Need to update qBitTorrent to 4.5.2

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
The current FreeBSD port has been updated to 4.5.2. The package should be available soon.

Make sure you switch from the "quarterly" branch to the "latest" branch.

If it helps, here is the content of /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf in my jail. (Thanks to @Patrick M. Hausen for the cleaner method.)
Code:
FreeBSD: { url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest" }

Create the folder and file manually, since it likely doesn't yet exist in your jail's system.

You can use "echo" or "nano", or however you prefer to create/edit the text file.

Such as this, to create a brand new one that contains a single line (to use the "latest" branch):
Code:
mkdir -p /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos
echo 'FreeBSD: { url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest" }' > /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf

Don't edit the file /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
@winnielinnie It's sufficient to place FreeBSD: { url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest" } in that file. The contents of /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf and /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf are merged if the repos have identical names. Settings in the latter taking precedence.

I'm just going by what I read inside the file itself and from reading the FreeBSD forums. :wink:

/etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf
Code:
# $FreeBSD$
#
# To disable this repository, instead of modifying or removing this file,
# create a /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf file:
#
#   mkdir -p /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos
#   echo "FreeBSD: { enabled: no }" > /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf
#

EDIT: Oh you mean "that file" as in /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf ?

EDIT 2: So then my /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf can simply look like this?
Code:
FreeBSD: { url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest" }

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Exactly. This will override the url parameter of the file in /etc keeping everything else.

So clean, so lean! :cool:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
No need for qbittorrent, they both use the same package.
Isn't "quarterly" just a snapshot of "latest"? So if the most recent quarterly snapshot happens to have qBittorrent 4.5.0, won't you be stuck with this version until the next quarterly snapshot?

From what I understand, "latest" provides binary packages "made available as soon as they are built".

I had to switch to latest, since programs, such as yt-dlp need frequent updates to keep up with the changes of websites and APIs. Sticking to quarterly means I'd have to live with a non-working program for up to three months.

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
@winnielinnie is correct. Both packages - quarterly and latest - are at 4.5.0, which motivated this thread because apparently 4.5.0 is EOLed upstream.

But the latest ports branch just received an update to 4.5.2 yesterday as can be seen here:

The quarterly branch - currently 2023Q1 - will stay at 4.5.0 until Q2, because quarterly branches only receive security updates.

Which in turn means that in a couple of days the latest package will be 4.5.2 while the quarterly package will never change until next quarter.

Last edited:

Excaliber

Cadet
Where did you see that they blocked 4.5.0 and 4.5.1?
It's not working for me as well starting today but I didn't see any mention that they blocked it, do you have a reference?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I thought security related updates were pushed through immediately for the quarterly branch.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Yes. If it's security related and if the committer is aware of that fact and if the committer remembers to do that.

If it's security related
I wonder if "security" related is just a subjective term, which means something different between different people. (The users, the developers, the package maintainers, third-party, etc).

From what I understand, a user that has access to the qBittorrent (4.5.0? and 4.5.1) web GUI (same network, since let's not consider exposing the daemon to the internet) can arbitrarily read files anywhere on the same filesystem, using curl commands.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Right but that is not the topic of this thread. I was just outlining the official policy. The maintainer of the port needs to explicitly flag the update as a security fix and make sure the committer gets that message.

The above files and commands are all inside the jail. (You shouldn't be editing or creating system files in "TrueNAS proper".)