Storage - disks and Reporting - disk empty after upgrade from freenas 11.3-U5 to truenas 12.0-U5.1

mihamuc

Cadet
Hi,

after upgrading my two test installations (VMs on ESX 6.5) of FreeNAS 11.3-U5 to TrueNAS 12.0-U5.1 the pools and everthing seems to work, except that in both installation no disks show up in Storage - disks, and not reporting - disk.

Disks are there, a pool is working in both installations. I would need to see them at least in the reporting area.
I already searched, but the only thing i found was the recommendation to clear the disks using "gpart destroy -F ..." - but hey there is a runnning pool on them, i can not do that!
I can see the disks in GUI Stoarge - pools - status. I can see them in the shell using "camcontrol devlist".

Any ideas?

Best regards

Michael

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Hi,

after upgrading my two test installations (VMs on ESX 6.5) of FreeNAS 11.3-U5 to TrueNAS 12.0-U5.1 the pools and everthing seems to work, except that in both installation no disks show up in Storage - disks, and not reporting - disk.

Disks are there, a pool is working in both installations. I would need to see them at least in the reporting area.
I already searched, but the only thing i found was the recommendation to clear the disks using "gpart destroy -F ..." - but hey there is a runnning pool on them, i can not do that!
I can see the disks in GUI Stoarge - pools - status. I can see them in the shell using "camcontrol devlist".

Any ideas?

Best regards

Michael
Tell us about your setup, per the forum rules above: hardware setup and so on.

Are you passing an HBA or SATA controller through to the FreeNAS VMs?

mihamuc

Cadet
Hi,

as told above, those are VMs on ESX 6.5. Only virtual disks, no controller passthrough (this will happen ohne the prod system, this is only the test system).

8x CPU, 8GB RAM, 16GB virtual system disk, 4x 8GB virtual disks (2 mirror vdevs for the pool). LSI Logic Parallel virtual controller.
1x E1000 virtual NIC for Management, 2x VMXNET3 NICs for Data.
Guest OS Type in ESX: FreeBSD (64 Bit), VM Version 13

mihamuc

Cadet
More Information. Disks added after upgrade to 12.0-U5.1 are shown and can be used in GUI.
If i remove 2 disks that were added before upgrading to 12.0-U5.1 from pool, they are not shown and cannot be added/used in the GUI anymore.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Only virtual disks, no controller passthrough
Ah! That explains it! All bets are off with virtual disks; the FreeNAS VM doesn't have direct access to an actual disk, so all sorts of oddness can ensue -- so it's really no surprise if they don't show up in the UI.

I've had much success with virtualized FreeNAS servers when passing them the HBA/SATA controller. so chances are that you will, too. You just have to be very careful about dotting the 'i's and crossing the 't's.:wink:

mihamuc

Cadet
12.0-U6 fixed it, now everthing shows up and works as expected. Problem was on the release notes bug fix list.