BUILD NEW - First FreeNAS, Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Allen

Explorer
I have a very similar build that I have been slowly acquiring the parts for for some time, looks good!

I did get a ADATA Premier SP600 32GB 2.5 Inch SATA III Best Upgrade Solution Solid State Drive (ASP600S3-32GM-C) for my boot drive.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009SKB5HA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_OJdwLsOiVCDyR

You had mentioned security and building a router, I would HIGHLY recommend making a pfSense Router. It's also based on FreeBSD. It's a enterprise grade open source software. You can take just about any compunter from the last 5 years or so, through in a dual intel gig NIC and off you go!

www.pfsense.org

It's my next build as soon as I get my new FreeNAS box into production!

ALSO, don't forget to "Burn-In" your hardware (memory, CPU, & HDDs). There are several good threads on that here too!

SCS

Dabbler
Well, I read that for boot, SSD are much better then USB sticks... And well... looking for a brand, size and price now

SSD would be faster and more reliable because of the use of better flash components over a flash drive. I just wanted you to be aware that for the most part the rest of the drive will pretty much be wasted.

I plan to wait for NE to have a 2 x 120GB for about $100 deal and I'll end up setting those up for my boot as well as my System Dataset and retire the two 32 GB flash drive I have.

NicolasVin100

Dabbler
SSD would be faster and more reliable because of the use of better flash components over a flash drive. I just wanted you to be aware that for the most part the rest of the drive will pretty much be wasted.

I plan to wait for NE to have a 2 x 120GB for about $100 deal and I'll end up setting those up for my boot as well as my System Dataset and retire the two 32 GB flash drive I have.
NE?

NicolasVin100

Dabbler
I have a very similar build that I have been slowly acquiring the parts for for some time, looks good!

I did get a ADATA Premier SP600 32GB 2.5 Inch SATA III Best Upgrade Solution Solid State Drive (ASP600S3-32GM-C) for my boot drive.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009SKB5HA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_OJdwLsOiVCDyR

You had mentioned security and building a router, I would HIGHLY recommend making a pfSense Router. It's also based on FreeBSD. It's a enterprise grade open source software. You can take just about any compunter from the last 5 years or so, through in a dual intel gig NIC and off you go!

www.pfsense.org

It's my next build as soon as I get my new FreeNAS box into production!

ALSO, don't forget to "Burn-In" your hardware (memory, CPU, & HDDs). There are several good threads on that here too!

Thanks for your input! I'm in the same process... I'll slowly acquire everything needed for my server... Which will let me plenty of time to research pfsense :)

But 2 questions! Is Adata good? I was looking up brands and Samsung appeared to be the top, followed by SanDisk... But nothing on Adata!

And what is the purpose of burn in?

Last but not least, keep me updated on your builds, really curious about how they will turn out! :)

Stux

MVP
Thanks for your input! I'm in the same process... I'll slowly acquire everything needed for my server... Which will let me plenty of time to research pfsense :)

But 2 questions! Is Adata good? I was looking up brands and Samsung appeared to be the top, followed by SanDisk... But nothing on Adata!

And what is the purpose of burn in?

Last but not least, keep me updated on your builds, really curious about how they will turn out! :)

Hard drives fail early or come defective. The HD burn in process is to detect defective HDs before you put data on them.

Memory testing is to detect faulty ram before you rely on it.

CPU testing is to detect faulty CPUs, but primarily you're testing your thermal and cooling solutions.

SCS

Dabbler
Status
Not open for further replies.