SOLVED Problem setting up email using a domain from 123-reg.co.uk

Hazimil

Contributor
Hi All

I'm trying to setup FreeNAS to use a new email account/domain from 123-reg.co.uk.

I have setup the email as follows:

Outgoing mail server: smtp.123-reg.co.uk
Port to connect to: 465
TLS/SSL: SSL
Use SMTP Authentication: ticked
Username & password: are correct

However, when I try to send a test email, I get the following message on the screen:

Code:
Your test email could not be sent: Connection unexpectedly closed: The read operation timed out

Also, the console has the following:

Code:
Jun 29 21:27:41 freenas uwsgi: [common.system:293] Failed to send email: Connection unexpectedly closed: The read operation timed out
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/smtplib.py", line 386, in getreply
	line = self.file.readline(_MAXLINE + 1)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/socket.py", line 586, in readinto
	return self._sock.recv_into(b)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/ssl.py", line 1002, in recv_into
	return self.read(nbytes, buffer)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/ssl.py", line 865, in read
	return self._sslobj.read(len, buffer)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/ssl.py", line 625, in read
	v = self._sslobj.read(len, buffer)
socket.timeout: The read operation timed out

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./freenasUI/common/system.py", line 284, in send_mail
	server.sendmail(em.em_fromemail, to, msg.as_string())
  File "/usr/local/lib/p
Jun 29 21:27:41 freenas uwsgi: ython3.6/smtplib.py", line 860, in sendmail
	(code, resp) = self.mail(from_addr, esmtp_opts)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/smtplib.py", line 534, in mail
	return self.getreply()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/smtplib.py", line 390, in getreply
	+ str(e))
smtplib.SMTPServerDisconnected: Connection unexpectedly closed: The read operation timed out

Yet if I use gmail it works no problems. Now the issue could be with my provider (123-reg), but I'm after pointers as to the above messages so I can try to track down the issue.

Thanks.
Jonathan

joeschmuck

Old Man
You could have a firewall issue or something rejecting it on your email server. Check the email account and see if there are any test messages in the "Sent" folder. Also, do you have the gateway setup properly?

EDIT: Also try a different email account such as gmail or similar to see if that works.

Hazimil

Contributor
You could have a firewall issue or something rejecting it on your email server. Check the email account and see if there are any test messages in the "Sent" folder. Also, do you have the gateway setup properly?

EDIT: Also try a different email account such as gmail or similar to see if that works.
Hi

No firewalls that I'm aware of and the gateway is just the default when installed. Works fine with gmail, so think its related to the other domain (hosted by 123-reg), was just hoping that perhaps the logs I provide would give someone an "ah haa" moment and point me in the right direction :)

Jonathan

Hazimil

Contributor
I had a "ah haa" moment and fixed it :)

I had left the from email: as "root@freenas.local", when I change this to the email of the account I want to use, it worked. Weird that leaving it as "root@freenas.local" was fine for gmail though.

Yours
Jonathan

lucas45

Cadet
Hello try to configure it like I just did at home. But first of all, you must know that to be able to use freenas you will have to dedicate a hard disk that we should install from Virtual box by adding a sata controller and then adding a disk which gives us 2 available hard disks. My two volumes have been configured as raid1, raid 1 will allow to backup simultaneously the data of disc 1 and disc 2, it will be a mirror backup. Then, to launch the freenas configuration window, simply type the IP of the freenas server in a browser. When you open it, there is an alert asking you to change the administrator password. Configuring the administrator account: In my account, you can change the name and password. You may see more articles on https://www.durindel.fr/tutoriel-configuration-de-freenas. In the parameter you have to put the http protocol for access from the local network otherwise in https to access the nas from a web browser outside our local network. you have to create user accounts authorized to access the NAS, try to use other mail than gmail this time, and finally concerning the FTP configuration to access the NAS outside the local network. In my case I did not have access to the advanced ftp configuration mode to solve this problem: In systems/advanced/check off the default advanced fields. Then configure the ports with masking address the public IP of the router or box do not forget to put the IP of the nas in additional parameter Then we can activate the ftp service. I think it might help you. I got these instructions from a friend who had just bought a lap desk guide, and who had confirmed this to me.