Probable bug of plex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bhoot

Patron
The TV didnt have plex clients but showed the plex media server under connected as plexmediaserver_1(probably through DLNA). The interface also differed frommother clients I have seen. It was mire of a folder based ui.
Any idea about the messages I recieved? Seems to be a lot of things/ lines with plex.

okgunguy

Explorer
Logs and error messages are above my pay grade. But if I had to guess, I'd say that it's probably because it finally saw a client (your buddy's PS4) and it either turned off, or the NAS is not seeing it anymore. Just a guess.
I never see logs like that because my RPi (Rasplex/Client) never turns off.

krazydave

Cadet
FWIW, I've been getting those same error messages several times a day on my FreeNAS since the last update as well.
So far, this thread is the only result that Google provided when searching for that error message.
I only use Plex from my phone, casting to a Chromecast.
Doesn't seem to be affecting anything though as far as I can tell. At least my media library does seem to be updating normally.
Don't know about DLNA though as I don't use it...

jacob42

Cadet
I'm having the same/similar problem.
Running Plex Media Server 1.3.0.3059 (latest) in it's own Jail (not the plugin system)
Freenas 9.2.1.5 (yes I know it's old, no my system isn't compatible with 9.3, no I can't afford annoying better, yes I'm constantly scoping replacements)
Saw the error message below repeated many times in my freenas logs:
Code:
Dec  5 20:35:14 freenas kernel: pid 56396 (Plex Media Scanner), uid 972: exited on signal 11

Symptoms.
I just re-added a movie that I ripped a few weeks ago, so metadata already exists in the DB. Movie is shown as new inside plex web interface when accessing via IP directly on local network.
I just added a couple tv shows, metadata does not exist for the episode inside the DB. Also moved some TV shows between pools. New TV shows are not appearing, and TV shows I moved are not appearing (show as unavailable).

As the above is all within the Plex Media Server application, the problem is not related to the player.
I suspect the TV scraper that detects shows is not finding the episodes, perhaps blocked or a crashed process.
When I hit refresh in the Plex Media Server web interface, it instantly says Metadata may still be downloading, so it appears to crash and then show the default message.

Actions.
Restarted the server (freenas host), working fine now. Will report in if this happens again. Hope this helps someone out there.

Bhoot

Patron
Rasplex on a pi3 has been, by far, the best Plex experience for me over the years. I have tried many different iterations of media centers and this configuration has been solid and stable.
I took your advice went to a RPi3 and I couldn't be happier. Sorry I forgot to thank you back then. The rasplex is amazing, faster than DLNA and honestly makes my TV look young (LoL).
DTS-HD and TrueHD pass through. Rpi doesn't support them. Plex will transcode to DTS and AC3 respectively. Not a big deal, just a personal choice. With my hearing failing rapidly I need all the help I can get in the audio department so I prefer the high def streams for better clarity.
Well TBH I am running a 7.1 in one of my rooms. The last few movies I muxed were DTSMA with 1080p HEVC. I don't remember exactly but I am "pretty" sure all 7 speakers lighted up when required. I have changed a lot of settings on the RasPlex to suit my needs so again can't be accurate about how to tweak it, but it works. Also managed to stream HEVC from server to rasplex without stutter over a distance of atleast 15m cat5 wire. :D

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I don't remember exactly but I am "pretty" sure all 7 speakers lighted up when required.
That could be a function of your receiver. If it's fairly new it should display what audio codec it's outputting.

Bhoot

Patron
That could be a function of your receiver. If it's fairly new it should display what audio codec it's outputting.
I am away from home. I will get back and check. It's an Onkyo727 (about 3-4 years since release) and I "generally" keep it in Pro Logic II so you could be right. I don't know if PLII is limited to 5.1 or even supports 7.1. Should I check it in DIRECT mode or Pure Audio mode for you?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Direct mode may, and Pure Audio mode won't display what the codec is (at least it doesn't on my Onkyo 804). PLII will simulate surround based on how many speakers you have set up. Not sure if your receiver does or not but mine will switch automatically to whatever the input source audio is and output it accordingly.

Bhoot

Patron
Direct mode may, and Pure Audio mode won't display what the codec is (at least it doesn't on my Onkyo 804). PLII will simulate surround based on how many speakers you have set up. Not sure if your receiver does or not but mine will switch automatically to whatever the input source audio is and output it accordingly.
I'll definitely keep this in mind and get back with the results of various modes. Time to search for a Dolby HD or DTSMA video clip :D. Always love playing these on the HTS. :)

Bhoot

Patron
Sorry for the delay @Jailer but I am back with the results. I used the demo disk given to stores for the result so that I have a neutral (and probably the best) source. I tried lossless 7.1 tracks (from both DTS and Dolby) and Direct mode did get me sound from all the seven speakers. I'll try to find a few more videos and update you if I find any differences. On searching I did find a lot of lossless HD content here. It's an external site but I love testing stuff with these videos/audios than testing blurays of different films. These are discrete and optimized to sound awesome. Hope I could help :)

//EDIT:
The display does show PCM regardless of the movie mode I select. Depending on different modes I am able to see DTS or DD on the display but the PCM stays regardless of it being a 5.1 or a 7.1 track.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.