Cheap Mini-ITX board recommendation for small and simple server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChinookTx

Dabbler
Hi all:

I'm trying to make a small NAS for my dad, and would like to reuse the Acer H341 case I have. The board is useless as the processor is 32 bits AFAIK. I believe if I can find a nice Mini-ITX board/processor combo, I can do this on the cheap.

The system will have a 4x2TB in Raid-Z1 and will store media files mostly, but also backup of data files. (All data on there is considered not essential and Z2 would be overkill). I'd like to have at least 8GB or ram in it but 16 would be better so I guess I need to memory slots.

What are people using as a Mini-ITX board/processor that is cheap yet works well with FreeNAS?

I've been out of the hardware loop for a long time so any pointers would be appreciated!

danb35

Hall of Famer
What are people using as a Mini-ITX board/processor that is cheap yet works well with FreeNAS?
I don't really think there is such a thing. The closest I know of would be the ASRock E3C226D2I for $209, plus a CPU of your choice. But for the price of that board, you could have an entire new system in the HPE Proliant ML10, and $40 left over. How important is the Mini-ITX form factor?

ChinookTx

Dabbler
Thanks for the reply. It is meant to go in a small (vented) cabinet by the TV/AV system so it'd be nice to keep the Mini-ITX form factor and be able to use the H341 case/backplane, but I get your point... If it ends up being more $$$, i'll have to reconsider (and take my ruler with me next time I visit!)

ChriZ

Patron
I've seen someone in the forums using a S5533GM2NR-LE motherboard.
It is an 1150 socket, so older gen, but it is a mini itx.
I was looking for one of those in the past for my firewall and they were around $100

Alecmascot

Guru
Why not use a HP microserver gen 7 N54L or N40L ?
Cheap as chips on ebay and rock solid with freenas.

Inxsible

Guru
Tyan S5533

I've seen someone in the forums using a S5533GM2NR-LE motherboard.
It is an 1150 socket, so older gen, but it is a mini itx.
EDIT: I should have read @ChriZ 's post. That someone would be me. I am using that board in a Node 304. See sig for complete specs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.