[Plex] Transcoding 4K with strange LAG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacopx

Patron
Buonasera everyones! :)

I have changed a one of my Smart TV with a NEW Bravia 4K HDR, and, of course, I have tried to store a 4K from a remote server. This file have an high bitrate ~45 mbps. The connection in both place server and tv aren't bottleneck (Gigabit Optical Fiber). The server have a strong CPU (Intel Xeon E5-2670).

When I tried to stream I can see the video without problem for around 20s after that there's a fast lag and the message "Your server isn't power enough bla bla bla..." appears. What I want is to find the real bottleneck:

1. CPU: It don't think is the problem, I have started a concurrent trasconding without problem and the graph show me only 70% of usage...
2. File Source: I will try with other file as soon as I get it!
3. RAM: I think is the most likely, I have see a little SWAP (look at the photo) and when I try so look at the Plex logs I see a lot of
Code:
VERBOSE - [TranscodeOutputStream] Waiting 100ms for more data...
but it strange that, if there isn't enough RAM, the second concurrent stream work well...
4. Plex: Is the last resource...

P.s I can't try this on my LAN because the server and the TV are really far...

Someone can help me to understand? :)

Attachments

• generate.png
    generate.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 516
  • generate-2.png
    generate-2.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 498
  • generate-3.png
    generate-3.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 482
  • generate-4.png
    generate-4.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 498
  • generate-5.png
    generate-5.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 510

scrappy

Patron
Is your Plex client the new TV? If so, is it capable of direct playback without transcoding? If I understand it correctly, transcoding a 4k stream is like telling Plex to transcode 4 concurrent 1080p streams which theoretically, your E5-2670 should handle just fine. In practice, however, it may not be able to keep up for various reasons.

You might want to search the Plex forums for more answers. I know this is a common issue with 4k video transcoding.

Jacopx

Patron
Is your Plex client the new TV? If so, is it capable of direct playback without transcoding? If I understand it correctly, transcoding a 4k stream is like telling Plex to transcode 4 concurrent 1080p streams which theoretically, your E5-2670 should handle just fine. In practice, however, it may not be able to keep up for various reasons.

You might want to search the Plex forums for more answers. I know this is a common issue with 4k video transcoding.

4K, for now, as not a real common format... Is just for crazy. I will try to ask to Plex Forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.