Problem (small, I hope) after upgrading from FreeNAS 11.3-U5 to TrueNAS

phospholipid

Dabbler
Hey there. Thanks for reading.

We have an older OWC Jupiter Callisto and Kore unit with 192TiB and two pools. After many years of working perfectly running FreeNAS 11.1, we ran into some issues with how replication was handled (to another NAS entirely) and we took the advice to walk the upgrade path.

I went home and logged into an on-site computer remotely. From there, using the NAS GUI, I upgraded from 11.1 to 11.2 and it went beautifully. I upgraded to 11.3-U5, and that also went beautifully. I issued the upgrade to TrueNAS 12. The update scren gave me the option to follow this sequence: "11.3-U5->12.0-U8.1, using https://download.freenas.org/12.0/STABLE/U8.1/TrueNAS-12.0-U8.1-manual-update.tar" I backed up the config file and issued the upgrade. I figured it might take a while so I went to sleep. When I came down in the morning, I saw the TrueNAS GUI at the login window. Beautiful!

Except... not quite.

When I attempted to login, the browser GUI started spinning and spinning. I left it alone and tried to connect to the pools, and the pools were not responsive. I checked the 10G switch, and I could see rx/tx numbers at the fiber line to the NAS. So... something is happening. I can successfully ping the NAS, so that's good. So I closed the GUI window and attempted to reload it. Now I get no GUI at all—no login screen. The browser tries to connect and never does, and SMB won't connect at all. I can also *see* the machine in the network list in my OS. Another bit of information: there were no jails configured.

I stepped away for a couple hours. Same result.

I am assuming my next step is to actually go to the office and connect the NAS to peripherals and see what I can get. I'm not super alarmed yet. I suspect that I'll be able to get it running at some point with some modest changes, and perhaps all it needs is a physical reboot.

I'm curious if anybody has any insights for what I might expect or what I might run into when I go.

phospholipid

Dabbler
I'm gonna head in tomorrow, hook up a display, and see what I get. What I'm gathering is I should be able to boot it up in the last functional OS. Thoughts and prayers for me.

joeschmuck

Old Man
DO NOT UPGRADE YOU ZFS VERSION FEATURE FLAGS !!! You will not be able to roll back to your original version if you do this. Update the feature flags 3 months after getting the system running if you want, but there is no rush.

Did you backup your configuration file before starting?

What is your boot device, if it's a USB Flash Drive, STOP! TrueNAS 13 will chew up a flash drive and spit it out dead, especially if your dataset is on the boot drive. You should be using a SSD as a boot device, and it can be a USB SSD, however if you can steer clear of USB booting, you will have a faster response time for upgrade installation times.

phospholipid

Dabbler
DO NOT UPGRADE YOU ZFS VERSION FEATURE FLAGS !!! You will not be able to roll back to your original version if you do this. Update the feature flags 3 months after getting the system running if you want, but there is no rush.

Did you backup your configuration file before starting?

What is your boot device, if it's a USB Flash Drive, STOP! TrueNAS 13 will chew up a flash drive and spit it out dead, especially if your dataset is on the boot drive. You should be using a SSD as a boot device, and it can be a USB SSD, however if you can steer clear of USB booting, you will have a faster response time for upgrade installation times.
Hey there!

I did backup the config file at every step: at 11.1, at 11.2, and again at 11.3. So that's covered.

The upgrades were all handled onboard via the GUI update utility so there was no external boot device. The impression I had was basically what you said: stay the heck away from USB boot drives.

phospholipid

Dabbler
@joeschmuck ::
For some reason, I re-started the machine a couple times. On the second restart, all of the services came online, I was able to connect via the web GUI, and I had a brand new TreuNAS login screen.

I'm going to have a glass of every liquor I have.

And I'll not be upgrading the feature pools for a while. My next steps are to install TrueNAS on the other unit, which will include far fewer heart attacks. Thanks for your support.

joeschmuck

Old Man