Need to update qBitTorrent to 4.5.2

I made the change but pkg upgrade && pkg update doesn't find a new version.
When a port is available, it doesn't mean that the package maintainer has made the binary pkg available yet. There can be a few days or even a week of delay.

From post #2:
The current FreeBSD port has been updated to 4.5.2. The package should be available soon.

One alternative is to use the Ports Collection, but it's honestly not worth it when it comes to something like this. Using the Ports Collection requires compiling (from source) every time there's a new version. You'll also need to dedicate 1 GB+ of space just to fetch all the files (Makefiles, patches, etc) for the entire collection.

While it's possible to fetch just a single port via "svn", it can get a bit frustrating, since many times one application will require the presence of other applications or libraries. At this point, you might as well just cough up a GB of space to house the entire Ports Collection locally.

It gets too much into the weeds, all just to have the latest version of a single program? (When you can instead wait for a few days instead.)

Moral of the story: Best bet is to wait a few days or so for the binary pkg to be available.

Last edited:

Wolfeman0101

Patron
When a port is available, it doesn't mean that the package maintainer has made the binary pkg available yet. There can be a few days or even a week of delay.

From post #2:

One alternative is to use the Ports Collection, but it's honestly not worth it when it comes to something like this. Using the Ports Collection requires compiling (from source) every time there's a new version. You'll also need to dedicate 1 GB+ of data just to fetch all the files (Makefiles, patches, etc.) While it's possible to fetch just a single port via "svn", it can get a bit frustrating, since many times one application will require the presence of other applications or libraries.

Moral of the story: Best bet is to wait a few days or so for the binary pkg to be available.
Ah ok thanks for the information.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
@Wolfeman0101 You can check with the link to freshports.org I posted above for the availability of the package. The package availability is not so much in the hands of the ports maintainer but a question of when the package build cluster picks up the changes.

Freshports is the way I recommend to check for availability of any software specifically for FreeBSD.

Heavy

Explorer

The vulnerability only affects Windows machines. Still sucks trackers are closing down support for these clients (If that is true, I haven't had any issues with any of my trackers so far).

Also if it is true, it sucks for SCALE users, since @truecharts froze updates for the month of March for their breaking changes update.

Rolling back might be an option, I have a seedbox running 4.39 using TL with no issues so far.

Wolfeman0101

Patron

The vulnerability only affects Windows machines. Still sucks trackers are closing down support for these clients (If that is true, I haven't had any issues with any of my trackers so far).

Also if it is true, it sucks for SCALE users, since @truecharts froze updates for the month of March for their breaking changes update.

Rolling back might be an option, I have a seedbox running 4.39 using TL with no issues so far.
I think it's because they can't tell what OS you are running just the version of qBittorrent.

truecharts

Guru

If that closing down is correct, we're open to do emergency patching even during the code freeze.
It's not our intend to have people stuck with barely functional applications...

So no news bout this yet!!
Nope.

Even the "latest" branch might take over a week for a port to be packaged up and made available in the binary pkg repository.

I remember there was a serious bug in yt-dlp (the bug was so bad that the application simply did not work anymore due to YouTube's recent changes.) It was swiftly fixed in version 2023-02-17, yet it took over a week for the binary pkg to be available. :oops:

EDIT: If you reaaaaaaaaally want it right now, you can build your own binary pkg using the Ports Collection. I just don't think it's worth it, since soon after you do this, it'll be available in the "latest" repository, anyways.

Last edited:

HitmanThe47

Dabbler
Nope.

Even the "latest" branch might take over a week for a port to be packaged up and made available in the binary pkg repository.

I remember there was a serious bug in yt-dlp (the bug was so bad that the application simply did not work anymore due to YouTube's recent changes.) It was swiftly fixed in version 2023-02-17, yet it took over a week for the binary pkg to be available. :oops:

EDIT: If you reaaaaaaaaally want it right now, you can build your own binary pkg using the Ports Collection. I just don't think it's worth it, since soon after you do this, it'll be available in the "latest" repository, anyways.
Just got another tracker blocking this version...
Thinking if downgradind is a easy option...

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Clone the ports tree with git, follow the instructions on Freshports to build the current version yourself.

Code:
cd /usr/ports/net-p2p/qbittorrent/ && make install clean

Davvo

MVP

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Just got another tracker blocking this version...
Thinking if downgradind is a easy option...
If you installed qbittorrent via the package and not the plugin and have upgraded over a few previous versions there is a way to down grade by installing a cached previous version. If it's the plugin then you'll just have to wait as others have pointed out.

Excaliber

Cadet
the package got updated and the issue is resolved.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
the package got updated and the issue is resolved.
The port was upgraded a few days ago, the package is still not available.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Ok so qbittorrent wasn't updated on the quarterly branch which is disappointing. Switching to latest got me the update in my jail.

I really don't like using the latest branch unless absolutely necessary but if the quarterly branch isn't going to get security updates then so be it.

Frustrating..........