BUILD First build advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

desmopilot

Dabbler
Hi all, looking for some help building my first FreeNas build. Have the core components selected, just need some help ironing out some details. Build will be a home file server streaming to one Kodi device, OS X Time Machine backup for one Computer and and a SABnzbd & Sickbeard/couchpotato rig.

CPU: Intel Core i3 4170. I know the 43xx is suggested a lot more around here, but I don't imagine the extra cache is worth a $60 price premium over the 41xx.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

Motherboard: Supermicro MBD-X10SL7-F-O. Seems to be a great choice, love the built-in features.

RAM: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) CT2KIT102472BD160B. Feel 16GB should be enough for my build.

PSU: Have a ~6 month old Seasonic G-550W, should be a great fit for this build.

UPS: Aware this is recommended, but I haven't really looked into one. Any suggestions here would be great.

Case: Thinking a Fractal R4 or R5. Whichever I can find cheaper.

Boot Device: Read that 2x USB drives does the job. Is any drive ok or are there specific models I should be looking out for?

HDDs: I already have 2x 4TB HGST NAS drives from a current storage build. Will add 2 more.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Last edited:

religiouslyconfused

Contributor
Hi all, looking for some help building my first FreeNas build. Have the core components selected, just need some help ironing out some details. Build will be a home file server streaming to one Kodi device, OS X Time Machine backup for one Computer and and a SABnzbd & Sickbeard/couchpotato rig.

CPU: Intel Core i3 4170. I know the 43xx is suggested a lot more around here, but I don't imagine the extra cache is worth a $60 price premium over the 41xx.

Motherboard: Supermicro MBD-X10SL7-F-O. Seems to be a great choice, love the built-in features.

RAM: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) CT2KIT102472BD160B. Feel 16GB should be enough for my build.

PSU: Have a ~6 month old Seasonic G-550W, should be a great fit for this build.

UPS: Aware this is recommended, but I haven't really looked into one. Any suggestions here would be great.

Case: Thinking a Fractal R4 or R5. Whichever I can find cheaper.

Boot Device: Read that 2x USB drives does the job. Is any drive ok or are there specific models I should be looking out for?

HDDs: I already have 2x 4TB HGST NAS drives from a current storage build. Due to price, don't imagine I'll be picking up anymore of them. Was looking to pick up 4x 2TB WD Reds. Would I be risking anything by running mixed capacity and brand drives?

Any and all help is appreciated!

The disadvantage of going with mixed capacities is that you are limited to the capacity of the smaller drives. It will work fine, just that you can only run at 2TB each. You can however, upgrade as time goes on to bigger drives with the same size or bigger and once all are gradually upgraded, you can get the full capacity of the drive.

DiViDeR

Dabbler
I've just fitted the Supermicro MBD-X10SL7-F-O into a Fractal R4 and struggled to get the EVGA Supernova G2 650W 24pin ATX connector (590mm) to route from the bottom of the case, through the cable holes and up behind the motherboard backplate to the connector right at the top of the case. The Seasonic G-550W review states the 24pin cable is 530mm so it may be a struggle depending on where the lead exits the PSU. Will 4x 2TB WD Reds be that much cheaper than 2x 4TB HGST NAS drives? I bought the same RAM, but went for 32Gb (4x8Gb). I detailed the steps I took to 'update' the motherboard BIOS etc here https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/x10sl7-f-rev-1-02-preparation.42560/

Still testing 2x4Tb HGST drive using badblocks, so I'm very much at the beginning of the setup and am a Freenas noob! Hope some of this helps ;)

desmopilot

Dabbler
Thanks for the suggestions! Good point about the 4x 2TB Reds being much cheaper than 2x 4TB HGST drives (Revised the build with two more 4TB HGST Drives). I have a couple more questions, is it ok to have an odd number of HDDs? Or is it best to have an even amout? Lastly, would another 16GB RAM Kit (for a total fo 32GB) be a wise investment? Or would it be overkill at that point? Again, thanks for all the suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.