How to set Plex to transcode everything into .avi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyronebiggums

Dabbler
Hello all,

I just got my FreeNAS box running yesterday with Plex. I started dumping some videos on it in various formats. Right now, I'm using a Vizio TV with DLNA to view videos. The only file format that it likes is AVI, some MP4 work but they a lot of times have codec errors. Is there a way to force all output on the Plex server to be an AVI so my TV can view it or do I need to bite the bullet and buy a Roku?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Plex doesn't transcode files from one to the other. It takes the original file and makes a datastream to a plex client.

Personally, I'd buy a roku. I've got an older and newer one, and the older one (since it has a slower CPU) has some nasty lag in the GUI of plex. I'd recommend you guy the latest and greatest models (and the brand new 4k compatible one that is about to hit the market really soon).

I've got a Roku 2 XS (top of the line second gen) and it's slow now. I'm disappointed and going to replace it very soon. :/

tyronebiggums

Dabbler
I bit the bullet and picked up a Roku 2 on sale. Well worth the money. I was sick of dealing with the DLNA and crappy Hulu app on it that kept buffering.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Just as an update.. I was about to buy a new Roku earlier, but I did some googling. Turns out the second gen Rokus (and the Roku 2 XS in particular) has problems with the "new" Plex app that came out about a month ago. So I installed the "Plex Classic" app and it's great!

Personally, I'm not a fan of the new app's GUI, so I'm thrilled that I have a working Plex app AND the old GUI.

Status
Not open for further replies.