Migrate to Mini X

rwfitzy

Explorer
Hi. I'm planning to get a Mini X and migrate an old power sucking Dell 4U server. I haven't been in the Dell for years, it just sits on the rack running FreeNAS-9.2 to start and now TrueNAS-12.0-U8.1. I believe it's running on a couple of USB SATADOMs with 5 HDD. Could it be as easy as pulling the drives and putting in the Mini X, letting it import and show in storage?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Export your pool on the Dell first. Shutdown and pull the drives. Move the drives over to the Mini X, and then import the pool.

Davvo

MVP
Make sure to use 5900 or lower RPM disks since the Mini X's chassis can't properly manage the generated heat otherwise.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Mini X's chassis not good for 7200rpm disk? 5 HDD and 2 SSD
Hey @steven168

We have a Qualified Drive List on our site at truenas.com/mini but it's mostly about specific drives that can present a power/thermal challenge in the XL+ (8-bay) chassis - certain 7200rpm drives tend to consume more power and generate more heat. If you're going to put 7200rpm drives in an X/X+ you might want to consider increasing the fan speed in the BIOS.

Davvo

MVP
Mini X's chassis not good for 7200rpm disk? 5 HDD and 2 SSD
We had a user putting such drives in a Mini X and having unmanagable thermal issues.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Those Ablecom thingies are neat, but cooling is not their strong suit. They're not a disaster, unlike some retail chassis models we've seen over the years, but they do need some care.