BUILD New FreeNAS Build for PLEX

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmcdonald74

Cadet
I'm wanting to build a FreeNAS box to run PLEX on for my HTPC, and Tablets around the house. Below is the configuration I'm looking to put together. I already have the Power Supply and one of the hard drives. Let me know if I'm missing something. I think I have all my bases covered.

Motherboard – ASRock E3C226D2I - $225
CPU – Intel Core i3-4150 Dual-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1150 - $99
Memory – 16GB (2x8GB) ECC Crucial CT2KIT102472BD160B - $155
Case – Lian Li PC-Q25B - $90
Power Supply – Corsair CX430 430W - $36
Hard Drives – 4 x Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 3TB 7200RPM (RAIDZ2) - $102ea
Boot Drive - 8GB USB SanDisk Cruzer Fit - $8

Last edited:

enemy85

Guru
I think you are ok.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
No point in using 7200RPM drives. I'd recommend you buy additional 5400RPM drives, even if you are left with an "orphan" (shouldn't be a problem) - it'll simplify your cooling setup. I'd also consider moving to RAIDZ2, as RAIDZ1 might not be enough (this means four drives instead of three, so it's a choice you'll have to make).

For transcoding, a Xeon E3 is a safer choice, as the i3 might choke on heavy workloads.

I'd also avoid Kingston RAM like the plague, given their recent behavior. If possible, get something else, ideally from ASRock's compatibility list.

enemy85

Guru
I have an i3 4130 and unless you plan to have more that 2 BR transcoding at the same time, i think the cpu is ok, but depends on the use u want to make

bmcdonald74

Cadet
No point in using 7200RPM drives. I'd recommend you buy additional 5400RPM drives, even if you are left with an "orphan" (shouldn't be a problem) - it'll simplify your cooling setup. I'd also consider moving to RAIDZ2, as RAIDZ1 might not be enough (this means four drives instead of three, so it's a choice you'll have to make).

For transcoding, a Xeon E3 is a safer choice, as the i3 might choke on heavy workloads.

I'd also avoid Kingston RAM like the plague, given their recent behavior. If possible, get something else, ideally from ASRock's compatibility list.

Cost is a concern with my build, and as it stand right now it under $900 where I would like to keep it. The main reason I'm using the 7200RPM drives is that I already have one of them.

I thought the main difference between RAIDZ1 and RAIDZ2 was additional fault tolerance. So why wouldn't RAIDZ not be enough? Are there performance gains I'm not aware of?

At most I would have two tablets connecting to the server at one time, most of the time it would just be one. So I think the i3 should be able to cover the work load.

I'll replace the Kingston with Crucial. I found some that are on the ASRock list.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I thought the main difference between RAIDZ1 and RAIDZ2 was additional fault tolerance. So why wouldn't RAIDZ not be enough? Are there performance gains I'm not aware of?

Read the link in my sig about RAIDZ1/RAID5 being "dead". Professional server admins have known about this for more than 1/2 a decade...

nobe

Cadet
the core i3 4150 is a haswell refresh processor, you might have to update the motherboard bios for you system to work.
here is the Asrock information for this motherboard.

if cost is a concern for you, the case fractal design node 304 is quite popular in this forum and much cheaper (in my country at least).

bmcdonald74

Cadet
I'll get another drive so I can go with RAIDZ2 then.

I already got the Lian Li PC-Q25B for $90 shipped from NewEgg. They had it on sale, so that saved me about $40. I looked at the Fractal Design one as well.

Thanks for everyone's help. Now I just need to get the money to order the rest of the parts, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.