Octo-core Atom overkill for home setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xcom

Contributor
But playing ≠ transcoding, which is what we are trying to explain to you. So your example is not explaining whatever it is you are trying to explain. It's literally exactly what I explained in my example of why your comment about transcoding is incorrect.

You gota love the internet.

I think what he's trying to say is that when you play media from Plex on device X Plex will detect the device's capabilities and then either do transcoding (if X can't decode the format) or stream the file without transcoding (if X can play that file's format) - whether that's true or not I can't say since I dont't use Plex and only access the files on my server via my Windows 7 + XBMC media center

Shroom

Explorer
Is there any way to use a Windows Home Server to facilitate media streaming over a home network? I've recently set one up and am looking for any good use for it...

xcom

Contributor
I think what he's trying to say is that when you play media from Plex on device X Plex will detect the device's capabilities and then either do transcoding (if X can't decode the format) or stream the file without transcoding (if X can play that file's format) - whether that's true or not I can't say since I dont't use Plex and only access the files on my server via my Windows 7 + XBMC media center

Yes. That's what I am trying to say.
https://plexapp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/200250377-Transcoding-Media

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.