BUILD New Build - recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

geekmiki

Dabbler
Hi,

I'm new to FreeNAS and I am planning my first build. Until now my NAS has been built with Ubuntu server and a software RAID5. It's time to upgrade so here's the hardware I'm planning to get:

-MoBo: Supermicro X10SLH-F
-CPU: Intel Core i3 4350
-RAM: Crucial 2x8GB ECC 1600Mhz CT2KIT102472BD160B (the one recommended here)
-HDD: 6x4TB WD Red (WD40EFRX) in RAIDZ2
-PSU: Corsair RM550
-Chassis: Fractal Design Arc Mini R2

My questions:
-I won't be using any transcoding functions (like Plex), so is an i3 enough or should I look into a Xeon?
-16GB RAM is enough for RAIDZ2 or should I consider 32?
-Any other comments regarding the hardware?

Thank you in advance for your help!

GrumpyBear

Contributor
The 4350 will not break a sweat for your uses unless you have plans to run Jails
16GB should be sufficient. You can always add more later
You might want to look at a Seasonic G550 instead of the Corsair as others here are of the opinion that they are better built and more reliable (and the G550 is $15 less expensive at NewEgg than the Corsair).
The ARC mini is a nice case for this use as long as you are not planning on adding more disks. The fans on this case are 3-pin and not PWM so you will likely want to either run them at 5V or 7V using the front panel switch and not have the ability to monitor them or replace the fans with PWM (4-pin) fans.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yeah, the G-550 is quite a bit better than a Corsair RM.

geekmiki

Dabbler
The 4350 will not break a sweat for your uses unless you have plans to run Jails
I do plan to run jails... Mostly simple things like lftp and/or irssi and also a couple of plugins like Couchpotato, Sickbeard, Sabnzbd, rTorrent/ruTorrent.
Is that enough to consider an upgrade to a Xeon?

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
I use a 4360 and I have one jail for MiniDLNA. It's an impressive CPU because I just can't load it to more than 20-25% even with multiple copies and streams at the same time. I think the 4350 should be enough but wait for a confirmation from a more experienced member ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.