BUILD Mini-ITX C226 Haswell build

Interested in a mITX Haswell build?

• Yes, for both size and power!

Votes: 61 79.2%
  • No, I don't mind using a larger case.

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • No, the size and power are nice, but I really need more space/expansion on the board.

Votes: 10 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pretender

Cadet
Which good cooler i can buy ?
I get a coolermaster evo 212 but the backplate is too large so i am looking for an other one.

The Intel from the cpu box is not enough quiet for me.

Dmitry Nevozhay

Dabbler
Hi guys,
I've assembleda NAS with e3c226d2i + e3-1245v3... The monitoring of UEFI bios shows CPU temp about 56 - 60 degrees Celsius. Is it normal? Is bios setup mode equals to idle one? (If so, it's not normal)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
There is no "normal" except what is appropriate for your hardware. I will say that for a system that is idle that is VERY hot. Something is not set appropriately for your server's situation in any case.

madik

Explorer
Hi guys,
I've assembleda NAS with e3c226d2i + e3-1245v3... The monitoring of UEFI bios shows CPU temp about 56 - 60 degrees Celsius. Is it normal? Is bios setup mode equals to idle one? (If so, it's not normal)
In BIOS the CPU usually runs on full speed and since the stock cooler isnt very good the temperatures climb up very quickly.
The more accurate way of getting actual idle CPU temperuture would be in loaded system that supports correctly CPUs power management with idle states.

Dmitry Nevozhay

Dabbler
There is no "normal" except what is appropriate for your hardware. I will say that for a system that is idle that is VERY hot. Something is not set appropriately for your server's situation in any case.
Could you enter into UEFI bios setup to check what CPU temp your mobo shows? Just to compare what I should expect

Dmitry Nevozhay

Dabbler
In BIOS the CPU usually runs on full speed and since the stock cooler isnt very good the temperatures climb up very quickly.
The more accurate way of getting actual idle CPU temperuture would be in loaded system that supports correctly CPUs power management with idle states.
Thanks! Does FreeNAS support CPU power management? Could I monitor CPU temp from FreeNAS web GUI ?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Hate to burst your little party, but a stock cooler on a CPU that has all power savings disabled and is idle shouldn't do 60C. In fact, even fully loaded it shouldn't be regularly hitting 60C. Stock coolers may not be great, but they are definitely fully functional throughout the entire range the CPU is expected to operate in.

madik

Explorer
Haswell based CPUs are well known for their higher operationing temperatures in comparison with older chips like Sandy bridge. It uses some lower quality thermal compound and not the die soldering procces like Sandy bridge and other chips which was better transfering heat to the heatspreader and cooler.

Dmitry Nevozhay

Dabbler

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Haswell based CPUs are well known for their higher operationing temperatures in comparison with older chips like Sandy bridge. It uses some lower quality thermal compound and not the die soldering procces like Sandy bridge and other chips which was better transfering heat to the heatspreader and cooler.

Right... and that difference is noticable at high loads. Are you going to now tell me that his system that was idle is now suddenly fully loaded? You are arguing over points that do not matter. His system was idle, his system should NOT have been idling at 60C. In fact, if it were idling at 50C I'd *still* be worried about it. My systems typically idle at 30-35C. There's a big difference between idling at 35C and idling at 50C.

If you are a heat transfer wizard you can easily calculate the amount of heat load difference between 35C and 50C. I'll give you a hint.. if the fan remains at the same speed (which is not always the case but we'll be conservative for your own argument) and your air intake is constant it would be something around 47w more than idle. Sure sounds to me like that CPU that is rated for only 84w total isn't exactly idle. 47w more than idle basically means the CPU is already at something that is 60-65% of maximum load.

Heat transfer equations don't lie. ;)

madik

Explorer

bloomo

Explorer
Without getting into the fight too much, I have a 4770k running overclocked in a separate machine and a pentium in my freenas, both 4th gen Intel chips and I've done a ton of research on acceptable temps for them. I'd recommend 50 in BIOS is high. Up to about 45 I would call threshold. Maybe check your fan control settings in your BIOS which were recently updated for the version 2.0 BIOS of your board. The last thing to check would be your temps under OS conditions. There is a CLI script that you can run to get the temps of your cores. I'll find it and post here.

bloomo

Explorer
I think this is the script:
sysctl -a | egrep -E "cpu\.[0-9]+\.temp"
You'll have to run it as root.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I have a e3c226d2i + e3-1230v3 + node 304 and my temps across all cores are between 44-48C and motherboard reports 43C overall with freenas installed and basically sitting at idle(load avg. 0.00, 0.00, 0.00). I'm using the stock fan with the stock thermal compound. I would consider my build to be pretty basic and normal. My other computer for comparison is water cooled fx-8150 and it idles at 30C. So the 48C I'm seeing in my freenas build is a little high but i think it is normal.

Robert Smith

Patron
Anybody having luck enabling Watchdog on this build?

I get the following during start up.

Starting watchdog.
watchdogd: watchdog_patpat failed: Operation not supported
watchdogd: patting the dog: Operation not supported
/etc/rc: WARNING: failed to start watchdogd

Dmitry Nevozhay

Dabbler
Guys, what's the best ZFS pool configuration for 8 HDDs (4Tb each)? I would go with 1vdev of RAIDZ2 6+2 for parity. Is it OK? As I've read, for RAIDZ2 the number of disks should equals 2^n+2, i.e. 4,6,10...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Guys, what's the best ZFS pool configuration for 8 HDDs (4Tb each)? I would go with 1vdev of RAIDZ2 6+2 for parity. Is it OK? As I've read, for RAIDZ2 the number of disks should equals 2^n+2, i.e. 4,6,10...

What does this question ahve to do with the Mini_ITX C226 motherboard? Please start your own thread.

Dmitry Nevozhay

Dabbler
By the way, the temps of all cores measured from my FreeNAS are between 42 and 45С... Not 60 wich i saw in UEFI.

bloomo

Explorer
Those temps are just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.