bow to the remarkable event.

Yet, I wish that thread weren't locked. I feel like WTF . No worries, I won't spin that up again, but you guys left me with some questions.

I apologize for the inconvenience. It seemed like a hell of a great point at which to close the thread, because it is all the awesomeness of this forum for the members to take something dumb and turn it into something productive and then go ridiculous with it. Please do feel free to start a new thread if you have any questions that you were not able to ask in-thread, it was not the intention to stifle valid discussion.

SecCon

Contributor
I get it @jgreco. Been there, done that.

Reviewing stuff as I go and will post. The hard part is discerning fact from fiction when people seem knowledgeable and I am learning.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The hard part is discerning fact from fiction when people seem knowledgeable and I am learning.

It isn't entirely useful, but keep your eye on the post counts. Stuff in the Resources section, should be trustworthy, report it if not, mod team WILL do something about it. People with high post counts are typically going to be good sources. We do correct people when incorrect stuff is posted; this is super-important to help the new users not get too far off the rails. It'd be hard to get to 100 posts without knowing at least the basics, and anyone with a thousand posts, I'd be shocked if actual fiction was posted by any of them. You still have to use your head, of course.